C:/cygwin/bin 110G 51G 59G 47% /usr/bin
C:/cygwin/lib 110G 51G 59G 47% /usr/lib
C:/cygwin 110G 51G 59G 47% /
C: 110G 51G 59G 47% /cygdrive/c
E: 977M 103M 875M 11% /cygdrive/e

lj@lj-laptop ~
$

Last edited:
I'm no guru either, but I like using linux. I've been running debian on my home computers for several years now. My wife uses debian on her laptop. It has saved us a lot of money and frustration over the years. We only boot into Windows when we watch netflix, which doesn't support linux.

I've been using Ubuntu 11.04 for the last three months and don't miss Windows. Only time I use Windows is for Adobe products, like Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.. Some people argue that Gimp is just as good but honestly, Adobe is sleek. But you pay (money) for that one.

I am more of a fan than a guru. My first linux machine was a 386 running Slackware in text mode. It operated my 24/7 PPP link to a local unix server on the 'net.

Despite a long involvement with linux systems, I am an amateur. I do have several linux machines today. I use ubuntu, debian, fedora, and suse. My most-used linux system is a eee pc netbook that now runs EasyPeasy.

Use PCLinuxOS on my desktop, have used Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora and a few others over the years but I am not claiming any expertise since I am at home and not on the road.:lol:

Ive been using Ubuntu for years and am familiar with Red Hat and Suse as well. Expert? Doubtful but I haven't gotten myself into a jam that I couldn't fix.

Wondoze Sux.

Maybe someone could break this down for me. If I'm interested in giving Linux a go, which version is the best to try out? I've been using DOS/Windows systems literally since I was 4 or 5 years old (having a dad that worked in computer sales meant always having one around), and have fond (if probably rose-tinted) memories of Apple ][ in grade school, and I can certainly work my way around contemporary Apple OSes (I mean, they're so user friendly, how could one not be able to?). Linux has always sort of piqued my interest, but I've never really given it a go.

What are the pros/cons of using Linux? I understand that one of the cons is that I'm not going to be able to run all the applications that I can in Windows, but I've never really had a grasp on the pros.

Hope this isn't too much of a thread hijack!

What are the pros/cons of using Linux? I understand that one of the cons is that I'm not going to be able to run all the applications that I can in Windows, but I've never really had a grasp on the pros.

Linux systems are a bit more secure than windows systems. And if you like to tinker you can really customize your desktop. I like debian for its ease of installing new software and for its free repository of thousands of applications. There's lots of interesting information at debian.org Check out the social contract link.

What's your question grasshopper?

I do have a question but I'll save it for my next post. I do like to know who the penguins are so we can help each other if need be.

I installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron) several years ago on an aging XP machine (Dual boot) and it was pretty cool. Purchased a Mac, tossed the HP, and forgot about it.

When Acer introduced the first Aspire One Linux OS netbooks I bought one but have always wanted to replace Linpus Linux Light with something better. For whatever reason that model netbook has always had problems utilizing any other distro of Linux. Part of the problem, I think, is the Atheros wireless card.

Perhaps there is finally something that works "out of the box".

I installed Linux Mint "gloria" on my parent's aging Dell XP machine about 2 years ago and it's been running fine ever since. It has saved their butts on at least two occasions when my mother clicked on spam mail attachments containing viruses (phony package deliver email scam).

Linux 11.04 final release is available NOW. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
OK, now for the question:

When I installed Ubuntu 8.04 as a dual boot the installation process was very simple: you installed the live cd, chose install, and I chose 'dual boot'. Instead of dividing it half and half, I chose a custom partition size of 15 gigs. Done.

In this video, this young lady goes through a lot of twists and turns doing the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhnLk3gviWY

What exactly is she doing here? It looks to me like she's creating "sub-partitions" within the partion she'll be dedicating to Ubuntu.

Is that what she's doing? creating one subpartition for the Ubuntu OS itself and another for any files she'll be using?

I know that some folks do this in the event the OS screws up. That way they can simply strip out the OS, replace it, and keep working.

I'm very curious to know about this.

My eee pc 900A has an Atheros wifi card. I installed EasyPeasy (formerly known as ubuntu eee). It works quite well. Drivers for the wifi and mouse pad are fully functional. Much better than the original, dumbed-down OS which it shipped with.

I haven't used Easy Peasy but I am familiar with what it is.

The Acer Linux netbooks are an unusual animal. There doesn't seem to any replacement distro that works very well without a lot of tweaking (different custom kernels) that is out of the area of expertise for a casual user.

Why Acer went with the *** hacked distro they went with is beyond me...or just about anyone else who uses Linux.

Maybe someone could break this down for me. If I'm interested in giving Linux a go, which version is the best to try out? I've been using DOS/Windows systems literally since I was 4 or 5 years old (having a dad that worked in computer sales meant always having one around), and have fond (if probably rose-tinted) memories of Apple ][ in grade school, and I can certainly work my way around contemporary Apple OSes (I mean, they're so user friendly, how could one not be able to?). Linux has always sort of piqued my interest, but I've never really given it a go.

Hope this isn't too much of a thread hijack!

Check out Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a Debian variant and is built and maintained specifically for people coming over from Windows. Very simple to install and maintain. Great community support if you have ANY questions.

You can download an ISO file that you can use to create a bootable DVD. From the DVD you can run Linux same as you would if it was actually installed. If you like it, it's a very easy install from there. You can even leave your Windows system intact if you have drive space to install Linux.

Give it a try. Take a look to see what FREE software is available and you will be amazed. There is a lot of Windows software that doesn't work well on Linux, however you will find that 99.9% of the Windows software you want has a Linux counterpart that is FREE and typically better. OpenOffice vs MS Office is a great example. People think they cant do anything without Office. Wrong. OpenOffice is free and it's vastly superior.

Give it a shot. With the ISO, there is no risk.

I'm looking forward to Ubuntu 11.04 tonight. I'm by no means a guru, but I run Linux on my laptop at home (and have been for about 3 years). My wife even knows how to work it. Lack of Netflix support is definitely a drawback though, and my laptop is too slow to run Windows in a virtual environment.

I have everyone in the family converted to Ubuntu, a bunch of friends too. Even the kids like it, it's nice not having to work FOR your computer.

Boots up fast, runs fast, is fast, fast is fast.

I like Ubuntu for starters. The community's large enough that any problem you might encounter has already been posted by someone dumber than you and solved by someone smarter. A great feel-good OS.

And when I get tired of all that delicious open source freedom, I just boot up my Mac. All of the stability, none of the choice. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom