What's new

Hot dogs anyone?

Long time ago -- 1977 -- I was barnstorming across parts of Europe as part of the nearly-obligatory coming-of-age ritual of the times. There I was in Copenhagen: the Carlsberger Glyptotek, Tivoli Garden, caught a live performance of Cirque du Soleil, strolled the markets eating wonderful street food, discovered a red-light district larger than my hometown. Amazing stuff.

While wandering one street what to my wondering eye should appear but a Burger King franchise. I just had to confirm my suspicions, so I opened the door and looked in. Full of North American tourists, scarfing burgers and fries, with a couple of tables of Danes clearly bemused by the "quality" of the food, the quantity of it, and the way some people could pack it all away.

Walked straight outta there, bought myself a jug of beer, and sat on a park bench for a while to recombobulate.

O.H.
Many years ago I was in the Netherlands on business. Much to my surprise the McDonald's was very crowded. I learned from my client that they charged extra for Ketchup or any condiment and that the natives used mayonnaise on their fries. A few years ago I returned as a tourist. I met up with some folks I knew back when I traveled there. They took me to a restaurant, I think it was called The Happy Bull, for lunch. They served American fare and had a number of varieties of hamburgers and hot dogs. The hamburger I had was excellent.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Now there is a condiment that I don't hear of often. I'm not sure how it is made where you are from but here in Wisconsin my grandma used to make huge batches primarily with green tomatoes and lots of spices. I remember her batches were so big that they would grind the tomatoes into big tubs with the commercial meet grinder that they used for processing beef and pork on the farm. We always had at least a dozen pints of it on the canning shelves in the basement. Grandma had dozens. She hasn't made it in many years but I sure do remember how it tasted on a good grinded natural casing hotdog.

Sounds great! 🤔 Interesting, thought it was purely a southern thing.

There's a thread here recently where a forum member made some from scratch like that... I use a fairly tame grocery store jar version.

AA

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Many years ago I was in the Netherlands on business. Much to my surprise the McDonald's was very crowded. I learned from my client that they charged extra for Ketchup or any condiment and that the natives used mayonnaise on their fries. A few years ago I returned as a tourist. I met up with some folks I knew back when I traveled there. They took me to a restaurant, I think it was called The Happy Bull, for lunch. They served American fare and had a number of varieties of hamburgers and hot dogs. The hamburger I had was excellent.

I was in Brussels at one point when I was seventeen. It was about 8 PM, I was walking around by myself, I was kinda drunk, and I was hungry. I came upon a McDonald's.

Normally, I wouldn't go into a McDonald's even to chase a thief, but I was intrigued as to what the Belgian version might hold. Words never can express how elated I was to be able to sit down with a Happy Meal and a beer (especially since the Happy Meal prize was a small tub of Play-Doh!)

There's something to be said for experiencing your native culture through another's lens.

Does anyone else remember a hot dog place called TJ Fritz? It had a small octagon tile floor in a green and white color scheme and I think a leprechaun mascot. I remember going there in the mid to late 80s and maybe early 90s but it’s not around anymore to my knowledge

🤔 Don't overlook the easiest way of all: microsteaming.

1. Tear off one square paper towel.

2. Put a bun down diagonal in one corner.

3. Drop a dog in, roll tightly, tuck corners.

4. Microwave 40 seconds. Voila, steamed dog and bun. Just like the ballpark one in an aluminum bag.

Then add your chow chow, or remoulade and crunchy onions.

AA
If you really want it steamed, use a damp (but not wet paper) towel.

Nothing like a chili dog or a slaw dog from the Varsity in Athens, GA. Add onion rings and an FO...yum!

What'll ya have, what'll ya have...

View attachment 1256563
The only reason I wished I lived in Atlanta! I haven’t had the Varsity in ages. Agree with you whole heartedly but I go for the Varsity Orange instead of the FO and pass on the steak… the dogs are that good.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
My old home town used to have a little hotdog place called "Der Wienerschnitzel."

Setting aside that the pronoun should be neuter instead of masculine...and of course a cutlet from Vienna is NOT a hotdog.

Of course everyone called it "Durr Wee Nurr Shnitt Zull."

But a good dog, as I recall. I do remember elder persons complaining about "that German restaurant" attracting so much business from the otherwise scandalously lazy teenagers.

O.H.

Sounds great! 🤔 Interesting, thought it was purely a southern thing.

There's a thread here recently where a forum member made some from scratch like that... I use a fairly tame grocery store jar version.

AA
An old fellar at the church I used to go to made his own chow chow. He gave me a jar. I was unsure what it was or how exactly to eat it. From what I could remember he said you put it in ham and beans. So that is what I did with it. Pretty good stuff. Bet it would be good on a hot dog. You say you can buy this mystery condiment in the store? I may have to have a look for some.

If your from new england or can get Kayem hot dogs, give em a try,, natural casing with beef and pork,, love them, brought 5lbs back with me last week.. I have had nathans, but they are too salty and too much preservatives.,

normally grill the buns , flat side thin coat of butter,, cant get them here in florida.. (there just getting split top buns here, but not flat sided)
Then I will boil the hot dogs, toss the water, throw in a dob of butter, sear them.. can be grilled as well, but this way is quick.

Relish in the bun, hot dog and spicy brown mustard..

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
If your from new england or can get Kayem hot dogs, give em a try,, natural casing with beef and pork,, love them, brought 5lbs back with me last week.. I have had nathans, but they are too salty and too much preservatives.,

normally grill the buns , flat side thin coat of butter,, cant get them here in florida.. (there just getting split top buns here, but not flat sided)
Then I will boil the hot dogs, toss the water, throw in a dob of butter, sear them.. can be grilled as well, but this way is quick.

Relish in the bun, hot dog and spicy brown mustard..
Can you still get Pearl Country Club Franks in the Boston area? They were outstanding. Another good local dog there was the Deutschmacher Deli frank. I think they were bought by Kayem, but they're still sold under their own label.

Owen Bawn

Anyone ever try Ballpark Angus Beef hot dogs? My daughter's having a big group of her old high school friends here over the weekend so Dad's looking for a quality supermarket (ie, relatively inexpensive) grade of hot dog to offer to a large crowd, and the Ballpark Angus are 30% off regular price this week at Meijers.

On the grill for sure doesnt matter what kid of meat either. I do not like them with hot dog buns though. As for toppings I'm good with just about anything.

Anyone ever try Ballpark Angus Beef hot dogs? My daughter's having a big group of her old high school friends here over the weekend so Dad's looking for a quality supermarket (ie, relatively inexpensive) grade of hot dog to offer to a large crowd, and the Ballpark Angus are 30% off regular price this week at Meijers.
They are good.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Now there is a condiment that I don't hear of often. I'm not sure how it is made where you are from but here in Wisconsin my grandma used to make huge batches primarily with green tomatoes and lots of spices.

There may be a conceptual distance between "chow chow" and "piccalilli" but my mother made gallons of piccalilli every summer. Green tomatoes, onions, red sweet pepper, spices. I grew up on the stuff. She was amused at my son when he was little always asking for "ralish" on his hot dogs. As far as he was concerned Gramma's "ralish" was the only thing he wanted.

Coming from the PNW originally, I heard my elders refer to "chow chow" as a hot and spicy thing, as in you'd say "Ow-Chow-Chowch" when you ate it so it was called "Chow Chow."

O.H.

Owen Bawn

They are good.
My wife chose these - the Meijers store brand of Angus beef dogs- on the recommendation of some guy in a meat cutter's smock at meijer's. Hope they're good because if these kids don't like them I'll be stuck with about 3 dozen of them.

skinless angus.png

The other day I was craving a late night snack from my youth - a chili cheese Big Bite from 7-11. The catch - there isn’t a 7-11 where I live, and I doubt they do the hot dog bar anymore anyway. So I got some Nathan’s Jumbo dogs, a can of Hormel Chili, some shredded cheese and a jar of pickled jalapeños. Tasted almost exactly like leaving a concert at 2am.

Thanks. It was a gift from my girlfriend, which I've been unable to use as a travel set due to covid.
The other day I was craving a late night snack from my youth - a chili cheese Big Bite from 7-11. The catch - there isn’t a 7-11 where I live, and I doubt they do the hot dog bar anymore anyway. So I got some Nathan’s Jumbo dogs, a can of Hormel Chili, some shredded cheese and a jar of pickled jalapeños. Tasted almost exactly like leaving a concert at 2am.
They still have it. There’s a 7-11 about two minutes from my house. Might have to try a chili cheese dog from them seeing as their hot dogs are decent

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Now there is a condiment that I don't hear of often. I'm not sure how it is made where you are from but here in Wisconsin my grandma used to make huge batches primarily with green tomatoes and lots of spices. I remember her batches were so big that they would grind the tomatoes into big tubs with the commercial meet grinder that they used for processing beef and pork on the farm. We always had at least a dozen pints of it on the canning shelves in the basement. Grandma had dozens. She hasn't made it in many years but I sure do remember how it tasted on a good grinded natural casing hotdog.
I made some not long ago. Green tomatoes were not found, so I tossed in some tomatillo and red tomatoes.

Top Bottom