What's new

Konsul Slant Adjustable from the Rex Co.....

View attachment 1368729

Gus @GlazedBoker, I have a little question.

Do you know what the red marker is? It looks in the photo like it's a little jewel sitting on the top of the adjustment dial, but photos aren't as three dimensional as your eyes.

I'm not entirely sure if the prototypes you dealt with had this red marker, but I'm not sure they didn't.

Looking around a bit, it looks like the Ambassador has a similar red dot.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
Good eyes. I bought an Ambassador a few weeks ago and I'm noticing that the red dot has faded just a tad.

@GlazedBoker, thanks for the great review. The Ambassador is my daily driver. I really like the new handle design of the slant and have no doubt this will be a high quality razor. Great to see Matt stepping out into new territory!

What is the red dot made of? How is it affixed, assuming it is.

My guess is it's a synthetic jewel epoxied into a milled crater.

Happy shaves,

Jim
It should've been some type of jewel. I wouldn't have cared if it was fake or not. At $250.00 that dot shouldn't be just painted. I have an old necklace pendant that I don't wear anymore that has Mozambique rubies as eyes in it. I might try to see if I can get one put into the red dot on the Ambassador.

I've been doing some research on paint and Stainless Steel and it looks like Rex Supply skipped the process that would've made the paint almost impossible to come off.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yep. A few years now, and hasn't faded or worn, but my experience with Gillettes is it's dead easy to replace with a toothpick and a bottle of Testors (good for about a million repairs)....

Thank you.

11-19-21.Denali.Adjustable.640.JPG

My Denali, which I like very much indeed, had a red stripe, but I took it off with a light toothbrush/Dawn scrub. Apparently it hadn't been on long enough to fully dry and cure (which takes 7-10 days). The stripe is Testors.

I think I like the red dot on the Ambassador better than the red stripe.

Not that I even need the red stripe. It's easy enough without it. Maybe not quite as precise but very easily adjustable.

Thanks again

It should've been some type of jewel. I wouldn't have cared if it was fake or not. At $250.00 that dot shouldn't be just painted. I have an old necklace pendant that I don't wear anymore that has Mozambique rubies as eyes in it. I might try to see if I can get one put into the red dot on the Ambassador.

I've been doing some research on paint and Stainless Steel and it looks like Rex Supply skipped the process that would've made the paint almost impossible to come off.

Thanks. I agree.

From looking on eBay tonight I discovered that synthetic rubies in a 2 mm size are about $1 each including shipping.

Is there, on the Ambassador, a milled or cut indentation into which a drop of enamel paint is placed?

What's the process they skipped? All I know of is the time to cure (7-10 days), but I know almost nothing. (Just what I read about how to use Testors.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thank you.

View attachment 1368821

My Denali, which I like very much indeed, had a red stripe, but I took it off with a light toothbrush/Dawn scrub. Apparently it hadn't been on long enough to fully dry and cure (which takes 7-10 days). The stripe is Testors.

Not that I even need the red stripe. It's easy enough without it. Maybe not quite as precise but very easily adjustable.

Thanks again

Thanks. I agree.

From looking on eBay tonight I discovered that synthetic rubies in a 2 mm size are about $1 each including shipping.

Is there, on the Ambassador, a milled or cut indentation into which a drop of enamel paint is placed?

What's the process they skipped? All I know of is the time to cure (7-10 days), but I know almost nothing. (Just what I read about how to use Testors.)

Happy shaves,

Jim
Just a slight indentation in the adjustment ring, filled with red paint (not the greatest pic). With any enamel, you need to provide "tooth" to the surface to give it something to "grip" - just mild wet sanding is enough::

20211126_204903 (1).jpg

20211126_210250.jpg

Thank you.

View attachment 1368821

Thanks again

Thanks. I agree.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I'll check those synthetic rubies out on eBay.

They didn't prime the red dot area so the paint would stick to the stainless steel. Maybe it would've cost too much, idk.

