What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

13 September 2021
20210913_062914.jpg

Prep:
Old Spice bar soap Using Omega—11126--Italy
Razor:
King C Gillette (KCG) Closed Comb—China & Germany
Cream:
Old Spice Original—India Until it is used up
Blade:
Azmusebat--Derby Premium—Turkey Shave #3 and out
Brush:
Gray Dog—Ohio
Bowl:
Q-shave Scuttle
Passes:
WTG and ATG f/b moderate buffing
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, f/b Dickinson’s Witch Hazel f/b Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Jeris Musk for Men—USA
Rating(s):
8.5 CCS
Comments:
A dulling blade gave me a basic shave. Lots of stubble, but no nicks, or weepers.

Razor: Schick Krona TTO
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (2)
Brush: WCS Black Synth, 26mm
Bowl: Fine Lather Bowl

Lather: Valobra Shaving Soap

Italian Barber Acquatico After Shaving Splash

Valobra is a good soap. The lather gave a good cushion and glide. Three passes with short strokes for a BBS finish. I've used
probably 6 or 7 Gillette blades so far and I liked them all. This Gillette Yellow SharpEdge is really nice.
The post shave products were very good.
No nicks or weepers or razor burn. BBS 10

Have a great day everyone [emoji106]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Result: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Sandalwood shave soap (brushless - pump - applied by hand before 1st pass)
Soap: Stirling Varen
Brush: Semogue Pharos synthetic
Razor: Wolfman WR1 SS SB .74
Blade: Derby Premium (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger face tonic
AS: Maol Grooming Frakinlime splash

Two days of growth, plenty of stubble...wiped clean. Perfect shave, DFS/BBS with no blood. Varen was super-slick and whipped up very easily. The Derby Premium in the Wolfman was, admittedly, a test that worked out well. Two or three more shaves in that blade for sure. The Frankinlime smells great...I'll be trying the Frankinlime soap out this week. All in all, a wonderful start to the day.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

A Kit 20210913.jpg

Travelling. Stayed in a hotel last night with SOFT water. What a treat. Great luxurious lather with Grooming dept pre shave and Talbot Wilde Flowers soap, Omega 10049.
New Nacet in Timeless 0.68.
SMN Emulsione analcolica.

as close to 10/10 as I think I can get.

regards,
Stan
Wish I had soft water too

Yesterday and today.

Omega Jade Boar
Haslinger Schafmilch
GSB (7) and...
DE89!

I was bored, so I thought about giving the DE a spin.

Every time I use it, it strikes me as a very “uniform” shaver: hard to spot an area where there’s more stubble left. Very even.

But I also find it a little less comfortable than my Gillette Goodwill. And way, way less charming!

And yes, one weeper.

PS. The Jade is still hungry. At least when compared to the T3. I have to go back to the puck for a 2nd pass. But it feels great!

And I just don’t feel like using the Semogue 1800 anymore.

Overall - 8, cause it’s important to change sometimes.

View attachment 1327377

Today

Back in business

Omega out; Trafalgar T3 in.

DE89 out; Gillette Brazilian Goodwill in.

GSB (8), for the experiment. Retired. 7 is probably its upper limit.

Haslinger Schafmilch. I called this soap tofu after using it for the first time. Please ignore what I say until I try something for 3 or 4 times! The Schafmilch is becoming my favorite soap.

It’s really interesting to alternate between the T3 and the Jade.

I’ve become a fan of the T3, after it trailed the T2 for quite a while. For some reason, my T2 feels - or has become - somewhat prickly. The T3 doesn’t.

Overall - 9.

View attachment 1327382
I just finished a puck of Haslinger Ringelblumen last week. It was a good journey.

