What's new

Konsul Slant Adjustable from the Rex Co.....

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My theory is this. The Konsul is basically a slanted Ambassador with a different handle.

As such the operating system is still a Gibbs clone. The Rex people have been making it for a while and should have the bugs long ago worked out.

We'll see if I'm right.

(I'm not one to give bad products good reviews.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

My theory is this. The Konsul is basically a slanted Ambassador with a different handle.

As such the operating system is still a Gibbs clone. The Rex people have been making it for a while and should have the bugs long ago worked out.

We'll see if I'm right.

(I'm not one to give bad products good reviews.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

+1 Agreed. It's been in the making for a while with an extensive testing period. The manufacturer/shop should be lock step in the machining process with the few years of the Rex Ambassador production under their belt. Hopefully no issues once released......

D51DEDF1-9FA0-4188-A5D5-EBDDD11FBCE0.png

Looks like HLS aren’t far behind with their slant version of the Taiga adjustable…
Good to have options, it will be interesting to see how they compare, including pricing…

Last edited:
View attachment 1371090

Looks like HLS aren’t far behind with their slant version of the Taiga adjustable…
Good to have options, it will be interesting to see how they compare, including pricing…

I wonder if the US tester mentioned might be on this forum… 🤔
I guess he probably wouldn’t be able to tell us anyway at this stage…

No, not all of them!! There are a few still around that are stuck with razors they can't shave with...
Someday I’ll fix the threading on my Rex. Someday. It works ok but I won’t be happy until I make the time to grab that heat gun, crack it open and spend a day working on it. Still waiting on RE’s promise to send me a new knob from about a year ago. I’ve said it before, if your Rex works as it should, I’m happy for those people. One plus is I never would have owned a Gibbs if it wasn’t for my Rex failures.

Does that include the Tatara Muramasa?
Absolutely. Even though I've only sampled the Muramasa for 3-4 shaves as it had to get back to its owner, the Taiga is equally as smooth (better in my experience) or better than the Muramasa throughout its size range. Don't get me wrong, my initial thoughts are on the good end for the Muramasa with my limited use as it has an ingenious design and craftsmanship that is impeccable. But, the Taiga on its simplicity of design and yet its superb execution in that regards puts it on another level. On sheer performance, quality of shave and ease of use there is only one other that dances with this whisker decapitating assassin. And that is the Rocnel Sailor.

Happy shaves.... :shaving:

@GlazedBoker Thanks for that :)

- Did you try the Muramasa on all settings?

- If the main criteria is smoothness (i.e. the least feeling of scraping and irritation) while still managing to cut the stubble, with absolute efficiency being of secondary relevance, would you still say the Taiga is the smoother razor across all of the settings you tried the Muramasa?

- Most people seem to think that the settings 1 and 2 are of little use on the Muramasa (too mild). How would you describe the lowest settings on the Taiga?

Last edited:

- If the main criteria is smoothness (i.e. the least feeling of scraping and irritation) while still managing to cut the stubble, with absolute efficiency being of secondary relevance, would you still say the Taiga is the smoother razor across all of the settings you tried the Muramasa?

- Most people seem to think that the settings 1 and 2 are of little use on the Muramasa (too mild). How would you describe the lowest settings on the Taiga?
Without question it is equal to the Muramasa in smoothness/face feel and in the lower ranges it exhibits just a slight edge in cutting prowess. Not much but, noticeable.

I own and use both regularly (and the Sailor). The Muramasa is a tank (my Taiga is Titanium) - hefty, solid SS. Actually a simple design in use, very smooth and comfortable, great balance - and usable (for me) on all settings. Breaks down into 3 pieces for easy cleaning (and easy disassembly for more thorough cleaning, less frequently). All that said - the warts: it has a limited range of adjustment that may not fit all shavers. I prefer milder razors, and it certainly is, rivaling the AS-D2 on settings 1-2 (maybe 3). Efficient and very mild (for me). Settings 4 and 5 are slightly more efficient, but that's it. No multiple dial rotations. It also has central to its operation a small rubber grommet internally that will require periodic replacement - this O ring is the only adjustment for tension on the adjustment dial, and allows for some slack in the dial (there is some slight back/forth motion in the dial when on a setting). Tension can be changed with different diameters/materials in the O ring (in fact Tatara sent out replacements for users), but once you find the correct tension you are unlikely to change it, except to replace it because of wear, which will happen (it's rubber or silicone). A very elegant design, and I like it, but not perfect for everyone.

