What's new

LRod's Acquisition and everything else Thread!

My wife and I went out for dinner & some entertainment tonight at Disney Springs and I ran into this:

full

I had never seen or gone inside any of these stores. Little did I know that I had one a few miles away. I've been wanting to try out their shaving creams so I'm glad I got to go inside to look around. I didn't like any of them, Lol!!
The only one that smelled half decent was the Sandalwood. Smells a lot like Proraso Red but with a much lighter scent. The razors sold are the typical run of the mill Merkur type stuff and a bunch of expensive handles for modern Gillette cartridges. And it's all super overpriced! Pretty little shop to just browse but I'll be skipping on buying any of their products. And of course I was the only one in there🤣

Executive Outlaw with elegant handle just arrived. Stupid me didn't realize it was out for delivery today and I shaved this morning with the Tatara. And it was a 2 day growth that would have been perfect for tonight's test shave. Same as the Claymore SE, quality & finish is incredible!

full

full

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Congrats, Larry.

My Rocnel Elite showed up today.. I had a small complaint.... the end of the handle had some burrs on it..... but some 220 grit sandpaper fixed that with a few turns. I finished it off with some 0000 steel wool.... smooth as my face will be after its first use, I'm hoping.

I'm still not 100% at the moment so I didn't take any photos yet. I'm sitting here debating with myself if I can get a row in or not. Hopefully, I can.... then the shower and first shave with the Elite.

Congrats, Larry.

My Rocnel Elite showed up today.. I had a small complaint.... the end of the handle had some burrs on it..... but some 220 grit sandpaper fixed that with a few turns. I finished it off with some 0000 steel wool.... smooth as my face will be after its first use, I'm hoping.

I'm still not 100% at the moment so I didn't take any photos yet. I'm sitting here debating with myself if I can get a row in or not. Hopefully, I can.... then the shower and first shave with the Elite.
Thanks Kim!
Congratulations on getting it already.
I yet to receive anything from neither Murat or FedEx. We'll see!
About the burrs:
Honestly I'd be pissed!
I've read so much about the Rocnel quality that it shouldn't have happened. That's big money for a razor and the expectation (and reality) should be perfection. They are very limited production which means it shouldn't have ever left that way. It's not like a Merkur where they have machines churning them out. No reason for you to be fixing an issue like that and filing down a razor that expensive. But whatever, I guess nothing you can do.
Honestly, I'd send them pictures to see if you can get some sort of credit. We'll see how mine arrives (whenever it arrives).

I received a 15% off coupon (again) from Pasteur. I need to start ignoring them🤣
And of course I used it. I ordered a shaving soap that should be interesting. I've looked around and it seems hard to get because they no longer make it. Not even the manufacturer has it anymore. Pasteur had one left in stock. It's called Denton Majik KRS. It's supposed to smell like Kouros from Yves St. Laurent. I've been using Kouros almost every day for at least 20 years. I'm looking forward to seeing how close it's smells to the original!
I also ordered some Captain's Choice Sandalwood which I've heard is very good. I love the Proraso Red so we'll see how it compares. And I also threw in a bottle of Proraso Red Sandalwood after shave which is the one I use every day. Always good to be stocked up especially when you get a deal!

full

full

full

First shave with the Executive Outlaw!
2 pass WTG/XTG, using a Personna Lab Blue blade.
This thing is heavy but super balanced. The weight completely does the work with this razor.
I'm still shocked by the finish of this razor. Full polished stainless that looks like a mirror.
It's beautiful!
Comparing it to the Nodachi, I felt more of the blade with this razor.
Both the Tatara and the Outlaw are what I would call mid-aggressive but the Tatara is definitely
smoother. More care needs to be taken while shaving with this one! I attribute this to the blade feel
but I'll be experimenting with different blades too just to see if I get a different feel. And of course
it's also my first shave with it so dialing it in will take a couple shaves.
But overall I'm very impressed!
The end result matches the Tatara and the ATT X1 slant. All three are equally efficient and leave
my face with the same glasslike feel (closeness) and without any sting at all.
Premium full polished 316L marine grade stainless razor that cost me less than $100!
What's not to like?
I have to give it an A++
It's outstanding!

Congrats, Larry.

I emailed Murat. Supposedly my tracking info should be sent to me tomorrow the latest. He sent me a picture of my package as well. I guess shipping from Turkey is a little more complicated than from other countries. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My first shave with the Elite was a pleasure. The thing I noticed immediately was the audible feedback. It's very loud in a comforting sort of way. I'll shave a few more times with it to see how it compares to the Blutt.... the end results are very close. I had 12 hours of smooth face...same as the Blutt 1.20. The Elite might be a hair more effortless but I'll have to use it a few more times, then go back to the Blutt. It is everything I had hoped it would be. I realize confirmation bias is something that can come into play but I try to be as objective as possible.

