What's new

How much is too much shedding?

I received my Omega 10066 yesterday and everything so far is great about the brush…except it sheds. First use yesterday it shed about 8 or so hairs. Second use today it shed close to the same amount. However, I did a couple practice lathers after and it didn’t seem to shed as much. Maybe 1-2 full hairs or really small pieces of hair. I’m not using excess pressure. I’m not even really splaying it much since I bowl lather.

How much shedding should I deal with? Is losing this many hairs going to cause defects or anything in the brush?

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
That’s nothing. Not abnormal at all. If it’s still shedding 8 or so hairs every shave after a few weeks of use then maybe you’d think about contacting the seller. But if the shedding subsides and you just end up losing a hair or two now and then it’s completely normal.

8 per shave would be way too much for me. The first 1-2 shaves ok but if it doesn’t stop there or considerably slows down (1-2 max.) the brush goes into the bin. @ivan_101 goes through a lot of Omegas so maybe he has an opinion on this specific model.

Have been using Omega boars for around close to 25 years. Have probably used more than 150.
Until 2019 everything was excellent. In 2019 banded boars started appearing that have the shedding problem. Numerous models from different sellers in different countries. This year I started encountering also non banded ones that shed like hell. 1st palm lather - 7-10 lost bristles. Every next palm lather at least 5-6 which goes on and on. With many of them I couldn't even shave. They were binned after 5-6 palm lathers.

Last edited:
Have been using Omega boars for around close to 25 years. Have probably used more than 150.
Until 2019 everything was excellent. In 2019 banded boars started appearing that have the shedding problem. Numerous models from different sellers in different countries. This year I started encountering also non banded ones that shed like hell. 1st palm lather - 7-10 lost bristles. Every next palm lather at least 5-6 which goes on and on. With many of them I couldn't even shave. They were binned after 5-6 palm lathers.
Thanks for the information! I’ll probably try a couple more practice lathers to see if I can get “all” of it out. If I continue to see 5-6 or so after a week or two, I’ll just go back to my trusty Simpson synthetic. No harm no foul.

I have a DaniDom boar brush from Spain. It sheds up to a dozen or hairs per shave. Maybe it's the break-in period but it's in the drawer for now. Maybe I'll pull it out and keep using it to see if this stops at some point. Maybe a new knot...

That’s fairly standard for a natural hair (boar, badger, horse) brush. Not all will shed but some do. I haven’t noticed it in my synthetics but I could have just gotten lucky and got ones that are non shedders

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
A badger, these are the ones I use most, a new brush may shed a couple to 5 hairs in the first use, but should settle to none after three or so lathers - there is always a stary lose hair that did not get glued in. Loosing a hair once in a while is also normal. Loosing more than 5 hairs and continuing so, might point to an issue with the knot. My experience is that Three band hair seem to shed more than two-band. Maybe the finer hair of the three band has to do with this, especially with dense knots. Some loose hairs might be stuck in the denser knots and come loose with further use of the brush.

My 2 synthetic bushes shed zero. My sv badger sheds 2 hairs a year,, so no problem. My simpsons chubby 3 badger, she'd 10 a day which made shaving horrible. I took good care of it too. I threw it away. Couldn't stand hairs on face, in lather etc.

Lots of hairs in the CH3- i would expect that brush to shed at least a hair almost every shave for an eternity. Of every brush ever made it seems more people complain about that one shedding than any other brush. I'm not sure why Simpson even offers it- it's comically huge and nearly everyone that has one complains that it sheds.

Lots of hairs in the CH3- i would expect that brush to shed at least a hair almost every shave for an eternity. Of every brush ever made it seems more people complain about that one shedding than any other brush. I'm not sure why Simpson even offers it- it's comically huge and nearly everyone that has one complains that it sheds.
Wonder if the chubby 2 badgers shed ?

I have one in Manchurian. It shed a bunch of hairs the first couple shaves- all normal and part of the break in. Since then, it sheds one every so often and it doesn't bother me at all. It's 28 mm of densely packed hair by the time i lose enough to notice i'll probably have forgotten that i own it. It's a Simpson- that's just what they do.

I have a Chubby 2 in best and it has never shed. Of my 4 Simpson’s brushes (Duke 3, Chubby 1, Chubby 2, and Classic 2 all in best) only the Classic 2 has shed and it only shed 20 hairs total

I had a Colonel with Sovereign fiber knot that shed, and kept shedding; I stopped counting after it reached 20. I've had most Simpson models at one time or another, all in Best and Super, and don't ever recall having a shedding problem with them. Just the luck of the draw, guess I was due.

I paid a small fortune for a Morris & Fordran last November and have been using it sparingly and in rotation, in total maybe 10-15 times. It still sheds, maybe 2 or 3 hairs per use, sometimes less. I’m just looking forward to the day it stops shedding, if only to add to the shave experience. I love the brush, but I don’t love picking up loose hairs.

Top Bottom