What's new

Is It Just Me?

Or have most folks taken a liking to a particular blade configuration?

In the beginning, I was told 5/8, round tip--both great suggestions for the beginner. I've become more comfortable with tips that aren't round, and I have a goatee, so square points are of great benefit.

Now that I got my first taste of a square point 7/8 Aust, and I've honed an edge or two, the whole "no shoulder" thing makes honing and stropping that much more pleasant.

I find that I'm VERY drawn to:
a. no shoulder
b. 6/8 or 7/8
c. French point, Square point or Spike point--in that order.

That draws me to the Dovo Bergischer Lowe 36830, Boker The Celebrated Wenge 6/8, Spartacus, Bismarck, T.I. 188 Bison French, T.I. 889 Sheffield, Dovo Sunday Shaver, Dovo Flowing, T.I. Bijou de France, Wacker Barbier's Bride, Wacker Chevalier (LOVE IT!). The Wacker Kullenrucken doesn't exactly fall into the above preferences, but I do like that one, too.

Like all my hobbies, I seem to be drawn to the most expensive items available. So it goes.

I think if I ever buy one more SR, it'll be either the Wacker Chevalier or--aw, hell--see above.

Call me nuts...This just speaks to me.

aust.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, my! That's lovely. You had to go and do that, didn't ya?

I recall reading on a thread a few weeks ago that there are not many of those. I assume they're no longer in production?

I see where you're coming from @SparkyLB . My preference is for 5/8 to 13/16, and prefer square points. I still like smaller 4/8, and round points too though.

This Rigarazor took a bit to get used to. About 8/8 (25mm) with a french point that lets you know if you're not paying attention.

Attachments

• IMG_20211027_121540.jpg
    IMG_20211027_121540.jpg
    606.8 KB · Views: 36
I'm a sucker for a thumbnotch, and I really like shoulderless grinds too. I think my favorite razors are around 11/16 with a little bit of smile at the toe--grind and tang shape is secondary to that preference. They seem to fit my neck hollows just right for the way I need to shave them to get close.

I have passed on a few larger shoulderless, thumbnotched blades, and I probably shouldn't have.

Long out of production and getting harder to find every day. Various generations of which the first generation is the most desirable and the last generation should be avoided.

One golden rule when buying a Filarmonica - If it hasn't got Jose Monserat Pou stamped on the tang, don't buy it.

Close modern equivalent is the Koraat 14.2 available from Koraat Knives, just google it.

You reeeeeally need a Filarmonica 14!

It will change your world, or at least your shaving world. :c9:
Or a Koraat 14-2.0...

I had the same preferences before buying my first razor. Although I still find certain forms attractive, I am strangely becoming more utilitarian. I look at the edge of the razor to see how it was ground, or if used, honed. The points are kind of irrelevant once you can make any toe pointy yourself, but the excessively rounded ones usually get a miss from me. Still love the shape of a French toe, but understand that honing them takes a little extra care depending.

Long out of production and getting harder to find every day. Various generations of which the first generation is the most desirable and the last generation should be avoided.

One golden rule when buying a Filarmonica - If it hasn't got Jose Monserat Pou stamped on the tang, don't buy it.

Close modern equivalent is the Koraat 14.2 available from Koraat Knives, just google it.
Thanks @Biltong & Boerewors
Or a Koraat 14-2.0...

I had the same preferences before buying my first razor. Although I still find certain forms attractive, I am strangely becoming more utilitarian. I look at the edge of the razor to see how it was ground, or if used, honed. The points are kind of irrelevant once you can make any toe pointy yourself, but the excessively rounded ones usually get a miss from me. Still love the shape of a French toe, but understand that honing them takes a little extra care depending.
I hear you. The form I'm attracted to I consider to be borne of utility. The shoulderless for ease of honing, and the tip for getting into the straight sides of my goatee. As for "making any toe pointy," I don't think I'll be changing blade shapes once obtaining it, but I certainly don't need you putting thoughts like that into my head! :)

Very nice. That one on top is lovely. I know I'm getting into this pastime because I'm beginning to notice these things have scales!

My head is always turned by a comely thumb-notched shoulderless beauty. Like others though I have come to enjoy almost every configuration. Except spike points. I don't have time or patience for that nonsense :p j/k I know they're perfect for some.

The Fili 14s were about the opposite end of what I thought I'd like (so big ... so expensive ... if only they typically came with stabby spike points I could have preemptively hated them 100%) and only chased down a user grade one to see what the hype was about. Dammit, the hype was real. Now I own, er, some. Thoroughly enjoy the thinned Koraat interpretation as well; I saw in a video that they have a playful shop dog, so game over I'm a customer.

Like most I started from about zero knowledge and learned through mistakes and occasionally getting it right. I was eyeing Filarmonica for a long time, but considered it overpriced, and hyped up because of it's desirability. That's until I bit the bullet and bought my first Fili 14. It really blew my mind and it took me a long time to analyse what made it special.

Turns out that they, in terms of blade configuration, just match exactly what I like. They are big blades 7/8ths-8/8ths, but not heavy, very thinly ground. Turns out that there are other makers that produced razors of very similar configuration. Turns out that there is a clue stamped on their tangs. The clue is the number 14.

I currently own three Fili 14's, a Koraat 14-2.0, a Mannos 14, and a Guillermo Hoppe 14. There are more makers that produce 14 sized razors, and when I see the number 14, I always look twice.

I have found my home with 14 sized blades, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying other razors.

@Biltong & Boerewors, what is a 14-sized blade?
Unfortunately I don't have comparison photos at hand, but basically it is a 7/8ths - 8/8ths blade, longer than most razors, very thin grids and quite square. Square points. That's the similarities I have found between all of them.

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, it was used to denote the 7/8ths-8/8ths sized production razors in the days before custom makers.

@haggis, I forgot that was you; but when I saw, "The Barbier's Bride has been wed," a small part of me died. When I tell you I missed that by minutes, I'm not stretching the truth!

@PintoPlain, that is breathtaking! Never heard of the brand, but I can tell just by the photo that it is high quality. Thank you.
Just based on what you said your preferences were, I thought it might tick most of the boxes. It's probably a half hollow, so quite a weighty blade.

I won't tell you they come shave ready with a very comfortable edge from the maker, or that they are usually available on ebay from Latvia, lest you think I'm some type of enabler.

I have a vague impression that I read somewhere that a singular source of 14 blanks formed the basis of a large number of brands' versions. If true that might explain why there are many variations but a sort of common core shaving experience.

I too *always* take a long look at anything stamped 14.

I think the King Pelican 14 is a different breed altoghether :)

when I saw, "The Barbier's Bride has been wed," a small part of me died.
You'll catch the bouquet at the next wedding, for sure.

Top Bottom