What's new

Stirling Soaps

You’re right. Not an artisan at all and no way they make “small batches” either.
What constitutes an artisan?
Thank you men for understanding my point. Now dont get me wrong, Sterling is decent soap. I think i have two if not at least one in my rotation.

Because I was asked, My top tier has MDC, Castle Forbes, Wholly Kaw, Gentlemens Nod, Declaration Grooming, A&E, Zingari Man, Klar, Chiseled Face, Grooming Dept, etc. I think my rotation is around 60 soaps at this time. Not as many as Ive had in the past, thank God.
If you have any questions @Boyd send me a pm. Im happy to help.

Back on topic ..
MDC and Castle Forbes over Stirling? 🤔 Man... It really is YMMV.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
@xterribad

Keep in mine guys, I am still fairly new to wet shaving on this journey, so correct me if I am wrong here but... When someone says a shave soap is a specifically "ARTISAN" shave soap, doesn't that just mean that its hand made? Because it appears to me, mass produced soaps of lower quality, such as that of Proraso shave soap, none of those are classified as "ARTISAN" on the label. So, ya, I am thinking it just means, a soap that is hand made, or hand crafted as some might say.

Artisan in this usage would relate to limited quantities or small batches - seriously ambiguous terminology.
For any modern soap maker, we can toss out "hand made" as this would directly correlate to mechanized mixing; simply put, ain't nobody hand stirring... I'd be hard pressed to believe that anybody is hand-pouring soap these days either; A/S and liquified balms sure

And yes, MdC > Stirling in my book - personal preference of course
Nothing at all wrong with Stirling, I have quite a few; but MdC hits all my checkboxes with a jumbo sharpie

Last edited:
@xterribad

Keep in mine guys, I am still fairly new to wet shaving on this journey, so correct me if I am wrong here but... When someone says a shave soap is a specifically "ARTISAN" shave soap, doesn't that just mean that its hand made? Because it appears to me, mass produced soaps of lower quality, such as that of Proraso shave soap, none of those are classified as "ARTISAN" on the label. So, ya, I am thinking it just means, a soap that is hand made, or hand crafted as some might say.
Most people consider Stirling an 'artisan' vendor because that's basically how Stirling started. One man and his wife making soap. Hand-written batch numbers on the soap containers. Hand written 'thanks' on your order form. He's not making soap in his garage anymore but he's also certainly not sitting in an office while someone else makes his soap.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Most people consider Stirling an 'artisan' vendor because that's basically how Stirling started. One man and his wife making soap. Hand-written batch numbers on the soap containers. Hand written 'thanks' on your order form. He's not making soap in his garage anymore but he's also certainly not sitting in an office while someone else makes his soap.

Oh I know. And I just wanted to confirm, that they are still hand writing thank you notes on the package sheet! And, they also have two separate initials on the sheet as well, one for the person who packaged my order, and another for the person who quality checked it. And my order was packaged so darn well, they could send me a chicken egg, and it wouldn't have broken! I really am amazed at the service that I get from them. So far, I love all the products I've tried thus far.

Stirling is #1 in my book. And you know else is #1? Captains choice! The only real difference is, Stirling provides a greater value for the amount of soap you get as per the cost. Captains Choice produces the same quality, but you get less and pay a little more. But its all relative isn't it? When were talking about quality products, you can't go wrong, and thats what matters.

Oh I know. And I just wanted to confirm, that they are still hand writing thank you notes on the package sheet! And, they also have two separate initials on the sheet as well, one for the person who packaged my order, and another for the person who quality checked it. And my order was packaged so darn well, they could send me a chicken egg, and it wouldn't have broken! I really am amazed at the service that I get from them. So far, I love all the products I've tried thus far.

Stirling is #1 in my book. And you know else is #1? Captains choice! The only real difference is, Stirling provides a greater value for the amount of soap you get as per the cost. Captains Choice produces the same quality, but you get less and pay a little more. But its all relative isn't it? When were talking about quality products, you can't go wrong, and thats what matters.
Agreed. Hard to beat the value per dollar on a Stirling transaction.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Here is a club for all things Stirling: Sterling Syndicate

Here is a video from February 2022 giving a tour of Stirling's building and operations if anyone is interested in how they do things.
Rod is doing the video and starting at 13:06 says everything is still made by hand and poured by hand.

