What's new

Strange Question of the Day: Vintage Gillette's!

Ok, here is the strange question of the day. On vintage Gillette razors, the blade almost seems too big for the razor, and the "blade tabs" (I don't know the proper term for these) significantly hang off past the ends of the razor. These result in a significantly sharp edge that can cut into your nose if you are really sloppy, or just not at all paying attention. :blush::blushing:

I have several newer razors (a Lord Tech with the Merkur like head, and a Muhle R89), and these are designed differently so as to cover the entire blade, so these "blade tabs" don't hang out past the end of the razor.

So a question for the Vintage Gillette experts: Why in your estimation were the Vintage Gillette's designed in this manner?

Is there some benefit I am missing? Were blades shorter at some point in history? Is it just a result of the constant reworking of the DE blade?

I would consider this "feature" to be a flaw in the design. :lol::lol:

Last edited:
I've never seen any ads advertising the side tabs as a feature, although older blades were made with out those side tabs, including very early Gillette blades.

But I sure do miss them when handling SE blades. The side tabs make it easier to hold the blade for placement, removal, and disposal. IMHO. Haven't tried a safety razor in which the blade ends are flush with the razor to comment on it .

So, I can see the side tabs being developed as a feature for ease of handling or safety.

S

siouxsie

I'm pretty sure the blue blades had them? But I don't feel like digging through my stash...anyhow, this issue applies to all the DE razors they made until they stopped making them if I recall correctly. I know for sure the PAL blades I have have the tabs.

The new Muhle heads take care of this problem, as do the Feather stainless, Futur, PILS, ...and I don't remember about the regular Merkurs, but I'm sure someone can chime in.

I don't know why they are there - but the worse cut I ever got with a DE was from one of those "end tabs" - perfect term, by the way - and I cut my nose!

S

siouxsie

I don't know why they are there - but the worse cut I ever got with a DE was from one of those "end tabs" - perfect term, by the way - and I cut my nose!

I've done the same with the E-W passes. I've learned to be a bit more careful.

I've cut my fingers on those tabs when trying to untwist the head of 3 piece razors. I sometimes wish they weren't there, but they are helpful when unloading a blade from a TTO.

The reason for the end tabs on newer razor blades is the center bar on the razors. Without the side tabs, there would be little to no way to connect both sides of the blade. The older razor blades only had three holes, with metal in between, so there was no need for the extra metal on the sides.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The original gillette blades (three hole) had rounded ends.
In 1928 Autostrop was successfully selling razor blades that fit Gillettes.
The Autostrop design had aligning pins that fit into the four notches made by the little wings on the end of the blade, which were pretty rectangular, with the end wings.
Gillette then basically copied the Autostrop design, and was sued.
It was so nasty, and so appeared that Gillette would lose, that Gillette bought Autostrop outright.
Minor additional changes were made in the blade history to accomodate other head designs, including the addition of the 2, then 4 vertical slots, and the changing of the hole design.
The last change came in 1933, when indents were added to the four corners we spoke of earlier.
The DE blade shape has pretty much remained unchanged since then.
The flat end "wings" were actually advertised by Gillette as a "feature" that provided a more sure grip when changing blades than the previously rounded ends as provided on the 1904 - 1928 model.

EDIT: It was Autostrop NOT Probak.

Last edited:
I've cut my fingers on those tabs when trying to untwist the head of 3 piece razors. I sometimes wish they weren't there, but they are helpful when unloading a blade from a TTO.

SAFETY SLEEVE to the rescue!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

Attachments

• $Safety sleeve.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 398

I have never cut myself, but I always use a hand towel or washcloth to hold the head when turning the TTO knob for this reason. Those tabs are very helpful when loading and unloading blades to me.

June 1930 Advertisement

Looking at that picture makes me convinced they are there because without them, the blade couldn't hold itself together. They couldn't make the blade wider, because they would then stick over the combs of the open combs and the bars of the other razors. So they had to add on tabs to the end. And when life gives you lemons, you sell it as lemonade!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Looking at that picture makes me convinced they are there because without them, the blade couldn't hold itself together. They couldn't make the blade wider, because they would then stick over the combs of the open combs and the bars of the other razors. So they had to add on tabs to the end. And when life gives you lemons, you sell it as lemonade!

They advertise the notched ends (the four indentations) as necessary because of the new re-inforced corners of the razor heads being used.
Stating that this method holds the blade more firmly, and prevents blade tugging on the hair.

It's in the text of that advertisement, and as a separate and specific item in another one from Scientific American also from 1930.

But I'm sure you're right about Gillette saying what needs to be said in order to make sales.
Let us not forget the Gillette Ad that states the early 1900's version can give you 40 comfortable shaves without stropping.

Last edited:
Top Bottom