What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

So comb vs scallop today

Scallop for sure sounds more like the comb and feels more like the comb than the straight if I was to say what its character is or which way it leans toward (comb vs straight) I think its because of the comb design of the timeless is nothing like the comb on my Yates ! Just so much smoother on the Timeless and unique so the comb really does stand out and I feel if I am going to go for that scallop or comb I might as well go all the way in and have more audio feedback and feel of the comb and when I want smooth might as well just put the straight on ?
Makes me wonder when someone mentioned they loved the dual comb I am kinda seen that at the flick of a wrist having both :) then I think the cost I might as well have one of each but then again the dual :)

I feel like the scallop vs the comb I might as well go for the comb and when I want smooth go all the way with the straight so I think I have to say the scallop might be out but will give it a few more shaves

Wow 🤩 I will definitely try Polsilver!
Thanks!
I’m so happy now that I found “the one” (or “the two” lol)...I can turn my attention to other things that can make my save experience even more enjoyable...like blades, soaps, bowls, etc. BTW, my new favorite soaps are Stirling (Sheep) and A&E (Kaizan)...crazy slick with wonderful post-shave conditioning!
Glad you’ve tried and like the Z0! Your comment about music is a great observation. Interesting you like the Astra - you sure like mild, that’s for sure. I’ve not used one in the Z0 but I’d suspect it would be too mild. Btw, I can’t use Nacets in any H&S. I’m partial to Persona reds - for easy and mild- and Bics - for more efficient. Now, as for soaps……….

I just had my first "perfect" shave - a DFS with ZERO feedback! This is the reason I joined this forum :)

It was with the Timeless Matte .68 SB and Astra blade. The soap was eleven DFS appropriately enough ;)

A couple of days ago I used the H&S Z074-Ti5 again. It was not nearly as smooth as the Timeless! Also, the sweet spot is smaller. It may be a tiny bit more efficient but at a significant loss in comfort. (I had a couple of small weepers plus some minor irritation and consequent feedback by Mr. Alum!) I'm afraid the Z0 and I are about to part ways 🤷‍♂️

My goal was to eventually narrow the field down to one or two razors. Today I feel like I took a significant step toward that goal:thumbup1:

I have a couple more razors (Edwin Jagger DE 89 and Muhle R89) to try. But, I can't imagine them beating the Timeless.

I also have my name on the waiting list for a couple of other Ti's (Karve and Yates) but for now, I think I will keep the Timeless and one of the Hensons.

P.S. LOTS of great soaps on the way! Can't wait. Experimenting with software is a lot more fun than with hardware! 😊

I just had my first "perfect" shave - a DFS with ZERO feedback! This is the reason I joined this forum :)

It was with the Timeless Matte .68 SB and Astra blade. The soap was eleven DFS appropriately enough ;)

A couple of days ago I used the H&S Z074-Ti5 again. It was not nearly as smooth as the Timeless! Also, the sweet spot is smaller. It may be a tiny bit more efficient but at a significant loss in comfort. (I had a couple of small weepers plus some minor irritation and consequent feedback by Mr. Alum!) I'm afraid the Z0 and I are about to part ways 🤷‍♂️

My goal was to eventually narrow the field down to one or two razors. Today I feel like I took a significant step toward that goal:thumbup1:

I have a couple more razors (Edwin Jagger DE 89 and Muhle R89) to try. But, I can't imagine them beating the Timeless.

I also have my name on the waiting list for a couple of other Ti's (Karve and Yates) but for now, I think I will keep the Timeless and one of the Hensons.

P.S. LOTS of great soaps on the way! Can't wait. Experimenting with software is a lot more fun than with hardware! 😊

I decided to give the Z074 a try since it was getting high accolades from several folks. Well, my first shave didn't wow me. The razor is probably the smoothest razor I've ever shaved with, but seems lacking in efficiency. Did 3 passes with lots of buffing and still had stubble remaining on my neck. I used a rapira sweedish super steel which works great in several of my favorite razors, but it's not that great in the Z. Switched out to an Astra SP on the next shave and did get better results. Still required lots of buffing. I could feel stubble about 5 hours after my shave. I get a good 10 hours from my best performers.