They used to have a separate website for his wife's coffee but I liked being able to combine a coffee order with a soap order to save on shipping and sent them that feedback.
I have enjoyed their coffee, bath soaps, body butter and witch hazel as of late. Every once in a while I will order a sample puck of soap as well.
Remember, if you can smell it... it is because there are airborne particles.. I can't imagine shipping soaps and coffee together, but that's me.

If a company sent me coffee along with shave soap, I'd add them to my favorites list instantly, because that upper level thinking right there!
Stirling will do that. I ordered soaps and body butters for the missus recently. I am still good on soap and AS, at the moment. I also ordered Costa Rican coffee beans and a pour over setup and it all came in the same box. The packing label had a handwritten thank you note in it as well.

The soaps are also still handmade on two oven tops, in Stainless pots. They are clearly visible in his 2022 video. My wife and I have also traveled to the shop and met Rod and Mandy. They took time out of their day to give us a tour of the soap shop and roastery. They are down to earth and great folks.

9C33CC04-5673-41C9-BD55-467B134525B0.jpeg

CE92DA50-5DAA-4D9F-B175-8CBA1367B3E1.jpeg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Stirling will do that. I ordered soaps and body butters for the missus recently. I am still good on soap and AS, at the moment. I also ordered Costa Rican coffee beans and a pour over setup and it all came in the same box. The packing label had a handwritten thank you note in it as well.

The soaps are also still handmade on two oven tops, in Stainless pots. They are clearly visible in his 2022 video. My wife and I have also traveled to the shop and met Rod and Mandy. They took time out of their day to give us a tour of the soap shop and roastery. They are down to earth and great folks.

View attachment 1454264
View attachment 1454265

Ohhhhh....Myyyyyy......Goshhhhh! You are so lucky! 😍 I would love to visit their shop and meet them. This is just amazing, their shop looks great, love their wood floors, and I love their huge product selection and quantitites on the shelves, very nice.

Thanks for sharing this awesomeness with us, I really appreciate it!

Ohhhhh....Myyyyyy......Goshhhhh! You are so lucky! 😍 I would love to visit their shop and meet them. This is just amazing, their shop looks great, love their wood floors, and I love their huge product selection and quantitites on the shelves, very nice.

Thanks for sharing this awesomeness with us, I really appreciate it!
It was a 10 hour round trip for us, but worth the drive.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
For me, there is no debate. The mutton tallow wins by a furlong!

Tried their “Sheep” soap recently and agree.

I like ARKO! more than Stirling’s Beef with and without lanolin bases (they’re so awesome, but they require more thought than I can muster while shaving).

Stirling’s mutton base didn’t care that I’m half asleep when I shave and didn’t care that I‘m an insufferable ARKO! fanboi — it just delivered pure, unbridled luxury very matter-of-factly.

Going to try other soaps, too, but Stirling Sheep; nuthin’ but mutton base; amazed me.

Artisan in this usage would relate to limited quantities or small batches - seriously ambiguous terminology.
For any modern soap maker, we can toss out "hand made" as this would directly correlate to mechanized mixing; simply put, ain't nobody hand stirring... I'd be hard pressed to believe that anybody is hand-pouring soap these days either; A/S and liquified balms sure

And yes, MdC > Stirling in my book - personal preference of course
Nothing at all wrong with Stirling, I have quite a few; but MdC hits all my checkboxes with a jumbo sharpie
But there *are* still artisans doing that. Just because you streamline a process doesn't suddenly make you ineligible for the distinction of artisan. If you suddenly find a way to go from making 10 things a batch by hand to 100, I don't think it changes anything imo. Also, it seems like that's similar to what they're doing according to the below quote.

View attachment 1454264
View attachment 1454265

View attachment 1454264
View attachment 1454265
So cool that you visited their shop. I am so envious. If only my shaving cabinet were to look like that!!!! One would be set for life!!!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Just a reminder of who is the King of Sterling soaps are in this discussion ....
View attachment 1454307View attachment 1454308

Yes you have more Stirling soaps then I do, but you have more soaps then many of us do on the site LOL! - But rest assured, as time goes by, I will be adding to my Stirling soaps, don't you worry. I don't know if you noticed, but I have Glacial Lemon Chill now as my latest most recent acquisition.

proxy.php

Top Bottom