What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Monday at my regular 6-month skin cancer check my dermatologist froze a spot on my right cheek so I have not shaved since then. This morning the Blackbird made quick work of 3 days growth.

Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Cream: Proraso Green
Brush: Razorock Plissoft Barber
AS: Proraso Green
Deodorant: Speick

Rating: 10.0/10

20230525_060703.jpg

Monday at my regular 6-month skin cancer check my dermatologist froze a spot on my right cheek so I have not shaved since then. This morning the Blackbird made quick work of 3 days growth.

Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Cream: Proraso Green
Brush: Razorock Plissoft Barber
AS: Proraso Green
Deodorant: Speick

Rating: 10.0/10

View attachment 1659904
Hope your healing up well.

Glad you could enjoy a stellar shave!

Razor: Rex Ambassador, 3 setting
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless 12)
Brush: Simpson The Duke Best 2
Soap: Santa Maria Novella
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Heavyweight Copper
Aftershave: Pre de Provence balm
Growth: 24 hours
Passes: WTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 10/10

Claiming favorites is a futile task, but perhaps warranted in the case of this set up. For me, there may be no better shaving experience than Santa Maria Novella whipped up with a Simpson brush in a @Captain Pre-Capsize heavyweight copper bowl. The soap lather is fine, rich, slick, and the ever-so-slight menthol makes my skin tingle. It’s like driving a sports car with a short-throw manual transmission. Not the easiest of experiences, but thrilling and oh so rewarding.

View attachment 1659792
I love your description and the way it captures the image of your great lather combination.

View attachment 1659815

RR Hawk v2
Feather AC Pro (1)
MdC Nature
RR 400 Plissoft 24/55
Aveeno lotion
Proraso Azur Lime cologne

2 passes WTG / no touch-up
DFS++
8/10

Just took delivery of the Hawk this afternoon and shaved with it tonight. Oh my days, what a beast of a shaver this is. 😲

If I had to describe it in one word that word would be..indiscriminate. It's quite clear the Hawk is on a mission to completely obliterate any and all obstacles that stand before it's blade. Whiskers, blemishes, stray facial features..nothing will be spared.

Luckily, my maiden voyage with it saw no major incidents but I did end up having four(!) weepers for my trouble. Mind you, I'm used to getting one of those every several months. Maybe.

Despite that, the Hawk got me to the finish line in a very big hurry and without any lasting irritation or other annoyances. There was quite a bit of experimenting with angle, most of the shave somewhere around neutral. More to learn there, I feel.

Less positively, I was a bit disappointed to have to bin the first Feather out of the dispenser. It had a sizable nick on one end that I did not fancy having a go with. Not sure what to make of that. I've not had a dud from Feather in almost twenty years of using their DE blades. Hopefully, just an anomaly. One point deducted for general bother.

The other point deduction is for yours truly. This was my very first encounter with the AC format and my technique is a bit..raw, shall we say? The feel is quite different and will require some practice to master. But, we're off to a good start. 🙂
One small step for @know1special, one Giant Leap for a Traditional Wet Shaver!

Sounds like a daring and fun first adventure with your Hawk.

Enjoy getting to know each other:

Modern May '23

Cream: Lucky Tiger Liquid Cream Shave
Razor/Blade:
Face/Neck/Head - Karve Cu CB OC B w/ Personna Lab
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - DIY Snake Bite
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive

full

10/10

Ordinary. What an ok shave. It wasn't bad. But compared to yesterday with the sold bar it didn't outshine it or match it.

The OC B plate seemed to have maybe a bit of blade feel to it though it's supposed to be blade neutral as well. I wouldn't say it was more efficient then yesterday as the solid bar B plate was surprisingly efficient for how mild it was. But the slightly more blade feel did feel slightly more aggressive and irritated my neck more.

For a daily driver I would hands down go with the solid bar B plate. One thing I didn't note down yesterday is the solid bar is scalloped which is probably my favorite style. Another reason that the Karve Christopher Bradley attracted my attention. One of many.

For the open comb I'd go ahead and just get a more aggressive baseplate. I can't imagine how mild the A plate would be with smaller gap and negative blade exposure. This open comb may have some use as a Frankenrazor. I'll have to try and swap on other top caps to try with it.

GRUME May – Day 25
Bobby B’s Daily Shave Report
25 May 2023

1685013441543.jpeg
PERMANENT SHAVE GEAR
  • Prep: Cube 2.0 Menthol with cold rain water and its own Noble Otter brush
  • Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum Blade #17 of 100 Shave #5
  • Razor: King C. Gillett
  • Soap: Goat’s Milk Bay Rum using nuked rain water
  • Brush: Noble Otter for lathering
  • Bowls: Timeless Blue bowls for Cube 2.0 prep & Lathering
  • A/S: Proraso Green (green travel bottle in stand by Draco)
Passes: WTG, ATG, buffing as required
Cleanup: Rinsed & dried face, Gentleman Jack alum block, Witch Hazel, A/S.
Ratings and Comments: 10.0 BBS Following a Cube 2.0 soak-in prep, this morning’s shave yielded one clumsiness nick, with no weepers, and only token buffing.
Thanks to a Team Mobile technician, my phone is working again. She had to go deep inside the phone’s settings function to find and fix the issue.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash, Lucky Tiger Liquid Cream Shave
Soap: Chiseled Face Banana
Brush: Captain's Choice Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS OC .72
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash, Stirling Orange Chill Witch Hazel and Aloe, Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum aftershave splash

An excellent shave with my favorite variant of the Lupo. The Gillette Wilkinson Sword was superb on shave #2 and the Chiseled Face soap provided plenty of slickness. No complaints here.

No time for a picture today.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Evening shave
Razor: RazoRock GC .84-P
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (5)
Soap: VDH (x+2)
Brush: unnamed synthetic brush
Aftershave: Av Musk
Rating: 10/10, BBS
Very nice shave indeed. Close and comfortable. I have determined to 3017 my VDH soap. Not a huge fan so I need to use it up. Not sure how many times I have used it thus far, hence the x.

Shave of Day.jpg

Pre-Shave
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Face Soap
Soap/Cream
Martin de Candre
Brush
Kent BK 8 Silvertip
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Henson AL +++
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Duke Cannon ASB
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo Man Intense
Rating
10/10
Comments
Second shave with the Henson AL+++ razor and Wizamet blade. This was another good shave. Amazing how much of a difference a blade can make in a razor. The shave was close but smooth. The Shavemac brush did its usual fine job of making lather and felt great on my face. For many years I used more water in my lather Have a good day.

Today's shave

Merkur 39c Sledgehammer with the Gillette 7 o'clock blade (black packet; second use)
GFT Sandalwood cream
Alum block
GFT Sandalwood skin food
WXA and WAX passes

Very happy with today's shave. The GFT Sandalwood cream (from it's nice metal tube) gave a really nice lather that wasn't too watery or gloopy/dry. Provided a really nice smooth layer for the shave

The Merkur 39c Sledgehammer made short work of my dense beard when combined with the said blade, which I am happy to say that it was a superb BBS shave!

The alum block and the matching skin food finished off the shave nicely.

Score

Blade sharpness 9/10
Blade comfort 10/10
Cream quality 10/10
Shave quality 10/10
Overall 10/10

Final thoughts.

An absolutely brilliant shave. Just to let you know in September my Sledgehammer will be 2 years old!

Jason.

Top Bottom