What's new

Razor Storage... Wooden Tackle Box?

Trying to find a way to store my razors. Currently they reside in a cigar box in a drawer in my bathroom. I don't want a glass case to display them, I don't actually want to display them at all. Generally I only leave the previous day's shavegear or the next day's shavegear out on the counter at a time. While I'm impressed by the displays some of you have in your dens, I prefer cleaner lines and spaces in the one space that is mine and mine alone.

That said, I'm looking for a storage system as opposed to a display system. I've seen crafts organizers at crafts/fabric stores, but they're usually clear plastic, and tacky looking. I was considering the idea of a tackle box, but again, plastic and tacky. I've refined the idea to a wooden tackle box or similar, but anything I find online is very expensive. Any ideas on how or where I could go about finding something like this? I want each razor to have it's own "slot," and additional space for brushes, blades and other shavemisc would be nice.

Thanks in advance B&B.

Last edited:
I am sure you can find something here. I have 13 of them and they are first rate, not cheap, but they are heirloom quality.

http://www.gerstnerusa.com/

proxy.php

Last edited:
Looking for something in the attic last night when it hit me like a brick to the forehead: I'm looking for something to store/display razors... why not a flatware chest? Did some googling, and headed to Bed Bath and Beyond today for a dry run. Here's what I found...

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

MY QUESTION IS: I've included the last two pictures to try and demonstrate the "wiggle room" each razor has. The Black Tip SS has much more wiggle room than the aristocrat, it drops in to the slot without any resistance. The aristocrat has very little wiggle room, and while I don't have to push it into the slot, the aristocrat does contact the felt liner the entire way into the slot, and the entire way out of the slot. That said, do I risk damaging the plating (of any razor) by using a display like this? I thought that maybe since the original cases were often velvet lined, the felt would be okay... then again, the razors weren't rubbing against the velvet, only laying against them peacefully. Gillette gurus, please advise! This is an attractive setup in my eyes, but I don't want to use it if it could damage my hardware :eek:

Go to Walmart and get a roll of cork. Then you can shim the slots as needed. then you have a good secure place. Just a thought.
By the way, nice find with the flatware case.

Go to Walmart and get a roll of cork. Then you can shim the slots as needed. then you have a good secure place. Just a thought.
By the way, nice find with the flatware case.

I'm not really worried about shimming the extra space, more worried about the ones that are a snug fit to begin with... don't want to rub the plating off with repeated use :frown: I like where your head's at, though :thumbup:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's one nice box to store the DE when you don't have a box anymore! You would always cut a straight in there too! Nice!

I made a small wooden rack from 1" oak angle with 3/4" holes drilled in it and some sticky back felt. It's glued it to the back of the medicine cabinet door. It holds 9 razors, then 2 on the shelf and one in use - 12. Out of site when the door is closed and doesn't use much space.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=54755&stc=1&d=1244588386
razors.jpg

Using this setup, you believe them to be safe and in no (or very minimal) danger of plating loss from neither wood nor felt? I'm just worried that I'll put time and money into finding the prettiest razors I can afford... only to have them damaged by rubbing the felt inside the flatware case whenever I remove and replace them from their slots.

Using this setup, you believe them to be safe and in no (or very minimal) danger of plating loss from neither wood nor felt? I'm just worried that I'll put time and money into finding the prettiest razors I can afford... only to have them damaged by rubbing the felt inside the flatware case whenever I remove and replace them from their slots.

Minimal danger of plate loss - the plating is fairly hard I think. None of my razors are exhibition grade and most of them have some light scratches and wear already. The razors only contact the felt in a couple of spots under the head. I don't open and close the door all that much, so wear is going to be very slight.

The thing to avoid is razor to razor clinking contact - this might lead to dents and deep scratches. Bear in mind that in most cases, the original owners probably didn't even rinse their razors out after use and they are still in OK shape in most cases. Now they get a really pampered life - regular oiling, rinsed and dried after use, polished occasionally - and special felt lined boxes. I am a lot rougher on my watches and cars!

Minimal danger of plate loss - the plating is fairly hard I think. None of my razors are exhibition grade and most of them have some light scratches and wear already. The razors only contact the felt in a couple of spots under the head. I don't open and close the door all that much, so wear is going to be very slight.

The thing to avoid is razor to razor clinking contact - this might lead to dents and deep scratches. Bear in mind that in most cases, the original owners probably didn't even rinse their razors out after use and they are still in OK shape in most cases. Now they get a really pampered life - regular oiling, rinsed and dried after use, polished occasionally - and special felt lined boxes. I am a lot rougher on my watches and cars!

So you'd say my flatware box is a safe option :thumbup:

BUMP, Looking for a razor guru to give me a definite answer as to whether or not I risk ruining the plating by using a flatware chest like I posted above. :redface:

Another bump, I'm looking to purchase one of these soon. I'd imagine that if wiping down my razor with a cloth post-shave to prevent soap scum building up, and if (gently) polishing with maas and a rag is okay, then pulling it in and out of those felt slots when I use them is okay too, right? Need some confirmation on this line of though from some plating experts before I can commit :rolleyes:

It was a fine idea to take some razors to try the size....

I don't have a clue about plating loss...not a guru :)
Maybe look thru threads and pick some guys who seem like gurus and pm them WITH a link to this post...This is one way of reaching the target audience
Tom

I made a small wooden rack from 1" oak angle with 3/4" holes drilled in it and some sticky back felt. It's glued it to the back of the medicine cabinet door. It holds 9 razors, then 2 on the shelf and one in use - 12. Out of site when the door is closed and doesn't use much space.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=54755&stc=1&d=1244588386
razors.jpg

Holy cow! Look at that huge brush up top!!!!! :w00t:. I'm not guru, but it would make sense that if people clean them with toothpaste and tooth brushes, there shouldn't be any harm in what you have planned.

Top Bottom