I will say that the quality and fit and finish are superb. H&S does a fantastic job with razors apparently. I'm wondering now if the P076 may be a better fit and worth a try. I'll give the Z074 another few shaves, but it looks like it may be going back as I have 3 or 4 razors that provide better results and cost much less.

I decided to give the Z074 a try since it was getting high accolades from several folks. Well, my first shave didn't wow me. The razor is probably the smoothest razor I've ever shaved with, but seems lacking in efficiency. Did 3 passes with lots of buffing and still had stubble remaining on my neck. I used a rapira sweedish super steel which works great in several of my favorite razors, but it's not that great in the Z. Switched out to an Astra SP on the next shave and did get better results. Still required lots of buffing. I could feel stubble about 5 hours after my shave. I get a good 10 hours from my best performers.

I will say that the quality and fit and finish are superb. H&S does a fantastic job with razors apparently. I'm wondering now if the P076 may be a better fit and worth a try. I'll give the Z074 another few shaves, but it looks like it may be going back as I have 3 or 4 razors that provide better results and cost much less.
Wow lol that’s the opposite of what I experienced...with the same end result!
The Astra blades are wonderful. Once I officially settle on a razor (or two), I’m going to experiment with other blades. But for now, I’m just going to stick with the Astra 👍🏻

timeless straight bar and the yates shaver since the scallops/comb on that :) and while I should have done the scallop to the scallop decided to do the straight in the Timeless as this was going to be a great daily shave what I am using comparison rather than a plate to plate style :)

did wilkinson sword blades today really liked them no issues on either razor no weepers no blood no irritation just great shaves
the timeless had way less grab/drag feel and more efficient feel when cutting and that is comfort to me

the yates is a great razor but the Timeless is nicer as it should be for almost 2-3x as much depending on options

timeless straight bar and the yates shaver since the scallops/comb on that :) and while I should have done the scallop to the scallop decided to do the straight in the Timeless as this was going to be a great daily shave what I am using comparison rather than a plate to plate style :)

did wilkinson sword blades today really liked them no issues on either razor no weepers no blood no irritation just great shaves
the timeless had way less grab/drag feel and more efficient feel when cutting and that is comfort to me

the yates is a great razor but the Timeless is nicer as it should be for almost 2-3x as much depending on options
Just ordered 100 Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades from India 🇮🇳 for $9!
(Kensurfs favorites!)
Good to hear about the Timeless Ti being more comfortable than the Yates SS. You’re right...at twice the cost, it should be noticeably better. That’s why I’m returning the H&S...because at $400 it should be more comfortable than the Timeless and it’s not!
I’m going to wait till Yates comes out with their Ti. I think that will be a better comparison with the Timeless Ti and the Henson Ti! 😉

Just ordered 100 Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades from India 🇮🇳 for $9!
(Kensurfs favorites!)
Good to hear about the Timeless Ti being more comfortable than the Yates SS. You’re right...at twice the cost, it should be noticeably better. That’s why I’m returning the H&S...because at $400 it should be more comfortable than the Timeless and it’s not!
I’m going to wait till Yates comes out with their Ti. I think that will be a better comparison with the Timeless Ti and the Henson Ti! 😉

Make sure to try German Wilkinson blades as well. Both are good blades but I find the Germans shave a bit better.

Last edited:
Make sure to try German Wilkinson blades as well. Both are good blades but I find the Germans shave a bit better.
I heard that the German 🇩🇪 Wilkinsons are more efficient than (but not as comfortable as) the Indian 🇮🇳

Since I’m a Comfort-Meister, I will probably pass on Herr Wilkinson in favor of Sir Wilkinson! But, thanks anyway!

