What's new

Pocket Watch

Here's the good news, I think. While cruising through a few men's clothing stores recently I noticed more and morre 3-piece suits, jacket, vest (waistcoat) and trousers, on the racks. I know they never left but they have not been as popular as of late. The vest makes carrying a pocket watch much more appealing and a safer place to carry your watch, IMHO.

I still carry mine, vest or no vest, in my trouser's pocket. To ensure that it does not come in contact with anything else in the pocket, I look for trousers that have that little coin pocket sewn in the right pocket.

I have my eye on a couple of fairly nice and reasonably priced Hamilton 992/992B watches. Hopefully soon one will be mine... or both.

Mike

Does anyone use a Pocket Watch. I did for sometime, a new one I bought in Kohls, nothing special obviously. Any preference to pocket versus wrist. I am not a jewelery guy, not even a wedding ring so it kind of worked for me.

I use a pocket watch, no wrist watch.

I have a passion for pocketwatches. Here are mine:

proxy.php

1957 Ball-Record railroad watch (21j, 16s, 8 adj). 10kt gold-filled case.
I have this exact same model, given to me by my grandfather.

Does anyone on here work on pocket watches? I have a few parts watches I me never going to use. I don't have the info right now but if you are interested pm me and I will let you know.

Ezmike,

I noticed in recent years that waistcoats have been making a return to fashion, I've seen more people (and younger people, such as myself) wearing them. I bought a couple myself and I regularly wear a four-pocket seven-button waistcoat (almost on a daily basis! It's so comfortable) and I always wear my pocket-watch with it.

Gman,

I wear a pocketwatch on a daily basis. I've loved them ever since I was a kid, and when I hit my 21st birthday a couple of years back, I decided I was finally going to buy one. My first purchase was the Waltham M1895 (which you can see on the previous page). The day I bought that watch, I stopped wearing wristwatches for good. Haven't touched one since then. Ever. Pocket-watches are classier, more refined and easier to read (and with my eyesight, that's incredibly important!)

DE Shaver,

That's a pretty cool conicidence! Can I see your Ball-Record as well? Mine's a 435C model.

Not a problem. You can get yourself a chain and a leather pouch and wear it on your belt.
Not a bad idea. I've got the chain already.
When I'm not wearing a waistcoat, I put my pocket-watch into the watch-pockets of my trousers.
My dress pants have these pockets, but unfortunately my daily-wear khakis don't .
Here's the good news, I think. While cruising through a few men's clothing stores recently I noticed more and morre 3-piece suits, jacket, vest (waistcoat) and trousers, on the racks. I know they never left but they have not been as popular as of late. The vest makes carrying a pocket watch much more appealing and a safer place to carry your watch, IMHO.

I still carry mine, vest or no vest, in my trouser's pocket. To ensure that it does not come in contact with anything else in the pocket, I look for trousers that have that little coin pocket sewn in the right pocket.
I might have to look into this option when it comes time to pick up a couple of new suits.

Thanks all!

I look for trousers that have that little coin pocket sewn in the right pocket.

That ain't your coin pocket, buddy. That's your watch-pocket. It's what it is, it's what it was, it's what it will ever be.

That ain't your coin pocket, buddy. That's your watch-pocket. It's what it is, it's what it was, it's what it will ever be.

It may be a watchpocket by history or design but I'm telling you, here in the States, if you ask the salesperson "what's the little pocket in the trousers for" I'll bet the response will not be a watch. I've asked it and nearly every time coins is the answer. I presume it is because none of them, even the older salespeople, consider a pocket watch as a possibility.

I personally do not care what is their intended purpose so long as they continue to be there.

I do appreciate the reply.

Let me tell you, that Hamilton 950 and Ball Record are beautiful timepieces.

Mike

Last edited:
Actually those little pockets at one time were for a pocketwatch but over time they have been turned into coin pockets and made smaller. Most pocketwatches wouldn't fit into them anyway.

I don't find pocket-watches that impractical. I can see why people might think that, but I don't. *shrug*. And yes, there are times where style must come first.

I don't find pocket-watches that impractical. I can see why people might think that, but I don't. *shrug*. And yes, there are times where style must come first.

Funny. These days most younger folks don't wear watches. They use their phone or Ipod as their watch which in the end is a 21st century equivalent of a pocket-watch.

I'm a young folk, I wear a watch. A pocket-watch to boot. I don't like trying to squint at digital read-outs, I find wristwatches uncomfortable, and pocket-watches look cooler and I find them easier to read 'cause they're larger and clearer and don't have all that extra crap on the dial to get in the way.

Funny. These days most younger folks don't wear watches. They use their phone or Ipod as their watch which in the end is a 21st century equivalent of a pocket-watch.
I never thought of it that way, but of course you are right. Phones are high-tech pocket watches. Almost like the watch has come full circle.

Where do you get your pocket watch serviced?

I dunno if you still have these guys in the USA, but they're called...

...watchmakers.

I take my watches to one in the center of town to get them serviced. A pocket watch (or any mechanical watch) should be serviced once every 5-10 years.

Does anyone use a Pocket Watch. I did for sometime, a new one I bought in Kohls, nothing special obviously. Any preference to pocket versus wrist. I am not a jewelery guy, not even a wedding ring so it kind of worked for me.

I do. I had a surgery that put a plate and screws in my forearm, right down to my wrist. My watch sat right on the edge of the plate...felt horrible.

When in college, a friend bought me a nice pocketwatch and I never really used it until then...but now I'm converted!

Sorry, no pictures of it on my PC.

Has a train on the outside. Looks very close to this:

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have three that I carry when I'm out and about. I don't wear them to work because I'm constantly lifting things all day and I would die if one were broken. I have a gold one that my grandmother gave me when I was young. It's a quartz movement Embassy I believe. Nothing expensive, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. The other is a silver Danbury that my girlfriend gave me last Christmas. It has my initials engraved on the front of the hunter case and a message on the back. It is invaluable to me even though it has a low monetary value. The third watch is an Caravelle 17 jewel that my grandfather gave me. I don't take it out much, but it still keeps excellent time when wound. I would love to collect them, but my current income doesn't allow that.

Top Bottom