At the moment, the ATT X1 Slant, the Blutt BR-1 1.20 and the Elite are all tied, at least, in my mind, at this point. I'll love using all three of them. The Athena is in Chicago at the moment... waiting to enter into the USPS after it clears customs. I'm sort of expecting it to get here by Saturday, but you never know these days.

My first shave with the Elite was a pleasure. The thing I noticed immediately was the audible feedback. It's very loud in a comforting sort of way. I'll shave a few more times with it to see how it compares to the Blutt.... the end results are very close. I had 12 hours of smooth face...same as the Blutt 1.20. The Elite might be a hair more effortless but I'll have to use it a few more times, then go back to the Blutt. It is everything I had hoped it would be. I realize confirmation bias is something that can come into play but I try to be as objective as possible.

At the moment, the ATT X1 Slant, the Blutt BR-1 1.20 and the Elite are all tied, at least, in my mind, at this point. I'll love using all three of them. The Athena is in Chicago at the moment... waiting to enter into the USPS after it clears customs. I'm sort of expecting it to get here by Saturday, but you never know these days.
That's awesome!
I'm looking forward to it. I've got 3 so far as equals except the Outlaw is a bit less smooth. But for closeness, they're all a match. Hopefully the Elite will make it 4. Curious thing that I failed to mention yesterday: Despite the Outlaw feeling like a solid stainless brick, it's the loudest razor I've ever used. And it's not chatter because the blade is held very rigidly. It's like every just transmits through the whole razor. It's hard to explain!

Hey Kim,
Curious, what blade did you use in the Elite?
I'd also like to know what @Mr. Shavington is using. Just comparing notes to know what to expect.
I've been using Personna Lab Blues in everything lately and honestly have ended my blade search with
the Personna's!

First shave with the Executive Outlaw!
2 pass WTG/XTG, using a Personna Lab Blue blade.
This thing is heavy but super balanced. The weight completely does the work with this razor.
I'm still shocked by the finish of this razor. Full polished stainless that looks like a mirror.
It's beautiful!
Comparing it to the Nodachi, I felt more of the blade with this razor.
Both the Tatara and the Outlaw are what I would call mid-aggressive but the Tatara is definitely
smoother. More care needs to be taken while shaving with this one! I attribute this to the blade feel
but I'll be experimenting with different blades too just to see if I get a different feel. And of course
it's also my first shave with it so dialing it in will take a couple shaves.
But overall I'm very impressed!
The end result matches the Tatara and the ATT X1 slant. All three are equally efficient and leave
my face with the same glasslike feel (closeness) and without any sting at all.
Premium full polished 316L marine grade stainless razor that cost me less than $100!
What's not to like?
I have to give it an A++
It's outstanding!
I have a correction to make here:
12 hours later and I feel some rough stubble. This doesn't happen with the Tatara Nodachi nor the ATT X1 slant.
Initially the shave with the Outlaw felt just as close as the other two but not now. So no it doesn't shave as close!
Still a fantastic tool but it doesn't have that edge.
I'll still be experimenting with other blades and angles to see if I can dial it in.

I’m happy to hear your experience with the Rocnel is good so far. How do you feel about the bulkier head? Sounds like no problem.

I am vicariously excited that your Athena is so close now. My Ares is shouldn’t be far behind but the post in Poland can be pretty random. Don’t forget to rinse your Athena under the faucet rather than in a basin, so you get the full fountain effect.

USA Personna's or the German ones?
All of them. I never met a Personna I didn’t like. I’ve got a big stash of the old Israeli-made Personnas too, as I settled on Personnas a long time ago. Kais were a much more recent find for me and they’re just as good, maybe even better - for me.

Last edited:
All of them. I never met a Personna I didn’t like. I’ve got a big stash of the old Israeli-made Personnas too, as I settled on Personnas a long time ago. Kais were a much more recent find for me and they’re just as good, maybe even better - for me.
Wow!
I've tried the German ones and have been nothing like the Lab Blue's. I didn't like them at all but love the Lab Blue's!

Wow!
I've tried the German ones and have been nothing like the Lab Blue's. I didn't like them at all but love the Lab Blue's!
The German Personna blues I've tried weren't all that impressive to me, but it's been quite awhile since I used them in anything.

I've got a High Proof pivoting head razor coming that includes Lab Blues. My first experience with them will be with that razor. That company wants to ensure that the entire kit they sell is made in the USA. Yet another thing on my list to try :)

The German Personna blues I've tried weren't all that impressive to me, but it's been quite awhile since I used them in anything.

I've got a High Proof pivoting head razor coming that includes Lab Blues. My first experience with them will be with that razor. That company wants to ensure that the entire kit they sell is made in the USA. Yet another thing on my list to try :)
Blackland does the same thing including Lab Blues. They're my #1 blade!

Top Bottom