Cheers!

so did a over the top shave today :) all 3 plates on the Timeless
one side Comb one side scallop both 3 passes to get to a %80 BBS and then the final %20 cleanup with the straight

again I love the scallop BUT its not for me :)
the comb is more efficient and really just as comfy

I had more irritation with the scallop getting to the same place as the comb basically
it does fit in between the two so I would say try it as we know this is all personal :)

todays final touch up pass makes me once again think the dual comb could be the ultimate setup :)
problem of the dual is the other side of my brain thinks just change plates have both plates but then part of me thinks being able to just flip to the comb for the neck when I want to get that even cut down and flip back

I was seeing that thread last night with the super close up of the two wilkinson blades :) have to double check what mine are ? as I did not realize two existed :)

Cella soap :) love the scent BUT I find it not quite as slick as the others ? more play time finding the correct ratio maybe ? but then I think I get the other ones with no real issues so sad :(
nivea balm (sensitive)
Fine Platijum AS
really liking the nivea balms in a tiny amount and then a bit of AS might be my go to and just find which balm I prefer now (have 3 so far)

Last edited:
M

mtcn77

The razor is probably the smoothest razor I've ever shaved with, but seems lacking in efficiency.
I don't think there are two ways about it – a razor either sings, or shaves well.
There is a point of diminishing returns with razors. I get it with "the Yaqi Agamemnon"; eventhough it is more aggressive than Merkur 37C, it doesn't drive all that automatically leaving behind patches of stubble. Sure, it is easier if you don't mind some razor rash which it can culminate. Merkur 37C, on the other hand, will nick you real hard.

I have recently acquired a Henson AL-13 mild/ladies version & I am 3 shaves in with it. I am finding it to be quite "tuggy" in use & not all that smooth. I have so far tried the 1/4 turn trick; thinner lather & swapping the Astra for a Feather blade. The way it shaves reminds me of my brass Hone 15, which also comes nowhere near to my top 5 razors in terms of smoothness, but is a razor that I very much wish worked for me.

I thought I had better follow up my previous post re the Henson. After my first three shaves, my skin was somewhat irritated, so I reverted back to my trusty AS-D2 for three recovery shaves, before attempting to shave with the Henson again. The fourth shave with the Henson was much better, though I didn't consciously change anything, using a fresh Astra SP & still loosening the head by a quarter turn. Each subsequent shave with the Henson has been good to excellent.

I just had shave number 15 with the Henson & it was the most comfortable & one of the closest shaves I have ever had. The closer shaves in the past with other razors (Muhle R41 (2013) & Ikon SB) have always left my face a bit tender, but after the shave today, as is always the case now with the Henson, there was zero AS sting.

I have experimented with Feather blades & slackening the razor head by both a quarter & a half turn, but find it works best for me with an Astra blade & fully tightened. I have used different soaps with the Henson & this seems to have more of an affect on shave quality than either blade choice, or loosening the head. Now it is warmer in the UK, I have swapped to Proraso green (tub) which gives a really close shave with the Henson. Top tip from me for Summer shaving - run the head of the Henson under the cold tap/faucet for 30 seconds before shaving, it gives a very refreshing shave. The aluminium retains temperature much better that steel.

In the past weeks, I have done a couple of "control shaves" with my Game Changer 0.68, which was previously my top mild, but efficient razor, just to make sure I wasn't getting carried away with my new toy. The GC matched the Henson in terms of smoothness in use, but the Henson provided a closer shave. I am really glad I chose the mild/ladies version of the AL-13 over the medium version, as if the head loosening I have experimented with is anything to go by, I think I would find the medium a bit harsh. Also, I don't think that the medium could shave me any closer, unless it removes my top layer of skin!

I thought I had better follow up my previous post re the Henson. After my first three shaves, my skin was somewhat irritated, so I reverted back to my trusty AS-D2 for three recovery shaves, before attempting to shave with the Henson again. The fourth shave with the Henson was much better, though I didn't consciously change anything, using a fresh Astra SP & still loosening the head by a quarter turn. Each subsequent shave with the Henson has been good to excellent.

