What's new

Carolina Reapers

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I sliced a small piece off one yesterday and ate it. Wonderful flavor. Lips went slightly numb and the burn lasted around 20 minutes or so before subsiding. I'll use the rest of the chili in a chicken stir fry for tomorrow's dinner. The pepper had six seeds inside, all of which I saved.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My mother's spice cabinet was non-existent. Salt and pepper... and "seasoning salt" were pretty much it. I didn't encounter spicy hot foods until I lived in Indonesia for a couple years after HS. I grew to love them.

Being back in Bali is sort of full circle for me.... the spices here are amazing... not just hot but oh so flavorful.

Eric_75

My mother's spice cabinet was non-existent. Salt and pepper... and "seasoning salt" were pretty much it. I didn't encounter spicy hot foods until I lived in Indonesia for a couple years after HS. I grew to love them.

Being back in Bali is sort of full circle for me.... the spices here are amazing... not just hot but oh so flavorful.
I'm sure you're having some wonderful meals, my friend.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We are.... it will be better when I have both upper and lower teeth installed... the temporary bottom teeth were installed today. They'll pull the uppers on Sept. 13th... get the new ones installed a couple days later.

But we're doing stuff in the meantime. And the meals are wonderful. thx.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Okay...

He doesnt follow a recipe but makes it to taste from what he has ready. He might use Carolina Reapers, Habaneros and/or Ghost peppers or a combination of all three and who knows what others but, this is what he said:

5 each, Carolina Reapers and Habanero Peppers
2 yellow onions
3 green bell peppers
1/2 bushel Roma tomatoes
1/2 - 1 cup sugar, to taste
1 cup white vinegar
5 table spoons pickling salt, to taste

Chop fine, cook until it comes together. Firm pieces but not raw and not mushy. Taste test as you're cooking, adjust as you like. That should fill a dozen boiled Mason jars. Should last a year, if not longer.

Optional: 2-3 drops of Endorphin Rush Beyond Hot Sauce.

He says that sauce is incredibly hot and only a drop or two is needed when making that much. He said that when he tried it, his glasses even fogged up and this from a guy that eats Habaneros like grapes.

He doesnt use any herbs. I didnt ask about garlic but I assume he doesnt use it either. Not like anyone could taste anything after all that heat anyway haha. I know I couldnt!

Eric_75

Okay...

He doesnt follow a recipe but makes it to taste from what he has ready. He might use Carolina Reapers, Habaneros and/or Ghost peppers or a combination of all three and who knows what others but, this is what he said:

2 yellow onions
3 green bell peppers
1/2 bushel Roma tomatoes
1 cup white vinegar

Chop fine, cook until it comes together. Firm pieces but not raw and not mushy. Taste test as you're cooking, adjust as you like. That should fill a dozen boiled Mason jars. Should last a year, if not longer.

He says that sauce is incredibly hot and only a drop or two is needed when making that much. He said that when he tried it, his glasses even fogged up and this from a guy that eats Habaneros like grapes.

He doesnt use any herbs. I didnt ask about garlic but I assume he doesnt use it either. Not like anyone could taste anything after all that heat anyway haha. I know I couldnt!
Thanks very much, Mike! :001_smile

Guys at the station showed me a video of a youtuber drinking fireball whiskey and eating Carolina reapers, I laughed till I cried and decided they would have to be incorporated in a sauce or dish before I will try one .....
Youtubers' name is Catfish Cooley. Dude does some insane things, eating chocolate butilah peppers, combining twelve extra hot sauce bottles and drinking them, and eating the three Carolina reapers followed by a fifth of Fireball. The aftermath of each stunt is hilarious. I just hope he doesn't kill himself someday doing this nonsense.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I had one CR sauce that tasted great - now, controlling that heat - i.e., playing with the raw peppers - is another thing altogether.

The Datils I grew had to be cooked outside, and they were only the same as Habanero on the Schoville scale. Don't think I want CR plants ... peligroso!

AA

Okay...

2 yellow onions
3 green bell peppers
1/2 bushel Roma tomatoes
1 cup white vinegar

Reading this recipe makes my salivary glands go into full production. I bet it's a brutally hot sauce!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Reading this recipe makes my salivary glands go into full production. I bet it's a brutally hot sauce!

You mean you'd be able to taste it? lol

That friend likes hot. When he says that other sauce is really hot, that means inedible for 95% of the Earths populace haha.

Top Bottom