What's new

Least cost option (LCO) strop

Over time, I have seen many posts from members looking for a least cost option (LCO) beginner's strop. Here is the solution that worked for me in the US. I am not knowledgeable about leather craft suppliers elsewhere, but if other members are, please add that information to this thread- about the prices in leather craft places outside of the US.

You can go to Tandy Leather, in person or online and for $17 buy a 2" wide top-grain vegetable tanned cowhide leather strap- Item #4535-00 These are usually ~50" long. It is better to go in person, so you can feel the strap. You are feeling for as smooth a non-flawed surface as possible, although minor cosmetic defects are fine; you want a smooth and level surface on the strap.

Cut a piece off about 20-21" long. Take a shoelace, some nylon cord, or really any stout thing to tie it with. Use the hole that is usually punched in the top part of the strap to put it on the rack first, or just punch one. Tie it to a towel bar or hook in the wall or around anything stable. Doorknobs are not great, unless you keep the door shut. You will get two strops for the price of one strap. That works out to about $10 a strop. Plus, you will have 8-9" or so left to make a simple paddle strop for pasting, travel or whatever you choose. Barge cement is used to glue leather to wood or other surfaces.

I often frequent the junk/antique shops and occasionally come across an old battered strop on which the leather is shot. I buy them, do not pay more than a couple of dollars, and salvage the old hardware. If you want to add a cloth component to your LCO strop, thrift shops often have used wide cotton webbing belts that will do fine, ~$3.

Good luck with this alternative, if you try it. I have posted a picture of my very well worn LCO strop. The top hardware came off a $1 purchase at a junk store. The brass screw is called a Chicago screw so the top hardware can be used again. I had this screw in the house, as I do leather work. The leather is the item referred to above from Tandy. I sent the other piece from this strap to a member who bought a beginner's straight from me, as he did not have a strop to use. BTW, if you leave vegetable tanned leather in the sun for a few days it will darken to lovely color. Any leather conditioner can be used to condition, if your strop dries out over time. Or, you can just run the strop vigorously with your palm and it will refresh.

I hope you find this information useful.

Last edited:
Great post. And some great ideas too for getting the hardware.

My beginners strop was a bench strop. In fact, I still use it on most of my razors after sharpening them. I bought a piece of tooling leather from Hobby Lobby that is 3.5" X 9" for about $4. then I got a 3.5" X 24" red oak board from Home Depot for $1.50. They even cut it down for me to 9" since I don't have a saw. I used Elmer's spray adhesive to hold the leather to the board, and placed some heavy books on it with the leather side down overnight. Using it really helped me with my stropping technique. I double the number of laps I do on my hanging strop to make up for less length. If you wanted to you could even put some pasted balsa no the other side.

Here is a picture of it under a couple of my razors.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Great post. And some great ideas too for getting the hardware.

My beginners strop was a bench strop. In fact, I still use it on most of my razors after sharpening them. I bought a piece of tooling leather from Hobby Lobby that is 3.5" X 9" for about $4. then I got a 3.5" X 24" red oak board from Home Depot for $1.50. They even cut it down for me to 9" since I don't have a saw. I used Elmer's spray adhesive to hold the leather to the board, and placed some heavy books on it with the leather side down overnight. Using it really helped me with my stropping technique. I double the number of laps I do on my hanging strop to make up for less length. If you wanted to you could even put some pasted balsa no the other side.

Here is a picture of it under a couple of my razors.

proxy.php

Excellent solution as well, so you can choose to do a bench strop for about $6.50, or a hanging strop for $10. Both quite reasonable and useable. Thanks for adding to this thread.

You can also buy leather strips in a variety of tanning styles mail order from Zack White leather if you don't, as I don't, live near a Tandy. Can't see what you are buying first that way but the latigo they sent me is superb. They also sell Dee rings and Chicago screws. Their strips are longer but you can get 2-4 strops out of one.

You can also buy leather strips in a variety of tanning styles mail order from Zack White leather if you don't, as I don't, live near a Tandy. Can't see what you are buying first that way but the latigo they sent me is superb. They also sell Dee rings and Chicago screws. Their strips are longer but you can get 2-4 strops out of one.

