What's new

LRod's Acquisition and everything else Thread!

This sounds a lot like the much more spendy Hone razor that I have long lusted after. I have held off due to the zero blade exposure, but have also eyed these Muhles for even longer. It sounds like for what you paid that they might be worth acquiring for the right person, but I am still holding out for the new Green Cult(and my Gibbs replica has shipped).

I've been saying for months that I needed a new bowl. I have a "Captains choice clone" ceramic bowl that I got on Amazon that I've been using since I started bowl lathering months ago. I shave at night when all is quiet and became tired of the clanging sounds of my brush handle hitting the bowl. It's annoying for everyone!
So my priority in a bowl is function over fashion. I bought and just received the Timeless razor polymer bowl that everyone raves about. It's plastic but boy is it mega plastic, Lol!!
Anyone remember Tuff Stuff toys?
If you were a 70's/80's kid, you'd probably remember them. I had a couple of Tuff Stuff trucks and the material reminds me of those.
This thing is a heavy chunk of polymer that's built like a tank. I got it from Timeless through Amazon for $14 including shipping and was sceptical because it was plastic. But I was wrong! I now see why people rave about it.
I'd pay more than $14 if I had to and I don't forsee needing to buy any other bowl. Nice lather ridges built into the bowl and it's the perfect size. I look forward to using it. A+
Here are a couple of pictures. Surprisingly nice box for a $14 bowl, Lol!!

full

full

Last edited:
Well, sure it’s a nice bowl. It’s made in America, isn’t it?

😊😳😊

When I can buy stuff again, I might need to get one of these. I like my CC copper bowl, but I’m thinking a plastic bowl might be better for use on the road.

Well, sure it’s a nice bowl. It’s made in America, isn’t it?

😊😳😊

When I can buy stuff again, I might need to get one of these. I like my CC copper bowl, but I’m thinking a plastic bowl might be better for use on the road.
Yes sir, Made in the USA!
It'd be perfect for on the road use. And for the price I think it's unbeatable.
Timeless sells them scratch & dent on their website for $7. But you've got to pay shipping so it ain't worth it. Best bet is buying through their Amazon store for $14.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've been saying for months that I needed a new bowl. I have a "Captains choice clone" ceramic bowl that I got on Amazon that I've been using since I started bowl lathering months ago. I shave at night when all is quiet and became tired of the clanging sounds of my brush handle hitting the bowl. It's annoying for everyone!
So my priority in a bowl is function over fashion. I bought and just received the Timeless razor polymer bowl that everyone raves about. It's plastic but boy is it mega plastic, Lol!!
If you were a 70's/80's kid, you'd probably remember them. I had a couple of Tuff Stuff trucks and the material reminds me of those.
This thing is a heavy chunk of polymer that's built like a tank. I got it from Timeless through Amazon for $14 including shipping and was sceptical because it was plastic. But I was wrong! I now see why people rave about it.
I'd pay more than $14 if I had to and I don't forsee needing to buy any other bowl. Nice lather ridges built into the bowl and it's the perfect size. I look forward to using it. A+

full

full
I was a bit surprised when mine showed up as well. I got it for our return trip to Bali in April since "we" broke a ceramic bowl the first time there.

I'm using it for every shave now... and I have other alternatives. I bought and polished a heavy copper CC bowl but it's sitting on an end table now. It's too pretty to use and the Timeless bowl, with its humble appearance and heavy weight, took over. It whips up lather like a breeze.

Couple of updates:
1. Sold the Muhle R96, Lol!
For those that read my review this week, it just wasn't for me. So it's gone! Luckily I didn't lose money on it and was able to sell it for what i paid since I got it from the UK. My first & last experience with Muhle!
2. I've trimmed down my vintage stuff. RAD with those is pretty much over. I've decided to only keep my favorites which is the Hoffritz slant, Gillette Slim & Schick Krona. Everything else is almost all gone. Only have my Super Adjustable & Star 100 left and that's it. I also got rid of the Fatip's and kept my favorite which is the Classic nickel Grande open comb.

My focus will stay on the upper tier modern razors which is what I'm most enjoying. It's fun to try everything since it lets you really see what's best for you. And at least for me, I think those upper end razors are better. I'm sure many will disagree since some people think that those razors are a ripoff and a waste of money. When you've actually held and used all different levels of razors, you realize that they're really worth the price of admission. But like I said, that's just me!
YMMV!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm not quite ready to sell anything off yet, but I think that's what's going to happen for me too. I'm not a collector. I have a few razors I know will make the cut.

Claymore Evolution
ATT X1 AC Slant
Both British Flat Bottom Techs
British Raised Flat Bottom
Blutt BR-1 with .86 and 1.20 base plates

I've tried all of the above except the BRFB but it's in a nice presentation case and Chris Spencer replated it before he traded it to me.

I'll try my other razors at some point. I'm not in a rush but I'll work them in as time goes on. Based on what I've read here, they should all be god performers.

I'm not quite ready to sell anything off yet, but I think that's what's going to happen for me too. I'm not a collector. I have a few razors I know will make the cut.

Claymore Evolution
ATT X1 AC Slant
Both British Flat Bottom Techs
British Raised Flat Bottom
Blutt BR-1 with .86 and 1.20 base plates

I've tried all of the above except the BRFB but it's in a nice presentation case and Chris Spencer replated it before he traded it to me.