I just had shave number 15 with the Henson & it was the most comfortable & one of the closest shaves I have ever had. The closer shaves in the past with other razors (Muhle R41 (2013) & Ikon SB) have always left my face a bit tender, but after the shave today, as is always the case now with the Henson, there was zero AS sting.

I have experimented with Feather blades & slackening the razor head by both a quarter & a half turn, but find it works best for me with an Astra blade & fully tightened. I have used different soaps with the Henson & this seems to have more of an affect on shave quality than either blade choice, or loosening the head. Now it is warmer in the UK, I have swapped to Proraso green (tub) which gives a really close shave with the Henson. Top tip from me for Summer shaving - run the head of the Henson under the cold tap/faucet for 30 seconds before shaving, it gives a very refreshing shave. The aluminium retains temperature much better that steel.

In the past weeks, I have done a couple of "control shaves" with my Game Changer 0.68, which was previously my top mild, but efficient razor, just to make sure I wasn't getting carried away with my new toy. The GC matched the Henson in terms of smoothness in use, but the Henson provided a closer shave. I am really glad I chose the mild/ladies version of the AL-13 over the medium version, as if the head loosening I have experimented with is anything to go by, I think I would find the medium a bit harsh. Also, I don't think that the medium could shave me any closer, unless it removes my top layer of skin!

Nice....glad the Henson is proving to be an awesome shaver. I love my Ti22.

Some food for thought... if you had such an extreme swing in performance with a razor from one shave to the next, most likely it's not the razor. I'd imagine with you also now experimenting with new soaps, your lather was probably not as dialed in as it should be. It's your money and obviously do what you want, but returning or selling razors because of one "bad" shave is only going to lead you to continued frustration. It's probably hard to really give all your razors a solid chance when you have so many to try and go through, but the more variables you start switching up (blades, soaps, brushes, etc) the less consistency you're going to get from one shave to the next.

DFS+ (so for me what I plan on doing daily) :) Timeless straight vs the comb side by side :)
shark super chrome
Fine platinum soap ;) do like this in scent and performance
AS splash was good ol Old Spice :) did feel a touch here and there but went away quickly and 10 sec no more feel of it
balm the max hydration Nivea (never got to try the old scent some do not like the new scent I am OK with it)

its tough both are so good think of it as you are eating a pizza and one slice has a bit more toppings you like so its not that its better since its the same pizza then when you are done its like someone asking you which slice was best and you say the one with the extra toppings :) but the pizza as a whole was awesome and all the same was just a few bites here and there that made one slice of it better
strange analogy but really its that here and there the straight is nicer and here and there the comb is nicer so will just have to keep pitting these two against each other a bit and try to notice more which one performs better in certain areas if that is the case even or its just in general :)

tomorrow I do think I am going to put up the henson mild against the straight for fun :)

Some food for thought... if you had such an extreme swing in performance with a razor from one shave to the next, most likely it's not the razor. I'd imagine with you also now experimenting with new soaps, your lather was probably not as dialed in as it should be. It's your money and obviously do what you want, but returning or selling razors because of one "bad" shave is only going to lead you to continued frustration. It's probably hard to really give all your razors a solid chance when you have so many to try and go through, but the more variables you start switching up (blades, soaps, brushes, etc) the less consistency you're going to get from one shave to the next.
I agree! An underhydrated soap can drastically change how your razor functions! It can make the razor feel like it's dragging a lot. Can ruin the razors smoothness

I agree! An underhydrated soap can drastically change how your razor functions! It can make the razor feel like it's dragging a lot. Can ruin the razors smoothness

Likewise with over-hydrated lather, it won't provide the same level of protection even if it seems slick and "good enough". Sometimes this is the case if you add too much water too quickly.

OK...let the fun come to a conclusion! 🪒 :a30:🪒

Single Elimination Tournament....

