What's new

Please, Someone Smarter Than Myself ... *(BOLD asterisk)

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
* which qualifies each & every one of y’all!

Please convince me that Bill Geissele’s, or more specifically, his wife’s ALG Defense plant-based lubricants are all that & then some. While they certainly do feel slicker than my go-to lubes (Royal Purple Synfilm & Brian Enos’ Slide-Glide Lite grease), I’m old enough to have my doubts 🤷‍♂️.

I have read various studies/testimonies asserting the superiority of plant-based lubes, but again, I, in railroad speak, have a lot of ‘whiskers’ & thus, have my doubts.

Totally unrelated, the oderless Shooter Lube Solvent is an amazingly effective product ... so effective in fact, that though they say that it “totally evaporates”, I feel as though I need to chase it with non-chlorinated Brake Cleaner so that it doesn’t break down the RP Synfilm ... or Go-Juice(s), as it were.

Most, really all lubes are organic chemicals, meaning carbon based. They will over time oxidize, some extremely slow, others relatively fast, think of the process of paint or varnish drying, that is oxidation. Often when an organic compound, and especially a petroleum based, oxidizes it darkens or turns brown.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I can't help you. There was a time when I'd try every new fangled lube that came along. I tend to agree with Tyler:
I just use breakfree clp. It goes on everything, and I just re-lube once things start drying out.

What advantage does one lube have over another if they keep the slide/bolt moving properly?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I have at least a half dozen lubes on hand, but I mostly use CLP or my mixture of "Ed's Red". Years ago I was gifted the better part of a gallon jug of Breakfree and I also mixed up nearly a gallon of Red. It will be a long time before I buy anymore lubes. As for chasing one solvent with another, you might be overthinking things? But then the critical eye would probably say I'm a slob when it comes to gun maintenance.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I used to have 5-6 different solvents and probably just as many different greases and lubes laying around. Now I stick to tetra grease on parts that slide and gunbutter on parts that rotate. There are probably better things out there, but I have found that these work for me and I probably have a 10yr supply of each. I wipe the outside down with **gasp** Remoil and then put it back in the safe. All of my firearms are pulled and at the very least wiped down twice a year so I don’t really worry about the Remoil disappearing. If I need longer term storage I’d probably use something else.

Cleaning is Hoppes and ultrasonic followed by a blast from the compressor to get water/solvent out of all the nooks and crannies.

I do carry CLP in my range bag. If I’ve been shooting a lot I’ll sometimes field strip and spray with CLP during a break, wipe the gun down and continue shooting.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I used to have 5-6 different solvents and probably just as many different greases and lubes laying around. Now I stick to tetra grease on parts that slide and gunbutter on parts that rotate. There are probably better things out there, but I have found that these work for me and I probably have a 10yr supply of each. I wipe the outside down with **gasp** Remoil and then put it back in the safe. All of my firearms are pulled and at the very least wiped down twice a year so I don’t really worry about the Remoil disappearing. If I need longer term storage I’d probably use something else.

Cleaning is Hoppes and ultrasonic followed by a blast from the compressor to get water/solvent out of all the nooks and crannies.

I do carry CLP in my range bag. If I’ve been shooting a lot I’ll sometimes field strip and spray with CLP during a break, wipe the gun down and continue shooting.

Good post. What is the “Gasp RemOil” about? Is it not a good CLP? That’s what I have been pretty much exclusively using for years?

Good ole’ Walmart lube. :). Hard to beat a classic petroleum based distillate, with a Teflon dry lubricant that stays behind after drying and leaves that thin film of goodness on all my guns.

It’s great for cleaning. It works awesomely preserving the metal on my guns when in storage. The aerosol cans of RemOil can be kinda thin, but I want it thin when I’m cleaning and displacing powder residue and moisture from rain, sweat and ****. :)

When I pull a gun out from longtime storage to use, I grab a bottle of the liquid RemOil instead of the aerosol can and squeeze some of it’s thicker lube onto the moving parts and then go shoot away.

Am I missing some kind of hidden information about the horrid ness of RemOil? Please educate me, because I don’t want to be ruining my guns without even knowing it?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Good post. What is the “Gasp RemOil” about? Is it not a good CLP? That’s what I have been pretty much exclusively using for years?

Good ole’ Walmart lube. :). Hard to beat a classic petroleum based distillate, with a Teflon dry lubricant that stays behind after drying and leaves that thin film of goodness on all my guns.

It’s great for cleaning. It works awesomely preserving the metal on my guns when in storage. The aerosol cans of RemOil can be kinda thin, but I want it thin when I’m cleaning and displacing powder residue and moisture from rain, sweat and ****. :)

When I pull a gun out from longtime storage to use, I grab a bottle of the liquid RemOil instead of the aerosol can and squeeze some of it’s thicker lube onto the moving parts and then go shoot away.

Am I missing some kind of hidden information about the horrid ness of RemOil? Please educate me, because I don’t want to be ruining my guns without even knowing it?

IMO there’s nothing wrong with RemOil. There are a lot of folks out there that claim RemOil gets gummy, breaks down, doesn’t protect from rust, doesn’t stay put, etc. Of course these claims always seem to be from people that are claiming that product x, y, or z are vastly superior. I’ve been on a few gun forums in the past where I’ve been accused of being a moron (and worse) for using RemOil which is why I added the **gasp**. I personally have never had any issues with it and have been using for over 30yrs. When I mentioned long term storage I was thinking multiple years, so I would probably go with a thick grease just for added protection.