The Titanium Taiga is a Ferrari - the lightest razor I've used, slim and maneuverable, and the only razor besides the AS-D2 that I use exclusively with a Feather blade. Mild (but still efficient) on the lowest settings, and top-end adjustable for just about anyone's taste (you can rotate through at least a couple of turns of the dial), it's a complete package. Beautifully finished and constructed as well (essentially a Gibbs). Adjustment dial tension is easily changed by just swapping out the single spring. Unlike the Muramasa, the head requires a specific orientation during assembly - not a negative but just a feature of the design. With the above - the warts: the highly polished finish seems to attract soap film, so I completely disassemble the razor with each use. It then becomes a 7-piece razor. Easy to do (it's a Gibbs after all!), but definitely more time consuming than routine maintenance on the Muramasa. Not absolutely needed, but I'm particular about maintaining my equipment, and my water is very soft (less than 1 gpg). With hard water, you would absolutely want to do this to prevent harder-to-remove hard water stains which might eventually even affect the operation of the razor. The OEM spring additionally is fairly light for my taste, and allows very easy operation of the adjustment dial. Some would say too easy. If you grip further down on the handle, not so much a problem, but if you grip up near the head, you may find yourself adjusting up or down unintentionally during a shave. You can insert a stronger spring, but the length of the spring is limited by the design, and the size is not a common size - I have a slightly longer spring on mine, which works perfectly (for me). HLS has elected to use enamel-filled markings for adjustment dial and head, and mine has already started to wear off. Easy to replace (a la Gillette), but likely to need regular replacement on polished Titanium. And lastly, fairly light knurling on the highly polished handle, so you'll need dry hands (on a heavier razor, this would be a deal breaker, but usable on a razor as light as this one). With all of the above, I love it. Perfect? No, but one of the best adjustables I've used - along with the Muramasa. And then there's the Rocnel....:001_tongu

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I own and use both regularly (and the Sailor). The Muramasa is a tank (my Taiga is Titanium) - hefty, solid SS. Actually a simple design in use, very smooth and comfortable, great balance - and usable (for me) on all settings. Breaks down into 3 pieces for easy cleaning (and easy disassembly for more thorough cleaning, less frequently). All that said - the warts: it has a limited range of adjustment that may not fit all shavers. I prefer milder razors, and it certainly is, rivaling the AS-D2 on settings 1-2 (maybe 3). Efficient and very mild (for me). Settings 4 and 5 are slightly more efficient, but that's it. No multiple dial rotations. It also has central to its operation a small rubber grommet internally that will require periodic replacement - this O ring is the only adjustment for tension on the adjustment dial, and allows for some slack in the dial (there is some slight back/forth motion in the dial when on a setting). Tension can be changed with different diameters/materials in the O ring (in fact Tatara sent out replacements for users), but once you find the correct tension you are unlikely to change it, except to replace it because of wear, which will happen (it's rubber or silicone). A very elegant design, and I like it, but not perfect for everyone.

The Titanium Taiga is a Ferrari - the lightest razor I've used, slim and maneuverable, and the only razor besides the AS-D2 that I use exclusively with a Feather blade. Mild (but still efficient) on the lowest settings, and top-end adjustable for just about anyone's taste (you can rotate through at least a couple of turns of the dial), it's a complete package. Beautifully finished and constructed as well (essentially a Gibbs). Adjustment dial tension is easily changed by just swapping out the single spring. Unlike the Muramasa, the head requires a specific orientation during assembly - not a negative but just a feature of the design. With the above - the warts: the highly polished finish seems to attract soap film, so I completely disassemble the razor with each use. It then becomes a 7-piece razor. Easy to do (it's a Gibbs after all!), but definitely more time consuming than routine maintenance on the Muramasa. Not absolutely needed, but I'm particular about maintaining my equipment, and my water is very soft (less than 1 gpg). With hard water, you would absolutely want to do this to prevent harder-to-remove hard water stains which might eventually even affect the operation of the razor. The OEM spring additionally is fairly light for my taste, and allows very easy operation of the adjustment dial. Some would say too easy. If you grip further down on the handle, not so much a problem, but if you grip up near the head, you may find yourself adjusting up or down unintentionally during a shave. You can insert a stronger spring, but the length of the spring is limited by the design, and the size is not a common size - I have a slightly longer spring on mine, which works perfectly (for me). HLS has elected to use enamel-filled markings for adjustment dial and head, and mine has already started to wear off. Easy to replace (a la Gillette), but likely to need regular replacement on polished Titanium. And lastly, fairly light knurling on the highly polished handle, so you'll need dry hands (on a heavier razor, this would be a deal breaker, but usable on a razor as light as this one). With all of the above, I love it. Perfect? No, but one of the best adjustables I've used - along with the Muramasa. And then there's the Rocnel....:001_tongu

Great comments.