Introducing the Competitors:

Rockwell :) 🇨🇦
6C

$50
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 6)

Tatara 😘🇵🇹
Masamune

$200
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 8)

Above The Tie :thumbup: 🇺🇸
Windsor SSM-1

(Comfort 9, Efficiency 9)
$185

Feather 😊 🇯🇵
AS-D2

$175
(Comfort 7, Efficiency 8)

Karve :) 🇨🇦
CB

$90
(Comfort 7.5, Efficiency 8.5)

Timeless🇺🇸 Ti Polished :thumbup:
$300
(Comfort 9, Efficiency 9)

Timeless 🇺🇸 Ti .68 Smooth Matte :badger:
$250
(Comfort 10, Efficiency 9.9)

Timeless🇺🇸 AL :thumbdown
$75
(Comfort 0, Efficiency N/A) Disqualified!

RazoRock 🇨🇦 Mamba .53 😃

$65
(Comfort 9, Efficiency 8)

RazoRock 🇨🇦 BBS 😐
$70
(Comfort 7, Efficiency 8)

RazoRock 🇨🇦 GameChanger .68 :a14:
$65
(Comfort 9.5, Efficiency 9)

RazoRock 🇨🇦 Lupo .72 🐺
$70
(Comfort 4 😿, Efficiency 8)

Henson 🇨🇦 AL13-Mild :a14:
$70
(Comfort 9.5, Efficiency 9)

Henson 🇨🇦 AL13-Medium :a14:
$70
(Comfort 9.5, Efficiency 9.5)

Henson 🇨🇦 Ti22-Mild :badger:
$250
(Comfort 9.9, Efficiency 9.75)

Henson 🇨🇦 Ti22-Medium :a14:
$250
(Comfort 9.75, Efficiency 9.75)

Henson 🇨🇦 Ti22-Aggressive 🤔
$250
(Comfort 8, Efficiency 9.8)

Giesen and Forsthoff 🇩🇪 Timor ☹1353
$40
(Comfort 4, Efficiency 5)

Baili 176 🇨🇳 :rolleyes:
$13.02
(Comfort 5, Efficiency 5)

Carbon CX-Ti .68 R2 🇺🇸 :thumbup:
$358
(Comfort 8, Efficiency 9.5)

Fatip Testina Gentile 🇮🇹 🤔
$30
(Comfort 9...but Handle/Balance= 👎 , Efficiency 8)

Blackbird Ti 🇺🇸 😲🗡
$300
(Comfort 4, Efficiency 10)

King C. Gillette 🇨🇳 :a14:
$23
(Comfort 8, Efficiency 9)

Haircut & Shave Co. 🇺🇲 :)
Z074 Ti-5

$400
(Comfort 8, Efficiency 9.8)

Edwin Jagger 🇬🇧 :)
DE89

$40
(Comfort 8, Efficiency 8)

Mühle 🇩🇪 🤨
R89
$45
(Comfort 6, Efficiency 7)

OK, I tried my last two New razors today, the Edwin Jagger DE89 🇬🇧 and the Mühle R89 🇩🇪. The EJ was better in terms of both comfort and efficiency...but neither came close to the Timeless Ti in either category.

Also, I recently tried the King C. Gillette 🇨🇳 side-by-side with the Timeless 🇺🇲 . The King was not nearly as smooth as the first time...no cuts but some irritation...whereas the Timeless again performed flawlessly, especially in terms of comfort!

Plus, a second shave with the H&S proved to be much less comfortable than the first time...with a couple of weepers 😢 and some irritation. This could be "user error" but I don't think so. Even if it was, I need a razor that's more forgiving.

What I love so much about the Timeless and Henson razors is that THEY NEVER CAUSE ME IRRITATION NO MATTER WHAT!!

So, the new Top 3:

1 Timeless 🇺🇸 Ti .68 Smooth Matte
2 Henson 🇨🇦 Ti22-Mild
3 Henson 🇨🇦 Ti22-Medium

Honorable Mention: Tatara Masamune 🇵🇹

That very well could be...but I never had a bad shave with the Timeless Ti or any of the Hensons...no matter how poorly I prep, what soap I'm using, etc. I find them more "user-friendly" 😊

Top Bottom