OkieStubble

There’s a lot of folks out there that claim RemOil gets gummy, breaks down, doesn’t protect from rust, doesn’t stay put, etc. Of course these claims always seem to be from people that are claiming that product x, y, or z are vastly superior. I’ve been on a few gun forums in the past where I’ve been accused of being a moron (and worse) for using RemOil which is why I added the **gasp**. I personally have never had any issues with it and have been using for over 30yrs.

Same here. 30 years of faithful use and the bolt lugs on my Remington 870 Police I’ve had for 20 years looks to be the same with no wear. Is RemOil to thank for that I wonder? :)

Have you seen all the chatter in the gun forums about where has RemOil gone? Apparently it’s getting harder to find because of Remington’s demise and the oil shortages.

I have seen hundreds of posts of gun enthusiasts crying and woe about missing good ole’ RemOil.

Kinda reminds me of that song by Bon Jovi. “Don’t know whatcha got, until it’s gooooonnnneeee….” ;)

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Same here. 30 years of faithful use and the bolt lugs on my Remington 870 Police I’ve had for 20 years looks to be the same with no wear. Is RemOil to thank for that I wonder? :)

Have you seen all the chatter in the gun forums about where has RemOil gone? Apparently it’s getting harder to find because of Remington’s demise and the oil shortages.

I have seen hundreds of posts of gun enthusiasts crying and woe about missing good ole’ RemOil.

Kinda reminds me of that song by Bon Jovi. “Don’t know whatcha got, until it’s gooooonnnneeee….” ;)

I haven’t been active on any gun forums for a while. To many egos and opinions for me. There was a local gun shop that went out of business some time ago and I was able to purchase what should amount to a lifetime supply for cheap.

OkieStubble

I haven’t been active on any gun forums for a while. To many egos and opinions for me. There was a local gun shop that went out of business some time ago and I was able to purchase what should amount to a lifetime supply for cheap.

Other than a few Leo forums like police one and cop talk forums, I am not signed up for a single firearms forum because of the same atmosphere you mentioned.

However, those same forums can be a well spring of helpful information. So what I do, is google my firearms questions and then type “forums” in behind the question.

The exact threads that pertain to my question will come up and I can get all the information I need.

Helpful and not so helpful. :)

For example, not only were you and others here in this forum an extremely helpful and comfortable oasis of support when I was having my Springfield 1911 issues, but when I searched the forums and found many who have had the same troubles I was having and that Springfield CS did them right, it let me know I wasn’t alone in my troubles.

All of that help, and I’m only a member here. :)

I have used Rem Oil for 30 years or better myself with no issues. I keep a can in my range bag. I switched to another product for rust prevention a few years ago based on reviews and some tests I saw.

As far as a cleaning solvent goes, I always kept a gallon or so of Ed's Red mixed up. It's great for a whole gun soak.

OkieStubble

I have used Rem Oil for 30 years or better myself with no issues. I keep a can in my range bag. I switched to another product for rust prevention a few years ago based on reviews and some tests I saw.

As far as a cleaning solvent goes, I always kept a gallon or so of Ed's Red mixed up. It's great for a whole gun soak.

What is the other product you switched to for rust prevention?

OkieStubble

🤔 I can't be the only Ballistol fan...

And brake cleaner (not on plastic!) and penetrating oil ... Even WD40 (for patch wetting, not storage).

AA

Im glad you mentioned this. I remember there used to be two different type cans of ‘Gun Scrubber’?

One kind, was like brake cleaner and you couldn’t get it on synthetic stocks or plastics. Then they had another kind that was ‘safe for synthetics’?

I can’t find that one anymore?

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
All gun butters are GUARENTEED! to make your guns indestructible, reduce group sizes by half, and make you more appealing to to fairer sex! Or not. I like Gibbs for cleaning (Synthetic ATF and isopropyl alcohol as best I can tell. A kinder version of Ed's Red Dip mostly likely but if you can find some sperm whale oil whip up a batch! That stuff is the bees knees according to the old timers) and Mobile 1 0w-30 for gun oil. Plus side is a quart will last a life time! Areo Kroil is good too!

All gun butters are GUARENTEED! to make your guns indestructible, reduce group sizes by half, and make you more appealing to to fairer sex! Or not. I like Gibbs for cleaning (Synthetic ATF and isopropyl alcohol as best I can tell. A kinder version of Ed's Red Dip mostly likely but if you can find some sperm whale oil whip up a batch! That stuff is the bees knees according to the old timers) and Mobile 1 0w-30 for gun oil. Plus side is a quart will last a life time! Areo Kroil is good too!
I stay away from the lightweight motor oil, especially in the heat of summer, My lawn mower specifies 20w 50 for the hydraulic pumps so go that route. I have the better part of a quart of Mobil 1 15w50 left over from something that I use on my guns. My thinking is the heavier weight ond the cold end, ie storage, which would be the 15w end is good to stay in place better than a o or 5 w, and the 50w will stay in place better if the gun gets hot instead of thinning and running out.

Top Bottom