What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Date:03.09.2022
Focused participations:3/30 Days in GRUME (3.3% completed and formally out)
246/246 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Razor:Razorine Flatboy 72
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (1)
Brush:DVH synthetic badger
Soap:TGS Orange Empire
Bowl:Proraso Green
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW)
XTG (W-E)
ATG (S-N)
Efficiency:6/10 (30 minutes)
Quality:5/10 (Multiple weepers)
Comfort:5/10 (Tugging)
Effectiveness:9/10 (BBS)

I am still on a learning curve regarding the Razorine. The best angle is neither steep nor shallow it appears and definitely straight forward strokes only. I stopped using slanted strokes with this razor, because most the weepers were a result of technique. Blade combination is not right either. I have loaded her with a Dorco Titan for tomorrow and the Gillette 365 seemed to yield good shaves too if I remember correctly. This one does not so much. And it’s not the blade itself because in other razors it performs quite well - although there is a reason why I have not stocked up on this blade beyond 100.

The end results funnily enough are amazing:BBS. But redness on the neck and burning sensation on the cheeks is less fun.

Changed handles for the last pass to see if the rather heavy stock handle is part of the problem. The Razorine does change with the Gillette fat handle I used and becomes more nimble. Not sure if that also means less aggressive. More mileage is needed for that conclusion.

We experience, we observe, we learn.

EJ 3One6
Simpson T3
Proraso Red
Proraso Red
Ladas (3)
IMG_20220903_091525.jpg

Date:03.09.2022
Focused participations:3/30 Days in GRUME (3.3% completed and formally out)
246/246 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Razor:Razorine Flatboy 72
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (1)
Brush:DVH synthetic badger
Soap:TGS Orange Empire
Bowl:Proraso Green
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW)
XTG (W-E)
ATG (S-N)
Efficiency:6/10 (30 minutes)
Quality:5/10 (Multiple weepers)
Comfort:5/10 (Tugging)
Effectiveness:9/10 (BBS)

I am still on a learning curve regarding the Razorine. The best angle is neither steep nor shallow it appears and definitely straight forward strokes only. I stopped using slanted strokes with this razor, because most the weepers were a result of technique. Blade combination is not right either. I have loaded her with a Dorco Titan for tomorrow and the Gillette 365 seemed to yield good shaves too if I remember correctly. This one does not so much. And it’s not the blade itself because in other razors it performs quite well - although there is a reason why I have not stocked up on this blade beyond 100.

The end results funnily enough are amazing:BBS. But redness on the neck and burning sensation on the cheeks is less fun.

Changed handles for the last pass to see if the rather heavy stock handle is part of the problem. The Razorine does change with the Gillette fat handle I used and becomes more nimble. Not sure if that also means less aggressive. More mileage is needed for that conclusion.

We experience, we observe, we learn.
Excellent write up Guido. Sometimes our shaving experience is like watching a mystery….This one has my attention and please keep us posted on future shaves with this combination. Have a great weekend!

Excellent write up Guido. Sometimes our shaving experience is like watching a mystery….This one has my attention and please keep us posted on future shaves with this combination. Have a great weekend!
Thanks Butch. Just when I think I have a handle on things, my razors throw a curveball. Like @Cal says: keep your white belt on (in martial arts the highest belt is red-white: Red for being a master in your discipline and white for being a novice at your own level).

I do like the marble finish my face has at the moment!

Saturday morning. A bit of a mixture of a head and a handle I hadn't got round to using as I thought the heavier handle from this one suited the other razor better, so put the unused bits back in the box until it occurred to me to give them a try.

Baili 191 head + Razorock handle + Astra SP
Shavemac 89 "Gold rush" handle 26x58mm pure badger brush
Taylor of Old Bond Street "Cedarwood"
Marks and Spencer "Woodspice" (Amber) aftershave

Just goes to show about the path not taken and all that. It's pretty good. The short and light handle (originally from a V2 Hawk) makes this one feel a lot like a vintage Tech - which was clearly the... ahem... "inspiration" for this head design.

A combination unlikely to be found on a web search, so here's an annoyingly underexposed picture :

Screenshot from 2022-09-03 09-43-28.png

I'm getting the hang of just touching the brush to the TOBS - that'll make enough lather for three passes without leaving enough foam at the end of the shave to present a hazard to navigation. M&S aftershaves are great for the price and can be found down most British high streets (though you'll have to go in the shop - they're not just scattered about on the ground).

It's a "9" today.

Looking good with the razor @Kaldane! And you obviously do have DE’s - I somehow got the idea you only did straights.

And whatever the wood on the side is - perhaps the shave mac, but that looks stunning too.

Guido

Thanks Guido. I bought some cheap DEs when I first started doing this shaving lark properly, then gravitated into shavettes then on to the straight razors. After two years of furious accumulation (including nicer DEs and SEs - usually because I'd seen them here and thought "that looks like fun") I felt I was doing them an injustice with them sitting in the drawer, so determined to go through the whole lot on Saturdays when I usually have the time to post and to see what everyone else has been using. This should also help me get through the sample packs of blades I keep getting sent when I buy a brush or soap.

It's been mostly straights for the last couple of years, and will probably be again - they're still out every few days even while I've been doing this. But I don't like the idea I might be missing out on something and it all adds to the variety. I've never really understood the word "or".

The wooden thing is a fabricated puzzle (comes apart easily enough, but there's a trick to putting it back together) which I tend to stick in pictures I take of razors. I'd noticed a lot of people on here had a Theme Item that appeared in their pictures, so I thought I'd shamelessly rip off that idea.

