What's new

ironing shirts

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
i'm a big fan of the brooks brother's wrinkle free cotton shirts. Not only are they easy to manage and do not require dry cleaning, but starch doesn't seem to help them at all.

Easily worth the extra couple bucks.

+1

Its Brooks Brothers and Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit non-iron dress shirts for me. Great quality shirts at good prices. Jos A Banks shirts are too blousey for me.

+1 on the Jos. A. Bank shirts. Amazing product. They may be pricey but a bargain in the long run. These shirts are built to last. They are cut big. I take the athletic cut depite the fact that there is nothing athletic about my build.

If you want to keep it around $20, I would look at the Stafford line from JCP.

Anybody have experience with the new Kirland styles from Costco? They are non-iron now. I am a fan of the exact sleeve length as well. You usually dont see this in bargain priced shirts. They feel like quality and have some nice traditional patterns. Everything seems right about them except the fact that they are at Costco.

+1 on the Jos. A. Bank shirts. Amazing product. They may be pricey but a bargain in the long run. These shirts are built to last. They are cut big. I take the athletic cut depite the fact that there is nothing athletic about my build.

If you want to keep it around $20, I would look at the Stafford line from JCP.

Anybody have experience with the new Kirland styles from Costco? They are non-iron now. I am a fan of the exact sleeve length as well. You usually dont see this in bargain priced shirts. They feel like quality and have some nice traditional patterns. Everything seems right about them except the fact that they are at Costco.

Maybe I can get them tailored and come out under $50....

I know there are different fabrics to consider (100% cotton vs egyptian cotton vs no wrinkle fabrics, etc) when ironing your shirts but I don't seem to have much luck with my 100% cotton shirts for some reason. when I iron them they still look wrinkled. do you guys always use starch when ironing shirts or is there some masonic secret to get your shirts nice and crisp?

dip starching in rice or corn starch. its somewhat time consuming but my shirts have literally stood up on their own after ironing. no wrinkles, even after a full days wear. i know a place to get the basic equivalent of the antique starch as well if youd be interested.

The most important thing is to wash and dry the shirt with the fewest items possible. If you overcrowd your washing machine or dryer with clothes, you will get wrinkles that are nearly impossible to remove.

On a side note, I prefer shirts that require ironing over the iron-free ones. I find the material in wrinkle-free shirts feel subpar and less weighty/substantial to their traditional "wrinkly" counterparts, if that makes any sense.

On a side note, I prefer shirts that require ironing over the iron-free ones. I find the material in wrinkle-free shirts feel subpar and less weighty/substantial to their traditional "wrinkly" counterparts, if that makes any sense.

I agree. it reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where George is wearing the suit that makes the 'wooshing' sound. that's what some of these fabrics remind me of

I used the spray bottle method lastnight and it worked perfectly. I was afraid of leaving water spots on the fabric but so far so good

Gas,

Suggest going to Penney's...their line of wrinkle free are amazing and I've never ironed a one, and look fine during the day with my suit.

My only technique is that I wash them, then dry them for 10 mins on low. Hang them slightly damp and presto...no iron required.

I recently bought a couple of shirts from a different vendor, name escapes me but they are sold at Macy's and they flat out suck...I looked like a wrinkled piece of parchment paper after my technique, wet iron...whatever I try.

So, back to JC Penney it is!

Definitely try adding a little moisture, as recommended.

I can usually iron most of my shirts to unusual crispness with nothing more than a spray bottle and a screamingly hot iron, but on a few of my 100% cotton (usually the higher end Made-to-Measure stuff) I can't get that nice crispness without a healthy application of starch.

Lately though, I've been dropping my shirts off at a trusted local cleaners for laundering and pressing. The attention to detail can't touch the 45+ mins per shirt that I'd put in at home, but it's a tremendous time savings AND they can get it crisper without starch than I could even dream of!

*EDIT* Sorry, just saw that you did try the dampness thing. Glad it worked for you!

Last edited:
Glad to see there are others here who iron for themselves. I credit my mother who decided my love for 100% cotton during high school ( a rather "preppie" period for me) warranted my learning how to iron. IIRC she said something to the effect of "If you want to wear the stuff and look nice, you're going to have to iron it." And, my Grandmother who taught me the basic technique I still use today. All of my local cleaners don't seem to know how to appropriately clean and starch a business shirt. Too many mornings trying to get ready and a button breaks on the only clean shirt I have that came from the cleaners... no thanks. As well, I've always heard shirts last longer when not taken to the cleaners. Anyway, here's how I normally iron a dress shirt.

1.) Spray starch on collar (both sides), yolk, cuffs and sleeves. Let rest for 2-4 mins.
2.) Iron sections in the order they were starched.
3.) Spray starch on front and back of shirt. Let rest 2-4 mins.
4.) Repeat step 2 finishing with front of shirt paying particular attention to pocket and button placket.

I guess my rest period accomplishes the goal of imparting moisture into the fabric, not unlike spraying with water. So there it is. As always, YMMV.

BTW I too iron my handkerchiefs, even the couple of plaid, "weekend" pocket ones. Just seem to like them better that way.

Anyway, here's how I normally iron a dress shirt.

1.) Spray starch on collar (both sides), yolk, cuffs and sleeves. Let rest for 2-4 mins.
2.) Iron sections in the order they were starched.
3.) Spray starch on front and back of shirt. Let rest 2-4 mins.
4.) Repeat step 2 finishing with front of shirt paying particular attention to pocket and button placket.

I guess my rest period accomplishes the goal of imparting moisture into the fabric, not unlike spraying with water. So there it is. As always, YMMV.

BTW I too iron my handkerchiefs, even the couple of plaid, "weekend" pocket ones. Just seem to like them better that way.

I like to rotate my shirt around the ironing board, starting with the front/left of the shirt and back to the front/right. I then iron the sleeves and collar

I know there are different fabrics to consider (100% cotton vs egyptian cotton vs no wrinkle fabrics, etc) when ironing your shirts but I don't seem to have much luck with my 100% cotton shirts for some reason. when I iron them they still look wrinkled. do you guys always use starch when ironing shirts or is there some masonic secret to get your shirts nice and crisp?
she agrees with all of the above and I add an addition. I seem to remember my dearly departed mom spraying them with water and putting them in a plastic bag for overnight IF they weren't gonna be worn right away. It was VERY nice to put on both a crisp and WARM shirt on a chilly day. Hope that helps?

Last edited:
Top Bottom