What's new

Another Razorine Flatboy post

My first shave this morning with my new Razorine Flatboy. A few observations -

I've used a shavette a few times and using this razor is very much like using a shavette, it just has the handle connected to the blade in a different position.

This is without a doubt the Loudest razor I've ever heard. Incredible audible feedback makes it easy to keep the perfect angle.

I chose this handle because it's the lighter of the two offered and I like its style but it is a little bit slippery.

I would say it's as efficient as my Muhle R41 but a bit more aggressive. It is fun to use though, and I think it's a good-looking razor.

One small cut that was my fault and it didn't show after post-shave rinse. I'd rate the shave 9.5

Solid stainless steel and brass made in Italy for $42.99, what are you waiting for? ;)

20220625_065326.jpg

My first shave this morning with my new Razorine Flatboy. A few observations -

I've used a shavette a few times and using this razor is very much like using a shavette, it just has the handle connected to the blade in a different position.

This is without a doubt the Loudest razor I've ever heard. Incredible audible feedback makes it easy to keep the perfect angle.

I chose this handle because it's the lighter of the two offered and I like its style but it is a little bit slippery.

I would say it's as efficient as my Muhle R41 but a bit more aggressive. It is fun to use though, and I think it's a good-looking razor.

One small cut that was my fault and it didn't show after post-shave rinse. I'd rate the shave 9.5

Solid stainless steel and brass made in Italy for $42.99, what are you waiting for? ;)

View attachment 1477935
hey so ive been eyeing this up for a few weeks but just havent pulled the trigger yet

how much days of growth did you shave off? did the razor clog?

btw any ideas why some razors are louder then others?

i love hearing the sound of hair being shaved off, very theraputic i must say

I shave every day. But I think this razor could tackle a week's growth with no problem. Zero clogging; rinses very well.

No idea about razor noise, lots of theories out there.

I have had one shave with this razor and I was to yet to figure out the shave angle. Being a flat head was not as intuitive

It looks really stunning in the hand, extremely well bade. The handle is very well balanced and grippy at the rings even with wet hands. Though it was the model number being the same as my birth year - so an apparent bias.

I had this feel that the blade sat a bit canted when I tigtened it down, though its a precision milled razor head, hence should'nt be the case. i did not notice it during the shave, but feels visually so when I eyeball it along the edge. Maybe I will change the blade and see.

It's a very cool razor. It's efficient and smooth like no other I have tried. I used it yesterday with a permasharp and wow, this thing glided through my stuborn stubble like a Hot knife through butter.
Do beware when you put in on your face with too much force, I got a nick the width of a Permasharp on my chin.

I have noticed the blade gets a bit bent when you put it in, as in the middle hangs a bit lower but I don't think this is what should happen. When this happens I unscrew the top, fumble and twist the blade around until it's entirely straight. Thats about the only thing I am not crazy about. Getting the blade in can be a bit tricky.

Forgive me for hijacking your thread, been out of the new razor scene for a while. Am I correct in thinking that the head angle is different from the normal de razor.

I have been using this razor (in rotation) for a few weeks now and I am 100% impressed with quality, ease of use and efficiency. An excellent razor at a great price. The only thing I would caution people about, is when you remove the blade, use a hand cloth/towel to grip the ends of the head. Being rounded it's very easy to slide off and potentially cut yourself. Other than that, a great shaver.

I read somewhere that using a washer dampens the feedback. Somehow I personally find that harder to believe, but just putting it out there.

My intelligence tells me one is trying to find its way to our home for a certain individual’s birthday. Will report if intelligence was indeed correct.

Guido

Well, came home today to actually see with my own eyes than one found the way to our home. I was allowed to touch it once, but I will have to wait until next week. I got one with both handles actually!

I was wondering, and I have also asked Iridian in another thread, about the Flatboy's aggressiveness in terms of blade feel compared to the Fatip Piccolo OC. I saw review videos on YT stating that the Flatboy is a big boys razor (not my words), but I read similar reviews about the Fatip and to me (YMMV) that is a very smooth and efficient razor. With blade feel, but I do not find it too aggressive. Might you have experience with the Fatip compared to the Flatboy @Big_T? Or @Shaun asleep perhaps too?

Thanks,

Guido.

Well, came home today to actually see with my own eyes than one found the way to our home. I was allowed to touch it once, but I will have to wait until next week. I got one with both handles actually!

I was wondering, and I have also asked Iridian in another thread, about the Flatboy's aggressiveness in terms of blade feel compared to the Fatip Piccolo OC. I saw review videos on YT stating that the Flatboy is a big boys razor (not my words), but I read similar reviews about the Fatip and to me (YMMV) that is a very smooth and efficient razor. With blade feel, but I do not find it too aggressive. Might you have experience with the Fatip compared to the Flatboy @Big_T? Or @Shaun asleep perhaps too?