I agree with both @BaldShaver09 & @Chan Eil Whiskers concerning a better quality marking whether it be some sort of synthetic stone or even a resin based epoxy that would bond to Stainless steel. The enamel red dot wears with time and subsequent use can potentially make it fade away. I've replaced my red dot markings with an epoxy based red resin with good results about 2 years ago. Still looks good as new and aesthetically more pleasing. Not a deal breaker but, for the money one spends that could have been addressed with a better method for a visual marker on the adjustment dial.

Great shaves to all.... :thumbup1:

I like my Ambassador very much but it’s a little too aggressive for me. I like the idea of a smoother and less blade-prone adjustable with similar looks, and would happily trade my Ambassador for a Konsul, but asking $100 more than the Ambassador is an exaggeration in my opinion.

Still a couple months away from launch but, just to start a thread to get the RAD juices flowing again especially for the upcoming '22 shave year. Yes, I used a couple variants of the prototype a couple months back and it was a delightful experience. Smoother feeling with less blade feel throughout it's whole range of both example prototypes. Personally, I'm not a big fan of slants but, I'm definitely considering getting on board with this new creation by Matt & the Rex/Razor Emporium crew.....

View attachment 1368455

View attachment 1368454

That's a neat looking razor. However, I won't be an early adopter of this razor due to the qc issues RE had in the past with new introduced razors...

:popc:

I've heard a few months ago that RE are working on a new razor project, but I was expecting something else. Like an adjustable oc razor maybe or a copy of any of the more premium vintage Gillette razors. But still it's never a bad thing to have a new razor on the market.

Also, for those who plan to get one, I advice them to wait a bit in case this model has any issues and needs a bit more time to be fixed. That's completely normal for the majority of the modern adjustable razors that we have on the market. Even the Rex Ambassador had lots of issues when it was released, so keep that in mind.

Looking forward to reading/watching the reviews! Here I thought the Wunderbar was the last slant I wanted :)

When I saw the title, I started to feel RAD kicking in, then I saw the price. Considering it will be at least €400 by the time it reaches the shelves here(thanks to the extortionate tax rates), if anyone decides to import a couple of items anyway, I'm safe.

:popc:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
7-6-21.Pearl.Flixi.Shavemac.Vitos.640.JPG

I'm not sure what the "jewel" insert on my Pearl Flexi actually is. It might be a synthetic jewel. It might be glass. In any case it's protected because it's indented. It's also good looking and gives a very clear and easy to see indication of the razor's setting.

This is a relatively inexpensive but still all metal adjustable. If they can do a "jewel," the others - particularly those costing three or four times as much - probably can, too.

Gus's idea of using epoxy resin sounds good, too, but it only comes in large sizes. (Not like Testors.)

I've heard a few months ago that RE are working on a new razor project, but I was expecting something else. Like an adjustable oc razor maybe or a copy of any of the more premium vintage Gillette razors. But still it's never a bad thing to have a new razor on the market.

Also, for those who plan to get one, I advice them to wait a bit in case this model has any issues and needs a bit more time to be fixed. That's completely normal for the majority of the modern adjustable razors that we have on the market. Even the Rex Ambassador had lots of issues when it was released, so keep that in mind.

Did Rex make good on the problems early Ambassador purchasers had?

I've already ordered so it's too late for me. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1368967

I'm not sure what the "jewel" insert on my Pearl Flexi actually is. It might be a synthetic jewel. It might be glass. In any case it's protected because it's indented. It's also good looking and gives a very clear and easy to see indication of the razor's setting.

This is a relatively inexpensive but still all metal adjustable. If they can do a "jewel," the others - particularly those costing three or four times as much - probably can, too.

Gus's idea of using epoxy resin sounds good, too, but it only comes in large sizes. (Not like Testors.)

Did Rex make good on the problems early Ambassador purchasers had?

I've already ordered so it's too late for me. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)

Happy shaves,

Jim
You may end up with no problems at all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, Jim!

Top Bottom