What's new

The Anything Thread

Don't feel too badly, your majesty. The only congrats thread I've had was a self induced one at 4K.

Yet Gollum got one...

Maybe it's because I'm special? :biggrin:

I haven't had one yet, but I haven't tried giving myself one.

Well you keep amassing so many posts in such a short time that it is difficult to keep up. I mean by the time we post a congratulatory thread upon you reaching the 8,000 mark, you'll have hit 9,000.

Neti pot adding a pinch of xylitol to the water. I swear by it.

(xylitol is a natural sugar alcohol (comes in granules) that in addition to being a good low-carb sweetener is also anti-bacterial and anti-viral)

x-clear nasal spray works on the same principle, but is not as irrigating altho easier / less messy to use.

I swear those Neti pot things look weird, but I keep seeing people recommending the darn things on here. One of these day I may just have to give one of these a try.

My dad taught me to ride a motorcycle yesterday. I underestimated the difficulty involved. It amazed me that you have to coordinate functions with both feet and both hands at the same time while paying attention to everything else involved. My dad said he forgot how difficult is was to learn, himself. This wasn't his first bike he has owned it for over thirty three years.

I really started getting the hang of it. Dad had me ride over to a parking lot two houses down from his to teach me. I spent most of the evening in first gear, starting, looping around the lot and stopping on a yellow line. After a while, he took me up a country road and rode up to around 45 MPH. It isn't all that fast, but I felt like a little kid.

All in all, it was a blast and I am feeling fairly confident on it now. I should have done this years ago! :cool:

Well you may have felt like a little kid, but hey at least you're learning how to operate a motorcycle properly. :001_smile

Flashbacks of my father teaching me to drive (a car). Thankfully, he was very patient. Mom, on the other hand, well, let's just say there was a reason dad and I both disallowed her from giving lessons.

It was that opposite for me. My dad is quite possibly the worst passenger ever! Always nervous and always giving out driving 'advice'. Worst part about it is that when I learned to drive Michigan had just changed its licensing laws so that teenage drivers had to rack up 50 hours of driving with a parent or legal guardian in the vehicle before getting their graduated level 1 license. Needless to say, I racked up most of my hours with my mom by my side rather than my dad. :biggrin:

It was that opposite for me. My dad is quite possibly the worst passenger ever! Always nervous and always giving out driving 'advice'. Worst part about it is that when I learned to drive Michigan had just changed its licensing laws so that teenage drivers had to rack up 50 hours of driving with a parent or legal guardian in the vehicle before getting their graduated level 1 license. Needless to say, I racked up most of my hours with my mom by my side rather than my dad. :biggrin:

I hadn't ever heard of this. How do they monitor that, honour system?

I hadn't ever heard of this. How do they monitor that, honour system?

Log book. Time, date, number of miles driven, type of roads used, etc. Plus there's something like a three or four month waiting period between obtaining your permit and then your license. The license you then receive is what they call a level 2 (I misspoke the first time, level 1 is your permit) license which restricts your driving. Specifically you can't drive from 12 midnight to 5 am until you get your level 3 or full license, which you receive in six months or when you reach your 18th birthday, whichever happens first if I'm remembering this all correctly.

Log book. Time, date, number of miles driven, type of roads used, etc. Plus there's something like a three or four month waiting period between obtaining your permit and then your license. The license you then receive is what they call a level 2 (I misspoke the first time, level 1 is your permit) license which restricts your driving. Specifically you can't drive from 12 midnight to 5 am until you get your level 3 or full license, which you receive in six months or when you reach your 18th birthday, whichever happens first if I'm remembering this all correctly.

That is a pretty good idea.

That is a pretty good idea.

Yeah it's worked pretty well in the 10 years since it was first instituted. It's cut down some on car accidents and car-related deaths among teenage drivers, although they still definitely occur. Case in point, we had five teens that got killed over in Canton, west of Detroit, about three weeks ago trying to beat a train.

Anyway those fifty hours of instruction sure help, but it depends largely on how good your instructors are. So if your parents are lousy drivers, well then it probably isn't going to help much. Additionally, it doesn't counteract driver stupidity in any way shape or form.

Yeah it's worked pretty well in the 10 years since it was first instituted. It's cut down some on car accidents and car-related deaths among teenage drivers, although they still definitely occur. Case in point, we had five teens that got killed over in Canton, west of Detroit, about three weeks ago trying to beat a train.

Anyway those fifty hours of instruction sure help, but it depends largely on how good your instructors are. So if your parents are lousy drivers, well then it probably isn't going to help much. Additionally, it doesn't counteract driver stupidity in any way shape or form.

You probably heard about the accident last week involving Mercy Me in their tour bus. There was a 17 and 19 year old plus the pregnant 18 year old that was driving. Two dead on scene, baby died later, and driver died this week. It really is a shame.

You probably heard about the accident last week involving Mercy Me in their tour bus. There was a 17 and 19 year old plus the pregnant 18 year old that was driving. Two dead on scene, baby died later, and driver died this week. It really is a shame.

Yeah I remember you mentioning that. And you're right, it is a shame, but then again any accidental loss of life is...

Top Bottom