What's new

Shaving and Tobacco scents

Tue 9th SOTD
Soap Stirling Haverford
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Razor Karve Brass SB-D
Blade KAI 3rd
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + PAA Cavendish
Excellent soap qualities. Thickly creamy and slick with a super aromatic scent!! Love this soap!
Shave with razor paired with the blade was really nice. Smooth and comfortable for 3passes without any issues for a mostly bbs result. The aftershave is excellent and matched well with the soap. Very enjoyable shave session. Rating 10/10!
I am still enjoying the aromatic pipe tobacco scent 5 hours later...
View attachment 1234159
Since you are using both: what is the difference (scent-wise) between Haverford and Cavendish?

I only know Haverford (love it) and Spitfire (not my cup of coffee, too dark/dirty and leathery for my liking)... so I wonder if Cavendish would be right up my alley?

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for asking...my numbers 1 and 2 are...
  1. PAA Cavendish (due to having the matching splash)
  2. Stirling Haverford
  3. Used to be P&B Spitfire...hahaha

Thank you.
Is that based on scent alone, or scent and soap base performance?

Like @JAHE above, I really enjoy Stirling Haverford, and have been wondering if I should also get PAA Cavendish, ie if the scent is different enough to justify it...

Since you are using both: what is the difference (scent-wise) between Haverford and Cavendish?

I only know Haverford (love it) and Spitfire (not my cup of coffee, too dark/dirty and leathery for my liking)... so I wonder if Cavendish would be right up my alley?
Hi and thanks for asking...
I find Stirling Haverford to be quite similar to Cavendish. I dare say if you love Haverford, you will love Cavendish, well that's me.
That's why Cavendish is my number 1 (due to having the matching splash) and Haverford is 2 for tobacco soaps. Both scent strength is good too and able to fill-up the bathroom type which I like very much.
PAA Cavendish remains number 1 among all my soaps...and it's not even CK6 😀

Barrister and man the full measure of man.
Reminds me of amphora pipe tobacco very sweet scent no smoke for some it is more like pancakes drowned in syrup smoking a pipe...

Asb is a lot stronger than the soap.

Attachments

• 5CEF3DCA-AAF5-48D5-B225-82A1A72158C5.jpeg
    5CEF3DCA-AAF5-48D5-B225-82A1A72158C5.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 084B9EE4-05F5-4345-B19E-BF35AE45DC8B.jpeg
    084B9EE4-05F5-4345-B19E-BF35AE45DC8B.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 5
Is that based on scent alone, or scent and soap base performance?
The reason Cavendish is my number 1 is the combination of 1st Scent 2nd Rich creamy lather 3rd Slickness. The scent is primary for me...even though I don't like it I can get used to it like Tabac & TOBS (tomorrow will be B&M TFMOM 😆).
In terms of slickness, I have other soaps or creams slicker but the scent is not up to par...hahaha.
My Cavendish is not even CK6 base so if you can get that maybe it'll be slicker.

Hi and thanks for asking...
I find Stirling Haverford to be quite similar to Cavendish. I dare say if you love Haverford, you will love Cavendish, well that's me.
That's why Cavendish is my number 1 (due to having the matching splash) and Haverford is 2 for tobacco soaps. Both scent strength is good too and able to fill-up the bathroom type which I like very much.
PAA Cavendish remains number 1 among all my soaps...and it's not even CK6 😀

Thank you for your reply, very appreciated! Your opinion is very helpful for me...!

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Sun 14th Tobacco SOTD
Soap
B&M The Full Measure of Man - New 1st Use.
Brush
Yaqi 26mm Moka Express 2 Band Badger
Razor Gillette New SC
Blade Gillette London Bridge 4th use
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + B&M The Full Measure of Man Balm
Much anticipated soap. Received it a few days ago and the initial sniff from the tub was quite a mild scent and unique...very unique...is it cigar, is it tobacco, something else?...hmmm. Today during the lathering, the scent was stronger but I would say only up to mild. I am liking the scent as time goes by...hahaha. Sorta sweet, leathery cigarish...
Took a while before it becomes nicely creamy...have to add in quite some water. The slickness is really good. Overall, I am liking this soap and "may" fall in love later...this is definitely not a love-at-first smell...😅
Shave with razor paired with the blade was a perfect combination! Crisply smooth and comfortable for 3passes even during the atg pass on the chin & lips area without any issues for a mostly BBS finish.
The balm scent is definitely much stronger and I quite like it. Sweet but masculine, leathery, and cigarish. Even my wife says so and my neighbor (don't know anything about shaving soap) says the same. Initially abit sticky on the face but it was alright after 10mins. Nice, soft, and moist feel and I am in the tropics with outside temperature 32C. I went out in the sun and to lunch at a restaurant and it feels great. The aromatic cigarish scent remains 4-5hours later...nice!!
20210314_122906.jpg

Could anyone suggest a soap (and matching A/S) that smells like fresh tobacco / unlit cigar?