Thanks,

Guido.

I only have a Fatip Lo Storto (FOCS) and have only used it as well as the Flatboy a few times so far so I don't have a firm opinion. But as to blade feel I would say the Flatboy has much more than the FOCS.

. I was allowed to touch it once,
This sounds alot like how I got tricked into marriage, or were you talking about your Flatboy?

I'm afraid my answer is the same as Iridian and Bigt. I only have a slanted piccolo. And I haven't used it in ages. It (the slant) has virtually no blade feel IMO.
From my experience the Flatboy has blade feel and will bite you if you push it down on your face before you begin your strokes. But if you get the angle right it's smooth and comfy. I will never admit it to Iridian or Clumsybull but my Ambassador can have harsh amount of blade feel depending on the blade and setting but I dont feel that way about the razorine. You'll know there's a blade in it, it's not a new improved but it's so smooth you won't mind it.

I did get one tuggy shave out of it with a rather unsharp blade (Treet Platinum) but that was my inaugurational shave so I'm not sure if it's worth mentionning.

@ClumsyBull most likely has both the fatip oc and the razorine, he (and almost anyone else) is also infinetly wiser than I am, so I'm *paging the bull 🐃*

This sounds alot like how I got tricked into marriage, or were you talking about your Flatboy?
😂 - nope just the razor! Although she did make it clear that this RAD has got to end!

Anyway thank you (both @Big_T) for your answers. Might touch and NO pressure is the credo next week 😎. And that is always a good advice.

I was planning on pairing it with a Dorco Titan or KCG, but I think the Titan will be smoother given the needed angle for the razor. Other than that I am looking forward to this one.

It may be too much to see this as a daily driver, but then again I have seen videos from an Italian shaver who flips it around like an 89 (on camera at least).

I will report my findings and post some pictures when I have had the chance too a test drive.

Thanks again,

Guido

I'm afraid my answer is the same as Iridian and Bigt. I only have a slanted piccolo. And I haven't used it in ages. It (the slant) has virtually no blade feel IMO.
From my experience the Flatboy has blade feel and will bite you if you push it down on your face before you begin your strokes. But if you get the angle right it's smooth and comfy. I will never admit it to Iridian or Clumsybull but my Ambassador can have harsh amount of blade feel depending on the blade and setting but I dont feel that way about the razorine. You'll know there's a blade in it, it's not a new improved but it's so smooth you won't mind it.

I did get one tuggy shave out of it with a rather unsharp blade (Treet Platinum) but that was my inaugurational shave so I'm not sure if it's worth mentionning.

@ClumsyBull most likely has both the fatip oc and the razorine, he (and almost anyone else) is also infinetly wiser than I am, so I'm *paging the bull 🐃*
Hey man, don't knock yourself on the head too hard. Truth to be told, I strongly dislike my Ambassador. I mentioned that in another forum more than once that I find the Ambassador a little harsh, and it was to me, the biggest white elephant I have in my den. At times, it would perform well, but will seemingly randomly present a harsh or rough scrapey feel. I like my razors to be consistent.

Haha, I am no wiser than anyone, my friend, but I just have a loud mouth and love sharing my thoughts on razors. The Fatip OC has less blade feel than the Razorine. It is does present a better clamp closer to the edge and the curved head does impart a bit of rigidity to the blade. However, the Razorine flatboy is loud and cheerful and very efficient indeed. It is a very easy razor to use, as long as you respect it. Assuming your whiskers aren't too long, 2 day growth being the max (for me), you will find the Razorine Flatboy very smooth and a good shaver whether you are going with or against the grain.

However, if you growth is longer, you may find the Fatip OC smoother, as it is clamped closer to the edge and has a slight torque to the blade. The Flatboy may develop a little more chatter than some people like on longer hair.

If you can get past that, and you CAN if you take shorter strokes on the Flatboy, it will consistently provide a more efficient shave than the Fatip OC. For me, the reason is actually because the Razorine Flatboy is SO VERY VOCAL. You will be able to easily pick up any missed stubble and clear it off. And of course, the slightly more blade will give you a slightly longer lasting shave.

I hope this gives you some insight into how the two razors perform relative to each other.

Excellent write up @ClumsyBull - really helpful! I already use short strokes with my Fatips and also in general, so that would be similar and I am a daily shaver so growth should be manageable. My whiskers are tougher at times so that’s where the vocal feedback of the Razorine would come in handy.

Again, thank you for your insights. Really helpful and I am looking forward to reporting my first shave with the Flatboy!

Best,

Guido

Top Bottom