Do you have the Sailor? Yes, I see you do. If so...

Great comments.

Do you have the Sailor? Yes, I see you do. If so...
I do. :biggrin1: I have the MC 2021, so slightly different than the 2020 or even the 2021. It may be my favorite, but I alternate between the Muramasa, the Taiga and the Rex, and all have strengths and weaknesses. The Sailor is a precision instrument, in feel and function, and priced accordingly. It's also a heavy razor, so requires a significantly different approach when shaving, but it's every bit as smooth and efficient as others have indicated. And as they say "it goes to 11." :001_tongu You can adjust this beast - twice - to any conceivable efficiency/aggression anyone might want without using a straight - and the lower numbers are just as efficient and comfortable on the mild end of the spectrum. The top cap is actually flat, so more maneuverable than expected on first glance. It's really a 2-piece razor, and you can't disassemble it (at least easily, and I don't know anyone who has), so dead easy to rinse out, but again it very likely has some complicated innards (two springs in the baseplate for example), that are unreachable. It's like a custom-built track car, that you just drive and hope all goes well, because someone else will need to repair and service it (and on that note, because it's more or less hand-built, there are instances of heads falling off and medallions falling out). But man does it drive! Downsides are: the weight (140 g, more than 2.5x the Taiga), so not exactly nimble, but I believe the weight actually contributes to the efficiency. The handle knurling is also not the deepest, although works surprisingly well with care (did I mention the weight? :001_rolle), and the adjustment numbers are difficult to see. Again not a perfect razor, but my experience has been nothing less than outstanding, and is has become my favorite - for looks and function. It's not one I would ever consider using a Feather in (did I mention the weight? :001_rolle), but it rocks with an Astra or Personna.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I do. :biggrin1: I have the MC 2021, so slightly different than the 2020 or even the 2021. It may be my favorite, but I alternate between the Muramasa, the Taiga and the Rex, and all have strengths and weaknesses. The Sailor is a precision instrument, in feel and function, and priced accordingly. It's also a heavy razor, so requires a significantly different approach when shaving, but it's every bit as smooth and efficient as others have indicated. And as they say "it goes to 11." :001_tongu You can adjust this beast - twice - to any conceivable efficiency/aggression anyone might want without using a straight - and the lower numbers are just as efficient and comfortable on the mild end of the spectrum. The top cap is actually flat, so more maneuverable than expected on first glance. It's really a 2-piece razor, and you can't disassemble it (at least easily, and I don't know anyone who has), so dead easy to rinse out, but again it very likely has some complicated innards (two springs in the baseplate for example), that are unreachable. It's like a custom-built track car, that you just drive and hope all goes well, because someone else will need to repair and service it (and on that note, because it's more or less hand-built, there are instances of heads falling off and medallions falling out). But man does it drive! Downsides are: the weight (140 g, more than 2.5x the Taiga), so not exactly nimble, but I believe the weight actually contributes to the efficiency. The handle knurling is also not the deepest, although works surprisingly well with care (did I mention the weight? :001_rolle), and the adjustment numbers are difficult to see. Again not a perfect razor, but my experience has been nothing less than outstanding, and is has become my favorite - for looks and function. It's not one I would ever consider using a Feather in (did I mention the weight? :001_rolle), but it rocks with an Astra or Personna.

Great report.

I have the RSMC on order and paid for. It will be 2022 when it's made and shipped to me, so I'm just reading about the razor for now.

Thanks for all the great write ups on these interesting and costly razors.

I have and use only a very few adjustables - the Gillette Executive, the Merkur Vision, the Pearl Flexi, the Denali - but the Konsul and Sailor will arrive in due course.

There are a few others, vintage and new, on my shelves but they are never used. Slim for example.

I wish the Taiga had a fatter handle.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom