What's new

Please, Someone Smarter Than Myself ... *(BOLD asterisk)

I love Clp, but that's engrained in me. I could use it as an aftershave I think lol. But have started using Ballistol on stuff to try out. Snipershide had a few test videos on lubes. Don't recall what was 'best'. 'we' once used motoroil because we ran out of clp. Had gallons of it for a machine gun range in Georgia. It poured all day, it sucked cleaning afterwords though, I can't recommend it lol.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Well if motor ain't your thing I would avoid the Lucas products (They are also great BTW). The synthetic oil reminds me of gear oil in viscosity and smell and the grease seems like the stuff you would find in CV axle joints. I also like Mil-Com TW25b for bolt lugs and the such.

I am extraordinarily agnostic re lube believing location/amt is far more important than brand/type.

I am presently using a $3.00 tub of Walmart lithium bearing grease I bought about 15 years ago and/or mobile one synthetic motor oil.

I have had no issues with the above from an ambient temp of high teens to low 100s shooting in MO/KAN/TN/OK/AZ/TX and NM when shooting Glocks/Revolvers/Mossberg 590s/FNs .308s/1911s and a Bolt Action .308 rifle.

I have seen filthy but well lubed ARs (petroleum based grease) run with no issues 400-500 rd per day in a class. The rifle in question had not been purportedly cleaned in over 5000 previous rounds.

I also saw a carbine run well when generously and repeatedly lubed with Vagilsil after its spotless bolt cooked/shot off a very thin coating of alleged sewing machine oil and malfunctioned.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Im glad you mentioned this. I remember there used to be two different type cans of ‘Gun Scrubber’?

One kind, was like brake cleaner and you couldn’t get it on synthetic stocks or plastics. Then they had another kind that was ‘safe for synthetics’?

I can’t find that one anymore?

Spent $8 on a can of legit Gun Scrubber and it did nothing plain old $2 brake cleaner doesn't.

There's a non-chlorinated version but both are super dangerous to plastic parts.

I shoot a lot of milsurp, wood and steel, with corrosive combloc ammo, so. Harsh works.

Oil choice depends on gun. Plastic poodle-shooters* need $$$ lubes and cleaners.

Lately I just shoot revolvers, they're not fussy.

AA

* (Explains for non-shooters) Jokingly used derisive term for AR-style rifles, especially those in 22-caliber.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
All gun butters are GUARENTEED! to make your guns indestructible, reduce group sizes by half, and make you more appealing to to fairer sex! Or not. I like Gibbs for cleaning (Synthetic ATF and isopropyl alcohol as best I can tell. A kinder version of Ed's Red Dip mostly likely but if you can find some sperm whale oil whip up a batch! That stuff is the bees knees according to the old timers) and Mobile 1 0w-30 for gun oil. Plus side is a quart will last a life time! Areo Kroil is good too!

I think Hoppe's smells good enough to dab a bit behind each ear. Can't tell me there ain't some chick's you can attract with that scent. Like at the truck stop or garage or somewhere? :)

OkieStubble

I love Clp, but that's engrained in me. I could use it as an aftershave I think lol. But have started using Ballistol on stuff to try out. Snipershide had a few test videos on lubes. Don't recall what was 'best'. 'we' once used motoroil because we ran out of clp. Had gallons of it for a machine gun range in Georgia. It poured all day, it sucked cleaning afterwords though, I can't recommend it lol.

Ima gunna have to try Ballistol. Don't know why I haven't yet after all these years. If it's good enuf for Hickok 45 it's good nuf' for me. :)

OkieStubble

Spent $8 on a can of legit Gun Scrubber and it did nothing plain old $2 brake cleaner doesn't.

There's a non-chlorinated version but both are super dangerous to plastic parts.

I shoot a lot of milsurp, wood and steel, with corrosive combloc ammo, so. Harsh works.

Oil choice depends on gun. Plastic poodle-shooters* need $$$ lubes and cleaners.

Lately I just shoot revolvers, they're not fussy.

AA

* (Explains for non-shooters) Jokingly used derisive term for AR-style rifles, especially those in 22-caliber.

But it was funny as hell... :)

OkieStubble

I am extraordinarily agnostic re lube believing location/amt is far more important than brand/type.

I am presently using a $3.00 tub of Walmart lithium bearing grease I bought about 15 years ago and/or mobile one synthetic motor oil.

I have had no issues with the above from an ambient temp of high teens to low 100s shooting in MO/KAN/TN/OK/AZ/TX and NM when shooting Glocks/Revolvers/Mossberg 590s/FNs .308s/1911s and a Bolt Action .308 rifle.

I have seen filthy but well lubed ARs (petroleum based grease) run with no issues 400-500 rd per day in a class. The rifle in question had not been purportedly cleaned in over 5000 previous rounds.

I also saw a carbine run well when generously and repeatedly lubed with Vagilsil after its spotless bolt cooked/shot off a very thin coating of alleged sewing machine oil and malfunctioned.

I did a 2 day LE rifle class a few years back in Stroud Okla. 500 rounds of .556 and 150 pistol a day for the 2 days. 1st day, my Colt LE6920 gave me several hiccups because of my new found Frog Lube. The directions for Frog Lube was to apply several coats and sticking the metal parts of the gun in an oven to warm up so the application would sink into the metal. Anyone remember those directions for applying Frog Lube? :)

Once that rifle got hot from shooting and the 105 degree day in August, that Frog Lube baked on, turned brown and sticky and began causing malfunctions by gumming up the bolt and probably, the buffer spring also. I hosed the rifle with a can of RemOil and the yellow straw that attaches to it just to finish that first day.

Took it home that night, decontaminated all the Frog Lube from my beloved 6920, and lubed it afterwards with RemOil again. 2nd day went flawlessly. :)

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ima gunna have to try Ballistol. Don't know why I haven't yet after all these years. If it's good enuf for Hickok 45 it's good nuf' for me. :)

All you need to know:

:"The company made a breakthrough at the turn of the century, when the German Imperial Army needed an all-round oil with very special properties: a multi-purpose oil that would be suitable for all the materials of a weapon – for cleaning, care, and conservation of the metal parts, wooden stocks, and leather straps. At the same time, it was to be used by soldiers as a wound oil for smaller injuries, chaps, and abrasions"

AA

Last edited:

OkieStubble

All you need to know:

Lol'd. Working with tools in a hot garage while drinking Mad Dog don't mix? :)

Ballistol also works on old screwdrivers handles that are smelling like vomit. Anybody with old Craftsman drivers knows what I'm taking about!

Yes. Yes! True-but-gross recollection.
AA

:"The company made a breakthrough at the turn of the century, when the German Imperial Army needed an all-round oil with very special properties: a multi-purpose oil that would be suitable for all the materials of a weapon – for cleaning, care, and conservation of the metal parts, wooden stocks, and leather straps. At the same time, it was to be used by soldiers as a wound oil for smaller injuries, chaps, and abrasions"

AA

RemOil is getting harder to find on the shelves and more expensive when found online. Ballistol will probably be my replacement go to.

If the gun is filthy, like with a lot of unburnt powder, I hit it with Rem Action Cleaner. It has become stupid expensive if you can get it.

I have been using Ballistol for the last 22 years and I've found the more you use it, the easier the fouling comes off. It works really well on black powder residue when cut with water.

For heavy copper or lead fouling I use Sweets 7.62.
For long term storage I use Boeshield T9.

OkieStubble

If the gun is filthy, like with a lot of unburnt powder, I hit it with Rem Action Cleaner. It has become stupid expensive if you can get it.

I have been using Ballistol for the last 22 years and I've found the more you use it, the easier the fouling comes off. It works really well on black powder residue when cut with water.

For heavy copper or lead fouling I use Sweets 7.62.
For long term storage I use Boeshield T9.

Ballistol cut with water? It mixes without separating?

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Pretty hard to offend us hockey pucks:)
Just because… 🤣🤣🤣
54136B17-29D6-4306-A1E7-9D63A1FCD26C.jpeg

And back on topic!

Last edited:
I'm hooked on G96. Love the smell of it and seems to work great.
Was recommended by a few members at my club.

G96 is what I've used for probably close to 30 years now. For me it works great and you can't beat the way it smells. My wife even said she didn't hate the it ;). After cleaning, I use a couple of drops of Hoppe's Elite gun oil on the moving parts. There my be better stuff out there but this has worked for me for a long time.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Ballistol is good stuff, especially for wood and leather. Been using it for thirty years. Still don't like the smell, though.

But my very favorite juice is TSI-321.

Started using it with my airguns, as it does not attack seals. It's a great pellet lube that does not ignite under pressure.

A synthetic ester, the stuff goes on thin, penetrates and adheres--the usual yadda-yadda about all CLPS. But the stuff does tend to persist and is an excellent rust protectant.

I use it liberally on my firearms, as it has a high flash point and doesn't get gummy.

You don't see it marketed that widely, though it does show up a lot in LEO media and cop shops.

And, as with all miracle juice, it's fairly expensive.

Top Bottom