Razor: Schick - Easy Rider L6 (1971-72)
Blade: Personna - Precision Hollow Ground - 1950’s? (1st)
Pre-Shave: Stirling Pink Clay - Facial Bar Soap
Lather: Reuzel Shave Cream - Brushless, Latherless
Aftershave: Stirling - Tea Tree (Toner)
View attachment 1327012
Shave Rating: 9.5/10
I’m still trying to decide about this shave
This shave was a little different and I haven’t completely come to any final opinion on it.
I found the Reuzel shave cream in a clearance bin and picked it up without realizing that it was a brushless latherless cream. The Personna blade was of an unknown type and vintage. It was tossed in with a previous razor purchase.
View attachment 1327021
I rubbed the cream all over my face with my left hand, and held the razor in my right. The left hand stayed ensconced in cream for ease of reapplication. No lather, just a white film on my face. It did feel odd and inconvenient, but at no time did I get any nicks or scrapes or burn even though I worked the razor over my face more than usual. The cream had slickness and protection, but the blade didn’t feel as efficient as I’m used to with a brand new injector blade. I had to work at trying to get my usual BBS, but after more than enough scrubbing, I gave up. Close but no cigar.
I wouldn’t call this vintage Personna blade dull as there was no tugging or grabbing, but it seemed extremely mild. I really had to work it for my smooth shave. I’m not sure whether to give it a second go, or toss it.
I will give the Reuzel cream another go round with a more familiar razor, but I’m still not that keen on shaving with a razor in one hand, and the other covered in a layer of cream.
My skin type is really enjoying the Tea Tree AS Toner.
Much thanks for your review on the shaving cream. I have had it in my cart for a while and was hesitating. The aftershave was good though. Hope to hear more about the cream....

Much thanks for your review on the shaving cream. I have had it in my cart for a while and was hesitating. The aftershave was good though. Hope to hear more about the cream....
You already have more shaving cream than you’ll ever need. You are already spoiled beyond redemption and would probably abandon the Reuzel cream after one application. I think brushless creams are more suited to women for shaving their legs.

9A139B6B-CBE4-4C32-A917-4103AECEA8EE.jpeg

Razor: Gillette Travel Tech
Blade: Wizamet (4)
Brush: Stirling Tuxedo Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep

Good morning! Today I woke up to utility trucks outside, and no running water. Fortunately there’s a shower at my work, though I hadn’t used it before today. This afforded me an opportunity to try out the travel kit I put together the other day when I got my Travel Tech in the mail.
I had a surprisingly awesome shave, despite the odd location. Face lathered Electric Sheep with the Stirling synthetic. My little tin was just large enough to load from pretty easily, and made a nice slick lather. Two passes with the Tech / Wizamet. I was trying extra hard to keep my angles right - the tiny handle makes it really easy to lose it, and listening for audible feedback was rough because of the wicked loud exhaust fan. Incredible results though. DFS/BBS Finished with Captain’s Bay Rum and hyaluronic acid.

10/10

Today's shave

My Beautytrack DE razor loaded with a Feather blade (yes you read that correct!).
My Taylor Of Old Bond Street shaving cream (Sandalwood).
No shaving brush was used as I don't have one (yet).

Overall shave 9/10.

Reason for that score: Today marks a milestone in my DE shaving by loading my DE razor with a Feather blade and the shave was almost first class (not quite due to a few nicks but that was to be expected). It felt really awesome knowing that I am dragging one of the world's sharpest blades (based on what I have read) across my face! However I am not sure if I am getting the full potential out of the Feather blade by using it in a dirt-cheap razor. Thats why the score is not 10/10 yet.

Jason.

(PS I try to be as objective as I can in my shave reviews, but I fully understand everyone's experience is different)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Mitchells Wool Fat
Vulfix mixed badger/boar brush
Red Tip Super Speed
Gillette Spoiler blade
Floid Original 1932 After shave.

A great shave, every one of these products never fails to produce.
BBS all over with 2 passes. I got careless at the end of the shave and for the first time in years got a little bite on my adams apple.

9 of 10 rating, but the -1 is my own fault and not any of the products.

Last edited:
Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: OneBlade Hybrid
Blade: Feather FHS-10 (5)
Soap: PdP #63
Bowl: Blue Timeless Bowl
Brush: Semogue Cherry Handle SOC Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 9.75/10 Very Good 3 pass BBS with five touch ups. No weepers, cuts but minor irritation. Blade was a little tuggy again today which resulted in the irritation. Blade has been retired. As I mentioned earlier thinking 4 shaves on a blade with flipping it would be the max for me and still have comfortable shaves. Glad I learned of flipping the blade so it at least doubles the life of the blade.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Today's shave

My Beautytrack DE razor loaded with a Feather blade (yes you read that correct!).
My Taylor Of Old Bond Street shaving cream (Sandalwood).
No shaving brush was used as I don't have one (yet).

Overall shave 9/10.

