What's new

Experiment.

So, 2 days ago I tried an experiment...I used the Gilette Mach 3 that has languished in the cupboard for several weeks now, but using my proper shave soap, brush, prep, and the improved techniques I've learned from shaving with a straight.
Total BBS and far less irritation at the time of shave than I was used to...HOWEVER...today, loads of razor bumps and pimples all over my neck especially...as bad as any time in the past.

100% confirmation that the cartridge was the cause and full validation of going down the SR path.

A nice side though, was that my SR skills have advanced enough that I was able to get much better than SAS tonight including shaving over the bumps, without any cuts. Running a cartridge over them would have left several weepers for sure.

No question that I've made the right choice taking up SR shaving and ditching the cartridges.

Another one becoming addicted. Is there any hope of rehabilitation?
I hope not...

I've got one of the guys at work thinking about trying SR now... he wants me to get him a Gold Dollar or a old Solingen and make it shave ready so he can learn...I need to get better at making them shave ready for myself first!

I started using a brush and real shaving soap with my Mach3 many years before starting SR shaving. It was a good improvement, much less ingrown hairs, but I still suffered from irritation on my neck.

Even with SR shaving I was having similar issues, until I started shaving upwards on my lower neck (first 1-1.5 inches). That resolved the issue completely, and I never have irritation anymore.

Even with SR shaving I was having similar issues, until I started shaving upwards on my lower neck (first 1-1.5 inches). That resolved the issue completely, and I never have irritation anymore.
I had the same problem in the same area, which was solved by shaving upwards on the first pass as you describe. But that is never close enough for me, so on the second pass I shave ATG (downwards) there. Does the trick without any issues. Hope the same is the case for you.

I had the same problem in the same area, which was solved by shaving upwards on the first pass as you describe. But that is never close enough for me, so on the second pass I shave ATG (downwards) there. Does the trick without any issues. Hope the same is the case for you.
Yes I did the same, up for the first pass, for the first bit to the adam's apple, then down from under my jaw. Now I just go all the way up from the bottom to under my jaw first and second pass, the same. It's not BBS, but nobody notices and a bit of stubble that you can feel and not really see, is much better than an inflamed turkey neck.:c9:

Sensitive skin, I have it too.

In some areas the whiskers themselves are more tough to cut, like under the nose, lip and the chin.
The neck might have sensitive skin too but I find the whiskers to be cut more easily. That means it is easier to shave with a very low pressure against the skin. I know it's difficult to do this in the chin and lip area in the beginning but perhaps possible in the neck area?

I'm sure there are different working solutions for all. For me some neck area works best with repeated 3 passes in almost the same direction, with the grain.

For beginners I do not recommend doing the fool pass but when you later will it might help if you turn the blade flat against the skin. Just as a shaving technique. Otherwise I'm not fond of having the blade flat to the skin but some like it.

Letting the skin rest from shaving can be good too.

With better edges, soap stirring and shaving technique it will just get better and better.

Rereading your post I understand that you have already shaved with straights for a while now. And that it was when you tested the previous equipment that you got an unwanted result.

So congrat on your straight razor shaving and success!

Rereading your post I understand that you have already shaved with straights for a while now. And that it was when you tested the previous equipment that you got an unwanted result.

So congrat on your straight razor shaving and success!
Have been using the straight for about a month now.
No damn way am I ever going back...

I was shaving once a week with the cartridge simply because every shave was giving loads of irritation and that was as often as I could stand.

Unfortunately, I'm learning SR shaving and honing at the same time...and I don't think I have managed a truly "shave ready" razor yet...but it kicks cartridge in the rear anyway.

I do have a head start in that I have extensive experience sharpening other stuff, so the learning curve is a bit easier for me...and I've spent my life messing with stuff that needs good hand-eye coordination.

I plan on getting a blade sharpened by a proper honemeister soon so I've got a benchmark to strive for.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It’s already happening. Have you had a look what a Filarmonica or Escher Thüringian goes for these days?
And it's happening with my beloved Bengalls. I just hope we are not to late to warn others of the ridiculous perils of SR shaving.

Stop it or you'll all go blind!

And it's happening with my beloved Bengalls. I just hope we are not to late to warn others of the ridiculous perils of SR shaving.

All you need to do is look at how many people have dropped off of the straight razor forum over the years. It’s dangerous folks!

I’m thinking about getting an avalanche beacon in case I get buried under a pile of shaving soap one day!

Top Bottom