No vanilla, no fruits, no smoke, just pure fresh tobacco leaves scent.

I think what you're looking for is Wet Shaving Product's Tobacco. It's not smokey/lit cigary at all. Fresh green tobacco leaves. It's the only tobacco scent I've ever used, so I can't compare it to any other in the genre, but it's also the only soap I've purchased twice, if that gives any indication of how much I like it. Wife likes it. The soap/ASP also go great with Rogue Perfumery's Tabac Vert EdT if you're looking for a match.

Very nice....I can almost smell it from over here. Unfortunately, not many vendors have stock for this...in fact non that I have searched...WCS the only vendor carrying this and sold out for a while now...
Ya pretty sure I got it from WCS. I think you’d really enjoy this one but it’s definitely along the same vein as PAA’s Cavendish, so you’re not missing out on too much. The main plus for me is that the scent is more intense which I like. I remember it being around $12 too so it was a real bargain as well.

Last edited:
Wed 17th SOTD
Soap Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor Yaqi AC Aluminum
Blade Feather ProGuard 8th
Nice lather from the soap. The scent is lovely & aromatic but just abit below mild and remains consistent throughout the shave. The lather was really slick too...
Shave with fav razor paired with the well-used blade was just too silky smooth and comfortable for 3passes and finally gets a weeper for being greedy...over shaved the adam apple area. In general, mostly bbs but this time can feel are some leftovers. Perhaps it's time-up for the blade?? Will continue for another few shaves to see. The Cavendish AS is absolutely a chart-topper for me...so good, lasting too... Rating 9.5/10
20210317_130631.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Wed 17th SOTD
Soap Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor Yaqi AC Aluminum
Blade Feather ProGuard 8th
Nice lather from the soap. The scent is lovely & aromatic but just abit below mild and remains consistent throughout the shave. The lather was really slick too...
Shave with fav razor paired with the well-used blade was just too silky smooth and comfortable for 3passes and finally gets a weeper for being greedy...over shaved the adam apple area. In general, mostly bbs but this time can feel are some leftovers. Perhaps it's time-up for the blade?? Will continue for another few shaves to see. The Cavendish AS is absolutely a chart-topper for me...so good, lasting too... Rating 9.5/10
View attachment 1237668
The Cavendish has me interested....

Ya pretty sure I got it from WCS. I think you’d really enjoy this one but it’s definitely along the same vein as PAA’s Cavendish, so you’re not missing out on too much. The main plus for me is that the scent is more intense which I like. I remember it being around $12 too so it was a real bargain as well.
Sounds like a winner for me and yeah I saw the price is very good too. Unfortunately, all sold out...and nowhere to be found 😅

The Cavendish has me interested....
My undisputed number 1 soap and aftershave...among many.
It's sooooo aromatic and can easily fill-up the bathroom with the scent. The lather performance is very good too. Used in combination...super-duper wow!
One of the reasons the combination is my undisputed number 1 is I know I may not have a chance to restock again especially the aftershaves. I am unable to get PAA soaps directly from the US without paying outrageous shipping and it will have to be from UK/EU and definitely no way to ship the aftershaves at all. As such, the AS is as precious as unobtanium youth nectar... 😆😆

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My undisputed number 1 soap and aftershave...among many.
It's sooooo aromatic and can easily fill-up the bathroom with the scent. The lather performance is very good too. Used in combination...super-duper wow!
One of the reasons the combination is my undisputed number 1 is I know I may not have a chance to restock again especially the aftershaves. I am unable to get PAA soaps directly from the US without paying outrageous shipping and it will have to be from UK/EU and definitely no way to ship the aftershaves at all. As such, the AS is as precious as unobtanium youth nectar... 😆😆
That is sad.

Especially since I am in the States and have no excuse not to try the aftershave!

Thu 18th Tobacco SOTD
Soap
B&M The Full Measure of Man
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor Karve Brass SB-D
Blade JAWS Platinum 1st
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + B&M TFMoM Balm
I am getting used to the scent now. Liking it better...smelling sweet and aromatic tobacco/cigar leaves. Lather quality is very good...creamy and slick.
Shave with razor paired with the blade was good. Nicely smooth and comfortable with 3passes for mostly bbs to dfs results with 2 micro weepers. The AS balm clinched the deal...really lasting scent and good moisturizing feel for many hours. Rating 9.5/10
20210318_070648.jpg

Top Bottom