Thanks, this is the just the type of information I think the members might want. The thickness of their leather seems to be about 9/10 ounce, which is great for strops. :thumbup1:

Thanks for the posts. I am interested in this very much. If anyone has any more info keep on throwing it out there. I might take a project like this on in a few weeks or so. Great thread!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
full

I made this from 18.00 worth of bridle leather from Larry at Whipped dog, and raided all the hardware and cotton webbing from a sharpening strop I got from Superior Shave.
The 18.00 got me 3 feet of 3" leather, from which I cut all the pieces from, leaving me about a 13" left for a nice paddle strop. The sharpening strop from whence all the shiney hardware came from was 30.00, so this is not the LCO strop, however if you just buy a shorter piece of leather and use Home Depot d-rings and what not, I think you can have something very nice for very little.

BTW the little specks you see on the strop is graphite powder that I hoped would lessen the draw after I mistakenly over oiled the leather:blink: If not oiled the leather has a nice moderate draw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I do have a Tandy leather in my area!!

I think I want to make a paddle strop to apply some pastes to. What is the best way make the paddle?

Thanks for the link David. What is the best way to make the paddle? Do they sell the general paddle shape with the handle?

Thanks

You can also use Barge cement, available at Tandy. Paddles can be easily cut on a scroll saw or band saw and then sanded. Bench strops do not need cutting and are, therefore, a bit easier as a first project.

Glad some folks are enjoying the thread.

I made this from 18.00 worth of bridle leather from Larry at Whipped dog, and raided all the hardware and cotton webbing from a sharpening strop I got from Superior Shave.
The 18.00 got me 3 feet of 3" leather, from which I cut all the pieces from, leaving me about a 13" left for a nice paddle strop. The sharpening strop from whence all the shiney hardware came from was 30.00, so this is not the LCO strop, however if you just buy a shorter piece of leather and use Home Depot d-rings and what not, I think you can have something very nice for very little.

BTW the little specks you see on the strop is graphite powder that I hoped would lessen the draw after I mistakenly over oiled the leather:blink: If not oiled the leather has a nice moderate draw.

Nice project this! Good tip about oiling, go easy with it. Particularly, if you use a thick oil like neetsfoot. A very, very light coat.

There is an easier product to use called Lexol that can be applied with a soft cloth. Again, with conditioner or oil less is more. You may always do a second coat but getting too much out is a pain. Saddle soap will do it, with some good old-fashioned elbow grease.

Legion

Staff member
Thanks for the link David. What is the best way to make the paddle? Do they sell the general paddle shape with the handle?

Thanks

I just trace the handle shape from a cardboard pattern, then cut it out with a bandsaw. I round it all with a Dremel, sand it, and coat it with estapol. I also put rubber feet on the back so I can us it as a bench strop as well.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Awesome guys!! Thanks for the info.... a new strop plus new power tools=Greatness!!

I'll be posting back with a follow up in a few weeks and possibly for some more help...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Legion, those red wedges really look good...i need to find me some red plexi:thumbup1:

Here is a link to a post I made a while back:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=186677

I sold my extra latigo and the screws and rings and leather to make a duplicate to another member for my cost, not counting shipping, of 12.50. Not a bad way to go for a lovely latigo strop. The fabrication takes about an hour more or less depending upon your level of skill.

Problem is you end up buying enough leather for 4 strops if you buy the strip yourself, but you can make belts for the kids, a bench strop and have a spare leather for your original in case you screw up.

Last edited:
Inspired by this thread, I went to Hobby Lobby this morning to get the materials for a Paddle Strop. They had a precut pine paddle that was 3 1/2" wide x 22" long ($6). I ripped it down to 2 1/2" wide and sanded it up. The leather they had in bundles of cut-offs called farmers leather. I was able to find a bundle that I figured had at least a few strips long enough to work($6). I chose the two best pieces of leather that had the smoothest finish and made a double sided strop. The leather is not too bad, but not the greatest so I will probably do this again and order some top notch Latigo or similar. All in all, not bad for <$15 invested and < 2hrs work. Thanks for the good idea. :thumbup1:

Inspired by this thread, I went to Hobby Lobby this morning to get the materials for a Paddle Strop. They had a precut pine paddle that was 3 1/2" wide x 22" long ($6). I ripped it down to 2 1/2" wide and sanded it up. The leather they had in bundles of cut-offs called farmers leather. I was able to find a bundle that I figured had at least a few strips long enough to work($6). I chose the two best pieces of leather that had the smoothest finish and made a double sided strop. The leather is not too bad, but not the greatest so I will probably do this again and order some top notch Latigo or similar. All in all, not bad for <$15 invested and < 2hrs work. Thanks for the good idea. :thumbup1:

Nicely done!

Newbie here that has been lurking for a few days. Still putting my equiptment together, and I have to say that the amont of info is amazing in these threads.... I came looking, and I left having found!!! Happy Easter holiday to all!!!

Top Bottom