I'll try my other razors at some point. I'm not in a rush but I'll work them in as time goes on. Based on what I've read here, they should all be god performers.
I typically sell to buy & try. But I think I've reached that point of definite keepers too. I'm I guess what you would call a temporary collector, Lol!!
But I will eventually collect to keep what I really really like. I'm pretty much like that with everything. I'm up to ATT, Tatara, Alpha, etc.. ownership and love so far what I've tried (obviously still waiting for the Claymore & Tatara). Next level is Rocnel, Wolfman etc. which scares me, Lol!!
Because I know that the itch is there and it's waiting to be scratched!🤣

Couple of observations with today's nightly shave:

1. The Timeless bowl is not what I thought it would be. As you go deeper in the bowl, the diameter is reduced. This caused a problem when creating the lather. My fat brush handle has no room when I rotate it!
My Captain's choice "clone" ceramic bowl is the same diameter from top to bottom (very wide).
I'll keep using it to see if maybe I just have to get used to it's size.

2. Another shave tonight with the ATT X1 slant. I decided to do 2 passes (as usual) but both passes were WTG.
The end result was a closer shave than a 2 pass WTG/XTG using any other DE.
So again, it's crazy how close the X1 shaves.
LRod

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
1. The Timeless bowl is not what I thought it would be. As you go deeper in the bowl, the diameter is reduced. This caused a problem when creating the lather. My fat brush handle has no room when I rotate it!
My Captain's choice "clone" ceramic bowl is the same diameter from top to bottom (very wide).
I'll keep using it to see if maybe I just have to get used to it's size.
Kinda how I felt with my Timeless bowl at first. It's not as pretty as my Aquamarine Captain's Choice bowl, but once you get used to it, it simply works.

~doug~

I predict the Tatara will be too mild for you
I hope not. I purposely bought the Nodachi and not the regular Masamune. It's got .90 blade gap & +.13 blade exposure. Seems pretty comparable (or more) than my ATT Windsor.
But I guess it's possible that it would feel different since the head geometry is different.
We'll see!
That is when it decides to arrive. Still shows sitting in Lisbon waiting to cross the pond!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.

full

full
I love my Timeless Blue bowl. :001_smile

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I now own three, count 'em, Three Captain's Choice copper bowls. Two Aquamarines and one heavy copper, polished bright... and I've never used one for their intended purpose. All three are sitting around in various places in our house, looking beautiful.

For months, I've used my little ESC Stef Baxter lipped ceramic bowl. It got broken in Bali but I ordered a replacement. At the same time, I ordered the Timeless blue bowl for travel but after using it the first time, that's all I use now. It really is a marvel.

I have posted elsewhere, but with certain soaps, I discovered that sometimes the narrow width of the Timeless bowl makes a better lather. Sometimes my wider Pereira bowl is preferred. I discovered this accidentally while using Omnibus early this year. The narrower width means shorter movement of the brush and seems to integrate water faster on soaps that aren't prone to producing bubbles. This is sort of similar to face lathering with creams, relatively quick water integration, you don't want to over work most creams. On my Pereira, I start out in a corner of the bowl and work my way up with soaps that take water, but are slower to build lather without bubbles.

I took my Timeless bowl car traveling last summer and was able to put most of my kit inside of it and set that into my duffle bag with the top unzipped. This kept the brush upright and open to air.

I have posted elsewhere, but with certain soaps, I discovered that sometimes the narrow width of the Timeless bowl makes a better lather. Sometimes my wider Pereira bowl is preferred. I discovered this accidentally while using Omnibus early this year. The narrower width means shorter movement of the brush and seems to integrate water faster on soaps that aren't prone to producing bubbles. This is sort of similar to face lathering with creams, relatively quick water integration, you don't want to over work most creams. On my Pereira, I start out in a corner of the bowl and work my way up with soaps that take water, but are slower to build lather without bubbles.

I took my Timeless bowl car traveling last summer and was able to put most of my kit inside of it and set that into my duffle bag with the top unzipped. This kept the brush upright and open to air.
Good writeup!
I think I'm just super used to the way my old bowl works for me. So brush used, soap & water ratio plays a role. I'm sure I'll figure it out with use.

Just ordered some new TOBS creams!
My #1 daily is Cedarwood since I love the scent. But I got a 15% off coupon today from Pasteur and decided
to give some other scents a go.
I ordered Lavender, Rose, Mr. Taylor's and Jermyn Street!
These are the only other ones that seem to fit my scent profile.
I previously tried the TOBS Sandalwood and hated it. I expected it to smell
like the Proraso Sandalwood (which I love) and it was disappointing to say the least.
Lets see how these are. Hope I like them, LOL!!

full
Just received these today from Pasteur. I took a whiff of each one and they smell really good. Something different from my usual Cedarwood. The only one that I find so so is the lavender. But I guess I'll have to actually shave with it to see. Maybe it'll grow on me! It's not the typical lavender (like Yardley's).
The Rose smells great. I previously had tried the D.R. Harris Rose and it was terrible. Mr. Taylor's has a nice pleasant and mild creamy scent that I know I'll enjoy. And Jermyn Street is a Fougere scent but in a milder form. I have one of Razorock's Fougere creams and have only used it once because it's to strong! I'm gonna try a different one each day for this coming week. Matter of fact, I'm gonna try all the soaps I have. I still have some Razorock ones that I haven't touched and some other Proraso's.

full

Depending on your review, I’ve got a Nodachi cap, Masamune baseplate (open comb/.70 blade gap, I believe), and the shorter of the two handles in my cart.

Top Bottom