03 September 2022​
1662206316337.jpeg

Prep
Harvest Scent gel liquid soap.
Rotation’s
Razor
WCS 84S
Rotation’s
Brush
Gray Dog
Soap
Noble Otter’s--Lonestar scent (using rain water)
Rotation’s
Bowl
WCS Blue Plastic
Blade
Shark Super Platinum 3 of 3 Shave #5
Passes
WTG
XTG
Buffing as required
Cleanup
Rinsed & dried face
Witch Hazel
Omega Alum stick
Aqua Velva Musk
Rating(s) and Comments
9.5 DFS Blade feels like it is getting dull. Try for one more shave tomorrow.
More stubble, but no nicks or weepers.
Unless we get enough rain today, this was my last rain water lathering shave.
Today, the LOTH have our 45th anniversary. We are going to Medieval Times for the show and meal.
Tonight is Ohio State vs. Notre Dame.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
03 September 2022​
View attachment 1516202

Prep
Rotation’s
Razor
WCS 84S
Rotation’s
Brush
Gray Dog
Soap
Rotation’s
Bowl
WCS Blue Plastic
Blade
Passes
WTG
XTG
Buffing as required
Cleanup
Rinsed & dried face
Witch Hazel
Omega Alum stick
Aqua Velva Musk
Rating(s) and Comments
Today, the LOTH have our 45th anniversary. We are going to Medieval Times for the show and meal.
Happy Anniversary! Have a great time!

03 September 2022​
View attachment 1516202

Prep
Rotation’s
Razor
WCS 84S
Rotation’s
Brush
Gray Dog
Soap
Rotation’s
Bowl
WCS Blue Plastic
Blade
Passes
WTG
XTG
Buffing as required
Cleanup
Rinsed & dried face
Witch Hazel
Omega Alum stick
Aqua Velva Musk
Rating(s) and Comments
Congratulations on that 45th anniversary!!!

03 September 2022​
View attachment 1516202

Prep
Rotation’s
Razor
WCS 84S
Rotation’s
Brush
Gray Dog
Soap
Rotation’s
Bowl
WCS Blue Plastic
Blade
Passes
WTG
XTG
Buffing as required
Cleanup
Rinsed & dried face
Witch Hazel
Omega Alum stick
Aqua Velva Musk
Rating(s) and Comments
Happy Anniversary Bobby!

Preshave: Truefitt and Hill Authentic No10 Shaving Gel
Brush: Yaqi 28mm
Razor: Mühle Rocca all Stainless
Blade: Derby Extra 2nd use
Cream: Truefitt and Hill West Indian Limes
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Aftershave balm: Nivea Face Energy

Today was the day for an “Academic” Shave. I’ve been “studying” the Mühle Rocca for a while and so took it for a spin.
What!?!? ..Using a Derby Extra Blade?
Yep.
Thing is, it takes a while to get the muscle memory locked in for a Razor I’m not used to. The Mühle is a different technique altogether and my “studying” is starting to pay off. Steep angle, zero or minus zero pressure, light touch, shorter strokes. Takes a while to get these things into muscle memory so you can relax and enjoy the ride. A bit like learning to drive a stick gear shift car. Got a great lather from the bowl and Yaqi brush and the Truefitt and Hill West Indian Limes creates a slick and yummy smelling lather.

Yes I could feel the lack of sharpness of the Derby blade in the Rocca but I’m in training. I need a safety net.😊

Got a very close great shave though and smooth too.👍

Score:9.7/10. BBS. 2 passes. No irritation.
Yes!😊

771B8169-D966-42F4-9B80-E465A61BC356.jpeg

Last edited:
Preshave: Truefitt and Hill Authentic No10 Shaving Gel
Brush: Yaqi 28mm
Razor: Mühle Rocca all Stainless
Blade: Derby Extra 2nd use
Cream: Truefitt and Hill West Indian Limes
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Aftershave balm: Nivea Face Energy

Today was the day for an “Academic” Shave. I’ve been “studying” the Mühle Rocca for a while and so took it for a spin.
What!?!? ..Using a Derby Extra Blade?
Yep.
Thing is, it takes a while to get the muscle memory locked in for a Razor I’m not used to. The Mühle is a different technique altogether and my “studying” is starting to pay off. Steep angle, zero or minus zero pressure, light touch, shorter strokes. Takes a while to get these things into muscle memory so you can relax and enjoy the ride. A bit like learning to drive a stick gear shift car. Got a great lather from the bowl and Yaqi brush and the Truefitt and Hill West Indian Limes creates a slick and yummy smelling lather.

Yes I could feel the lack of sharpness of the Derby blade in the Rocca but I’m in training. I need a safety net.😊

Got a very close great shave though and smooth too.👍

Score:9.7/10. BBS. 2 passes. No irritation.
Yes!😊

View attachment 1516307
That ROCCA is a fine razor for sure👍😊

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Cremo Classic shave soap (applied by hand - tube)
Soap: Black Ship Grooming Classic 👍😍
Brush: AP Shave Co. Flattop synthetic 👍😍🤯
Razor: DSCosmetic Z0 🦖👍😍🤯
Blade: Shark Super Chrome (3) 🦈👍🤯😍
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel & Aloe (Lemon) - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Barberry Coast Bay Rum aftershave splash and EDP 😍👍

Great shave with The Beast on three-days of growth...DFS/BBS...no blood. Stayed with Black Ship Grooming soap for today's shave...last shave was good with their Calypso's Curse. Always impressed with the Z0's ability to get close.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

A_20220903_091934_HDR.jpg

Top Bottom