What's new

How many blades in ‘enough’?

When I took stock of how many blades I had I was surprised how few I had compared to what I thought I’d had. Got me thinking about how many I should order.

How many blades do you have to have before you feel comfortable with the amount? How much does the availability of your preferred blade make a difference?
does anyone here actually only go one or two tucks at a time?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When I took stock of how many blades I had I was surprised how few I had compared to what I thought I’d had. Got me thinking about how many I should order.

How many blades do you have to have before you feel comfortable with the amount? How much does the availability of your preferred blade make a difference?
does anyone here actually only go one or two tucks at a time?
I'm still experimenting with Artist Club blades for my ESC Claymore Evolution. Once I get farther along that path, I plan to order a 5 year supply or so. I've only done the Feather AC ProGuards and ProSoft Guards at this point. I could stop there because both blades give me excellent shaves, but people rave about the Schick Proline P-30s so I owe it to myself to try them.. and perhaps a Kai Captain blade.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I get at least 10 good shaves per blade, and some (sporadically) go 30+ shaves before needing replacing. I don't shave each and every day either, so a blade might last a fortnight for me, or a couple of months. As such, I think my stockpile of over 500 blades, will probably last longer than I will.

Off the top of my head this breakdown will carry me well into life as a Centenarian:

PRIMARY Blades
Feathers - 150 / 1.5y
Super Iridiums - 200 / 6y
Personna (Platinum and Crystal) 350 / 14.5y
Nacet - 500 / 13.5y

SECONDARY Blades
Minora, Rapira Plat and SS, Kai, BIC Platinum. 7oclock Black, GSB, Gillette Platinum, KCG - 1000 or so - another 16y

We’re not even touching on the lower tier - LoL

Edit - I forgot another 500 between Permasharps & Voskhods - perhaps another 9.5y in the primary category

Last edited:
I recently decided to quit using Russian blades, at least for the time being. Surely a useless gesture, but it caused me to take a close look at my stash ... had to set aside at least two-thirds of my little stockpile, which left me feeling a bit deprived.

So now I've stocked up on some Bic Chromes and some Gillette Blacks (made in India). On the duller side of the spectrum, I ordered some Treet Platinums and some Derby Premiums.

That's 400 blades, bought in just the past few weeks. So I'm ready for many years again.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I hate to count or estimate. Buying to try by the 💯 is an easy way to quickly amass a stockpile. I do need better organization of what I have to make it easier to select something to use.

I recently decided to quit using Russian blades, at least for the time being. Surely a useless gesture, but it caused me to take a close look at my stash ... had to set aside at least two-thirds of my little stockpile, which left me feeling a bit deprived.
Good for you! I refuse to buy any more Russian blades and thankfully I have enough to last the rest of my life. I will be using my current supply though. My thought is that the Russians already have my money from previous purchases, so why bother avoiding using them?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’m a SR shaver who does a handful of DE shaves a year, always single use blades. I probably have over 100+ blades which should last me a few decades. Still, I continue to look at blades, add a few tucks to round out a purchase or try something to scratch an itch…just in case. Recently test drove a Nacet, very nice. Might need more of those.

I'm still experimenting with Artist Club blades for my ESC Claymore Evolution. Once I get farther along that path, I plan to order a 5 year supply or so. I've only done the Feather AC ProGuards and ProSoft Guards at this point. I could stop there because both blades give me excellent shaves, but people rave about the Schick Proline P-30s so I owe it to myself to try them.. and perhaps a Kai Captain blade.
I have around 550 proline blades. I prefer these over any Feather blade.You should really try these blades. I do not think I will need to restock any time soon:)

linty1

My wallet cries.
I am just finishing a sleeve of 100 Silver Blue's and have another 100 waiting, so about 110? gsb's, and I estimate I have enough for.. at least the next few years. Which is a bit of a shame because I recently tried Nacet's and may? like those more, but I need to burn through these gsb's first.

Top Bottom