Reason for that score: Today marks a milestone in my DE shaving by loading my DE razor with a Feather blade and the shave was almost first class (not quite due to a few nicks but that was to be expected). It felt really awesome knowing that I am dragging one of the world's sharpest blades (based on what I have read) across my face! However I am not sure if I am getting the full potential out of the Feather blade by using it in a dirt-cheap razor. Thats why the score is not 10/10 yet.

Jason.

(PS I try to be as objective as I can in my shave reviews, but I fully understand everyone's experience is different)

Comrade! You need a brush...I have two I am willing to let go of...brand new...never been used. Both are good synthetic brushes from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements...one is 'The Peregrino' and the other is 'The Starcraft'. Read about them here:

The Peregrino - 24mm Roswell (grey) Hybrid Synth Brush - Retro Shave Tech! - https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/collections/phoenix-shaving-brushes/products/the-peregrino-24mm-roswell-grey-hybrid-synth-brush-retro-shave-tech

The Starcraft - 24mm Roswell (grey) Hybrid Synth Brush - Retro Shave Tech! - https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/collections/phoenix-shaving-brushes/products/the-starcraft-24mm-hybrid-roswell-grey-synthetic-brush-retro-shave-tech

Let me know if you're interested.

PAA Brushes.jpg

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Monday's shave

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: Super Speed (1940's)
Blade: Perma-Sharp, #1
Soap: Proraso Green
Brush: Stirling boar, partially broken in
Post shave: Thayer's WH folowed by Aqua Velva A/S splash

CCS+, 8.5 / 10

Thoughts? I like this razor a lot, but frankly, I think I'll go back to the Tech after playing with this for a while. The slim head on the Tech which allows for such a shallow shaving angle is hard to beat, it is a near perfect design. But this is a great razor! Love the blade, I think it was recommended to me by @Atlantic59 IIRC. Looking forward to shave 2 to see how it behaves. And finally, I think I may not reload my Proraso Green. Yes, it's a classic. Yes, it's been a permanent staple in my den forever. But after trying so many new artisan soaps, well ... it just doesn't make the cut for me any more. If the latest reformulation was that big a difference, or if maybe this wasn't ideal because it's so old, someone tell me, maybe I'll give it one more go. But it just does not rise to the level of 'must have' for me any more.

2021-09-13.jpg

Sunny Monday Shave:

RR German 37 slant razor
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black) (2)
Semogue SOC finest badger
Prep Derma pre-shave cream
Cyril R Salter citrus shave cream (sample)
Dickinson's witch hazel + Pereja limon kolonya
Pinaud Citrus Musk + Osage Rub

Clean, close shave; DFS+

Nice citrus blast! I will miss Summer.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday,SEptember 13th 2021

Razor: Gem Micromatic clog Pruf(Peerless 17 nib SB model),Mfg 1945, excellent mid range, built to last generations, great razor to use when blade use count gets high or any time. Brass construction and Micromatics where way ahead of the competition for TTO at first introduction 1930.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(9) excellent blade, Very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum with sage & cedarwood. nice scent with a little clove, great lather qualities. I Load soap with damp brush from my bowl more pastier and then wet the face apply and wet as needed seems to work the best, total bowl lathering with it is finicky I have found. Nice soap regardless.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Artic sky knot, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Ogallala Bayrum with Sandal wood :001_wub: + a tiny dollop of CeraVe balm.(great stuff + scentless)
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:excellent shave with my Micromatic Clog Pruf (Peerless model) and a coated Gem blade.

SOTD,  Sep 13th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: GEM 1912, chrome (nickel?) plated with the hexagonal(?) handle; circa 1928?
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (12)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Rating: 10

This morning's shave on < 2 days of growth. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, and no nicks or irritation. Perfect results again with the GEM.

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Coates Sandalwood Cream
Brush
Bigelow Silvertip Badger in Super
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Wolfman SS SB 1.05
Blade
Personna Med Prep
Aftershave
Thayers WH & PAA Mysterium Serum
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo Man Intense
Rating
10/10
Comments
Changed blades on the Wolfman. Now using the Personna Med Prep blade – one of my favorites. The Bigelow does an excellent job of making sufficient lather for a four-pass face shave and two-pass head shave. A nice BBS shave to start the week off. Have a good one, gents.

Top Bottom