What's new

Old Man Rant

I wish some Americans/English/Australians/Koreans/Filipinas/South Africans had a spell checker.

To poke a little fun at grammar...

I wish some Americans/English/Australians/Koreans/Filipinas/South Africans used a spell checker.

Oh yes, and worse for the consumer, the majority of new vehicles on the road 2019 and later years have an onboard cell phone buried in the dash. The vehicle collects and transmits data including GPS location, speed, controls in use, cabin voice recordings, et al. Huge privacy invasion and very little that the consumer can do about it.
It makes you wonder if the gain in safety is worth the loss in privacy. If your car's automation prevents you from killing somebody accidentally, then I guess it is worth it.

It makes you wonder if the gain in safety is worth the loss in privacy. If your car's automation prevents you from killing somebody accidentally, then I guess it is worth it.

Is it? What if the driver is a gifted neurosurgeon and he chooses to swerve, hit a pedestrian, and live. But the car decides no, he has to take the head on collision. Was it worth it then?

Rules without reason are by definition without reason.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Is it? What if the driver is a gifted neurosurgeon and he chooses to swerve, hit a pedestrian, and live. But the car decides no, he has to take the head on collision. Was it worth it then?

Rules without reason are by definition without reason.
The technology question notwithstanding, I think a gifted neurosurgeon who would choose to run over an innocent bystander over risking an injury is so lacking in empathy that he deserves the head on.

The technology question notwithstanding, I think a gifted neurosurgeon who would choose to run over an innocent bystander over risking an injury is so lacking in empathy that he deserves the head on.

...what if his grade school age children were in the car?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
...what if his grade school age children were in the car?
It's an exercise in situational ethics for sure. We can imagine scenarios where any decent person might hesitate a moment in deciding what's the best course of action or inaction to take. What if it was 1932 and "Hitler" was in the car - etc.
I just think that the concept that a neurosurgeon selfish enough to run over an innocent pedestrian to avoid injury isn't probably someone I really want working on me anyway!

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Cox (or probably fill in the blank) cable provider…..
So I called Friday to terminate all services. Press 6 to downgrade or cancel service. So they know why you’re calling. Immediately told via auto attendant it’s a 25 minute wait time. So they segregate calls to discontinue and then Jack up the wait time I’m sure not hoping you hang up. 45 minutes later my call is answered.
He claims I signed a new 36 month contract in January. No I tell him. We had to increase our speeds because they weren’t providing the old speed. I have an email from cox clarifying that we were not adding 36 months and our contact expired in May.
Oh he says that’s just an email between you and her he says.
She’s a cox employee mind you.
So anyway he’s got to contact her and the manager and research it. He’ll call me back in an hour. To my shock and disbelief he calls in 90 minutes.
He says manager says tough cookies we signed a contract. However the cancellation fee is one month. Not 36!?
Anyway I took it. They pounded an extra $139 out of me to be rid
Of them.
Honestly I tried to read the January contract and it makes no sense. I relied on her clarification email. I guess the moral of the story is don’t sign anything
Or use a fake name and say your account was hacked? 😅

Health insurance company version:
Called "customer service" help line and fell into an endless maze of robo menu choices, when I finally got to what I thought was my ultimate destination to talk to a human, I was automatically prompted to complete a customer satisfaction survey, BEFORE I EVEN SPOKE TO ANYONE or got any real help. Guess what grades I gave them...

Does anybody even read the customer service surveys? Apparently not mine because I never heard back from anyone.

Another related one at the risk of sounding like a bigot.
I am an english speaking, born and living in America, American with mild hearing impairment. Guess who I nearly always seem to get as a customer service rep when I call an American company about an American product or service?

I feel bad for the rep's because they are usually trying to be courteous and helpful, but I must ask to repeat statements or questions so many times they probably get frustrated with me. It's also embarrassing for me.

Maybe better selection for customer service reps or speech therapy? I don't know...

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Health insurance company version:
Called "customer service" help line and fell into an endless maze of robo menu choices, when I finally got to what I thought was my ultimate destination to talk to a human, I was automatically prompted to complete a customer satisfaction survey, BEFORE I EVEN SPOKE TO ANYONE or got any real help. Guess what grades I gave them...

Does anybody even read the customer service surveys? Apparently not mine because I never heard back from anyone.

Another related one at the risk of sounding like a bigot.
I am an english speaking, born and living in America, American with mild hearing impairment. Guess who I nearly always seem to get as a customer service rep when I call an American company about an American product or service?

I feel bad for the rep's because they are usually trying to be courteous and helpful, but I must ask to repeat statements or questions so many times they probably get frustrated with me. It's also embarrassing for me.

Maybe better selection for customer service reps or speech therapy? I don't know...
Very few read reviews. I mistakenly purchased tickets online thru a company website for an outdoor event. We searched high and low about opening hours and days. One section of their site has it open on Saturday and Sunday. A calendar page allows you to click on the date to go thru to buy tickets. When we arrived at the site it was clearly long closed (for the season) I called. The woman kept suggesting that I bought tix thru a reseller. After explaining everything her reply was well We’re closed. No refunds. Sorry Charlie
Later on I get an invite to do a review! 🤪
And boy did I leave a review! 🤩

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Road way road rage?
Anyone else been noticing an abundance of “safe” drivers out there
And by safe I mean ugh not safe
I mean driving well under the posted speed limit.
The culmination of this rant was yesterday driving on a one lane bridge behind a small box truck going 15 mph. Posted speed “limit” was 35. At every metal expansion joint plate the driver braked. Yes 15 was seemingly too fast at these times. I couldn’t pass him. No traffic in front of him for miles. 10 cars all in a line behind me. I guess I was in an involuntary parade of sorts. Yippie.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Road way road rage?
Anyone else been noticing an abundance of “safe” drivers out there
And by safe I mean ugh not safe
I mean driving well under the posted speed limit.
The culmination of this rant was yesterday driving on a one lane bridge behind a small box truck going 15 mph. Posted speed “limit” was 35. At every metal expansion joint plate the driver braked. Yes 15 was seemingly too fast at these times. I couldn’t pass him. No traffic in front of him for miles. 10 cars all in a line behind me. I guess I was in an involuntary parade of sorts. Yippie.
Yeah, probably some old guy. Oh wait, *I'm* an old guy! lol

Rules without reason are by definition without reason
Thanks! I do enjoy thinking about these types of moral dilemmas.

Let's be generous and say that 1% of deadly accidents involve choosing whether a gifted neurosurgeon gets to live or not.

Let's also say that 40% of deadly accidents are easily preventable by artificial AI - for example hitting the brakes when someone is running a red light, etc.

I realize that these numbers are made up in my head, but it seems to me like the AI would be legitimately saving a lot of lives.

Thanks! I do enjoy thinking about these types of moral dilemmas.

Let's be generous and say that 1% of deadly accidents involve choosing whether a gifted neurosurgeon gets to live or not.

Let's also say that 40% of deadly accidents are easily preventable by artificial AI - for example hitting the brakes when someone is running a red light, etc.

I realize that these numbers are made up in my head, but it seems to me like the AI would be legitimately saving a lot of lives.

Maybe, maybe not. I have worked in IT for a very long time. Computers are fascinating but not a substitute for personal judgement. The flaw most often overlooked when advocating AI for safety and life saving is the built in assumption that all lives are of equal value. History has proven otherwise. Besides humans are lazy enough as is. Adding nanny safety technology to vehicles has increased the number of accidents and fatalities.

Human nature does not change. I could fill volumes on the treatment protocols built into EMR software. Narrow and rigid logic that cannot exceed human judgement.

Top Bottom