What's new

Clean-leather hanging strop width?

What is your preferred clean-leather hanging strop width?

• <32mm (1¼")

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 32mm (1¼") to <44mm (1¾")

• 44mm (1¾") to <57mm (2¼")

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 57mm (2¼") to <70mm (2¾")

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • 70mm (2¾") to <83mm (3¼")

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • 83mm (3¼") or greater

• Total voters

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I know that it is all just a personal preference thing with pros and cons everywhere. Thought that this might be interesting, particularly for those new to the gentlemanly art.

If you wish, you can state your reason(s) but that is not required.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I started with a 50mm (2") strop but found it difficult to master so soon tried a 75mm (3") strop. That was ok but I then got a 60mm. That was just perfect for me. After that, all my strops have been around the 64mm (2½") size.

Legion

Staff member
I guess I most like 2.5", but my home strop is 3" (to match the linen component), and my travel strop is 2", so I'll make do with whatever.

The important thing, regardless of width, is a good X stroke.

I started with the whipped 2" dog poor man's strop which I still have. I have a few 3 inch strops with the linen element.

I use the 3" linen and still prefer going to the 2" as I find that I am able to manage x strokes on it and it works alright.

I don't nick strops anymore but the 3" feels like a bother to use, maybe as I used the 2" so much and the fact that the 3" curls a wee bit and has to be curled gently the other direction before stropping.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I picked 2 1/2" as my favorite as I am very much a traditionalist. That said, I make 2", 2 1/2" and 3" widths but find now days you can't give away a 2 1/2" or 2" strop as everyone wants 3". Back when I started only Dovo offered a 3" wide strop but now days that is nearly all that can be found commercially and just a few old timers like me prefer the narrower ones.

I always suspected that the primary reason
for the first 2.5" wide strop ever being made,
was to match the width of a flattened fire hose.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
15 or 20 years ago most of the strops sold by Dovo were 1 1/2", 1 3/4" and 2" and the one lone 3" model that was leather only. Illinois mostly focused on 2 1/2" strops.

My favorite is 2-1/2" wide, followed by the narrower variants. Anything above 2-1/2" is too wide for me to wrap my off-hand around comfortably (barber's end please, no handles).

I only have one, and it is the only strop I have used; it is 5mm wide, and it works just fine for me. Oddly, I have not yet managed to butcher it, so I am hopeful I will use it for years to come.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I like a 3” strop. When I began to experiment and make my own strops I stuck with the 3” width. Also prefer them slightly longer. At 6ft I’m not particularly tall, but I have a long reach and enjoy the extra real estate on a longer strop.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I only have one, and it is the only strop I have used; it is 5mm wide, and it works just fine for me. Oddly, I have not yet managed to butcher it, so I am hopeful I will use it for years to come.
You are a very fortunate gentleman. I badly cut up two before things settled down.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I like a 3” strop. When I began to experiment and make my own strops I stuck with the 3” width. Also prefer them slightly longer. At 6ft I’m not particularly tall, but I have a long reach and enjoy the extra real estate on a longer strop.
Some time ago, @Slash McCoy had a poll for preferred usable strop length. From memory, I think that 450mm (18") was mostly favoured.

I started with 3” but now prefer 2-2.5”. The narrower strops feel more stable to me. The blade covers the full width of the strop even during an x-stroke. I feel like a wide strop wants to twist as the blade slides off the strop.

That's why I included the obsolete imperial system for those in the US who still long wish for the return of British rule.
OK, I will stand up and say that I really wish we would dump. The imperial system for metrics. We were supposed to go metric in the 70s,but it never happened. I measure my coffee in grams. If it is good enough for coffee, it is good enough for everything.

I love my 3" Tony Miller strops!

That said, now that I have gained more control, I am developing a preference for 2.5" - the width of my Kanayama.

I should note that the same thing has happened with stones. I no longer see much point to the surface outside of 6 x 2.5 inches.

Top Bottom