What's new

First SE shave

T

true01

Well as the title states last night I had my first Se shave and all I can say is OMG I'm IN Love that had to of been the closest ,smoothest etc,etc, shave I have ever had. the razor is a GEM Micromatic OC I picked up at a junk store the other day and I finally found some Gem blades at CVS. Ive been wet shaving going on a couple months now starting with DE's and ventured into straights last month but nothing so far has beat the shave I got last night...anyways just wanted to share my newfound joy and Ill be looking for more SE's now....not gonna give up my straights but I might have to unload some DE's so I can pick up more SE's......have a great day.............

Congrats: You seem to be doing a great job on the most aggressive GEM out there. It's a great razor...actually, it's probably the best razor out there (for me, YMMV, take this with a grain of salt, etc).

"I picked up at a junk store the other day and I finally found some Gem blades at CVS. Ive been wet shaving going on a couple months now starting with DE's and ventured into straights last month but nothing so far has beat the shave I got last night...anyways just wanted to share my newfound joy and Ill be looking for more SE's now."

It's amazing, when you discovery how good SE shaving really is, compared to what you have experienced before, you just want to tell the world!

DD

Welcome to the Gemocracy! I too am convinced that the OC MM is the best razor out there. I like all of the Gems I own though - DEs not so much anymore.

Good to hear your first use of an SE went so well, I would guess your experience with straights probably helped. You may already know this but the CVS blades are very good blades, but they are carbon steel and will rust pretty quickly if not dried off after each use.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Welcome to the fold. You will shortly be receiving a PM stating how and when we are gonna take over :lol:

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Good to hear your first use of an SE went so well, I would guess your experience with straights probably helped. You may already know this but the CVS blades are very good blades, but they are carbon steel and will rust pretty quickly if not dried off after each use.

My first SE shave was excellent, also. I found the angles much more intuitive than with DE.

Well as the title states last night I had my first Se shave and all I can say is OMG I'm IN Love that had to of been the closest ,smoothest etc,etc, shave I have ever had. the razor is a GEM Micromatic OC I picked up at a junk store the other day and I finally found some Gem blades at CVS. Ive been wet shaving going on a couple months now starting with DE's and ventured into straights last month but nothing so far has beat the shave I got last night...anyways just wanted to share my newfound joy and Ill be looking for more SE's now....not gonna give up my straights but I might have to unload some DE's so I can pick up more SE's......have a great day.............

I'll say it again

The open comb micromatic is the most under rated razor ever! They are GREAT. Thanks for thinking outside of the box and trying the OCMM, true01.

Sigh. Another one...they keep showing up, what'll we do? There'll be no more decent SE razors left to pick up. The "Newbs" will get them all.

Well, all I can say is WELCOME, we all hope you enjoy your stay and remember these are not toys although you will enjoy playing with them.

Thanks to Tom, I learned that the Walgreens Gems are stainless steel-coated. No rust worries here.

I've been using the Walgreens Gems exclusively and am having a blast. How I was asleep at the switch on this current blade group buy I'll never know.:001_rolle

Around 6 weeks ago I started with the 1912 Damaskeene, then to a Micromatic Clog Pruf, then to a Micromatic Open Comb. My shaves have been nothing short of spectacular. I did not like the 1914 "Lift Here" Little Lathercatcher - could not quite hold the razor right in my hand.

Watch Mr. Guy's videos where he's using an MMOC - watch them a few times - and your technique will result in the best shaves ever. :thumbup1:

Re-reading true01's original post I realize my post may not have been accurate. You stated that you bought Gem blades at a CVS, none of the CVS stores around me carry any Gem blades, just their brand which are carbon steel. If the Gems you bought are the Blue Stars they are the carbon steel, the ones that just say GEM on the package are the stainless blades.

Sorry for an inaccurate response.

Still new to SE but my favorite has been, the MMOC. Thus far, I have tried Gem Junior Bar, MM Clog Pruf, MMOC, Gem 1912 Demaskeene, and Gem Junior. I like the MMOC so much I got 5...just in case they stop making them. They have? Good thing I got 5.

Top Bottom