What's new

How many blades in ‘enough’?

It is interesting how many answers are like mine - a lifetime supply or more. Blades do not cost much, do not require much storage space, and if stored reasonably well will last longer than I will. I never want to worry that I will be without my favorite blades. I try new blades and if I find another brand I really like, I will buy a lifetime supply of those as well.

If a person uses about 50 blades a year of DE & SE combined I would say around 200 blades (4yrs) makes sense but than the economics come in as a factor. A person can buy 100 blades for the price of 10 blades at the super market or drug store now a days.
So instinct says buy the 50 or 100 pc blades it seems and still be ahead. Some fellows use 1 blade per shave and that does not make sense to me but every one is different and usually the 2nd and 3rd shaves are the best of my blades .

The economics point rings especially true when you consider that you can buy 300 DE blades for less than the price of 30 Harry's cartridges.

That's all the rationalization i need to buy 300 more.

There are actually two mathematical answers to that one:
From Your point of view it's: N+1
where N is the current amount of blades.

Your wife's/partners point: S-1
where S is the amount of blades that will get you killed by her :)

Balance it out!

When I took stock of how many blades I had I was surprised how few I had compared to what I thought I’d had. Got me thinking about how many I should order.

How many blades do you have to have before you feel comfortable with the amount? How much does the availability of your preferred blade make a difference?
does anyone here actually only go one or two tucks at a time?
I buy them as I need them. I have at most about 20 at a time, but usually around five to ten. I don’t understand buying more than a lifetime supply.

Reactions: Kix
I noticed that anything good that I buy tends to get discontinued, sooner or later, so I often buy a few spares of non-perishable goods. I call it "backup disorder".

In 2021, I got a major blade backup disorder, so I have about 1100 good ones, plus a few hundred also-rans. At a burn-rate of 1 a week, I am probably fixed for life, provided I store them well enough not to deteriorate.

Based on my shaving journal my current stock is very modest I think with 475 blades remaining. I am considering buying a tuck of 100 Dorco Titans.

It is questions like this that remind me why I stopped using cartridge razors years ago. Imagine stocking up on those (which makes even more sense given how fast Gillette raises the prices, but would require you to sell one of your yachts or at least two of your children).

Blades are like ammunition. How much is enough? Buy cheap and stack deep. I am comfortable with about 1000 blades but that doesnt stop me from buying more. When you see your favorite blades on sale or find a great deal, you have to buy more

But the 1trillion $ question is: how many of your favorite blades do you have? are these enough...... and is there a never ending supply......

I now operate under the assumption that my favorite will be discontinued at some point. Hence, I buy enough that when the inevitable happens, I can relax knowing I have a stash to last several lifetimes.

marty

I have been giving this a lot of thought lately. And by my calculations I would need to purchase another 1,300 or so blades to have enough to shave until I'm 80. I am currently at 470 or so. I think this is less than I ideally want. When talking to my wife that storyline has exactly zero impact :biggrin1: - and she is usually my better half, so she may be right! :lol:

Cheers,

Guido.

I have probably 200 blades and at 4 days a blade, that's 1 wee bit over 2 years in supply. I can ge Wilkinson Sword, Gillette, and Personna Platinum locally. If I see prices start to rise, I'll probably sink $100 into new blades and have enough for an additional 3+ years.

Currently my stock is about 900. Shark Super Chrome used to be my favorite, but they have been supplanted by Astra Superior Platinum. So, there are about 185 Sharks that could be called into service if I run out of or can't get Astras.
There are two 100 packs of different blades I haven't tried yet, but if they're poor performers, I could be in a pickle.
Availability (or lack thereof) and inflation have motivated me to err on the side of oversupply.

I have about 375 blades at the moment. Mostly Shark Super Chromes, Gillette Silver Blues, Personna Lab Blue, and Nacets. I do have a few random tucks of Gillette Rubies and Shark Super Stainless.
I usually toss a blade after 4 or 5 shaves.

You can estimate the number of blades you need to shave for the rest of your expected lifetime.

your projected age at death - your current age = your projected shaving years (Y)

how many shaves do you get per blade (B)

how many time do you shave in a year (S)

So Y x S / B = number of blades you need

According to the mortality tables for my demographics, I am expected to live another 15 years. I am retired and shave about 200 times per year. I get about 4 shaves per blade. Thus, for me the number of blades I need is 15 x 200 / 4 = 750 blades.

I have over 900 double edge blades in inventory. I also have about 100 single edge blades that normally give me 10 shaves per blade. Thus, even if I outlive my expectations by 5 years, I will have more than enough blades. If I include my straight razors, I could shave for the next 100 years without running out of sharp blades.

My problem is that I have a dearth of male heirs to whom I can bequeath my collection of razors, brushes, hones, soaps, and blades. I do have a son-in-law, but he has expressed no interest in wet shaving; he currently uses an electric shaver. Perhaps that will change before I die.

Top Bottom