What's new

now that i've milled my Palmolive shavestick...

and shaved with it the last two nights, I can honestly say that I love this stuff. for a relatively inexpensive shave stick it really is an all around quality product. it smells good, it lathers like a champ and is pretty slick.

I just ordered 2 Arko shavesticks tonight too and will soon be ordering some Speick. how would you say these shave sticks perform when compared to Palmolive?

Arko is very nice as well. It lathers and feels much like MWF or Geo F. Trumpers triple milled soap. Its not as supper hydrating as MWF but other than that I think its nicely in the ball park in most other characteristics.

Arko is very similar to Palmolive actually. Loads of dense and slick lather with ease. Arko actually leaves my skin feeling much better than Palm though.

Palmolive smells better though

Speick and Palmolive are in the same ballpark. I like speick a little bit better due to scent.

Arko performs well but kinda stinks. It's a love it or hate it type of thing.

Arko is very similar to Palmolive actually. Loads of dense and slick lather with ease. Arko actually leaves my skin feeling much better than Palm though.

Palmolive smells better though

incidentally, I came across someone's wetshaving blog, probably someone from B&B, and they likened the smell of the Arko shavestick to that of a urinal puck :lol:. guess i'll find out for myself

Arko lathers up really nicely but IMO the lather is not nearly as slick as euro palmolive or Tabac for that matter. For me, Palmolive is still the best bang for the buck. At 0.95 € for a stick it is in a league of its own.

ARKO reeks. Performance is great, but man does it stink, it stinks so bad that I had to throw it out.
The only shave product I have ever thrown away actually.

Palmolive & Speick is similar, with Palmolive being a little thicker & more shiny, probably due to more tallow-content.
Speick smells better & works wonders on slightly irritated skin.
Both lathers very easily & are not at all picky with water types, amount of water or brush being used.
But if I have to pick a winner it will be Palmolive.
Both products are pillars in my rotation.

Arko really is like marmite you either love it or hate it, It performs well although I prefer to use it with a stiff boar or horse hair brush
Palmolive without a doubt for the money is the best soap around,lathers up a treat and smells good too and at 0.48p a stick it's a no brainer, as for speick
I haven't tried that yet but it's on my list to do,s
Also the tallow erasmic stick is cheap & good if you can find it

I had my first shave today with a Palmolive stick and I loved it. :w00t:

I liked the scent, the way it lathered, and the overall way it moisturized my face. I used a vintage Fuller brush handle that was refinished by harvitz81 with a TGN knot and it face lathered like a champ.

I had a similar great experience with Speick and I have a couple of Arko sticks to try too.

Good to know about the similiar products because my Palmolive sticks arrived yesterday and I was really impressed by the shave last night.

A quick question. Do they all come in similar packaging? I probably should not have ripped so much foil off my Palmolive stick and I'm wondering how best to store it.

incidentally, I came across someone's wetshaving blog, probably someone from B&B, and they likened the smell of the Arko shavestick to that of a urinal puck :lol:. guess i'll find out for myself

It smells like cheap soap. Which is what it is, of course. I'm not huge on scents in the morning anyways so I don't mind it, and the performance is great.

I LOVE my Palmolive stick and will be bulk ordering them as soon as it's finished. Have Arko being shipped to me right now, and will try Speick as soon as my Tabac stick is done.

Good to know about the similiar products because my Palmolive sticks arrived yesterday and I was really impressed by the shave last night.

A quick question. Do they all come in similar packaging? I probably should not have ripped so much foil off my Palmolive stick and I'm wondering how best to store it.

Twist-up shave stick containers from WCS! I'm picking mine up today, will let you know how the Palm fits.

Edit: Picking up tomorrow...

Last edited:
Yeah I'd love to know what fits in there.

It should fit since 50g is about 1.75oz and these sticks are 2oz. I might have to grate it a bit but that's ok. The Arko stick I should be able to just pack in, but the MWF that I want a stick of will need to be grated. I should take pics and do a thread with the whole process.

Top Bottom