What's new

Shoe Shining Disorder. What Have I Done!

not picking but I have never known a man with that many pairs of shoes. I know some of those basket ball players etc do. Shine shoes I have one pair that can be shined my Cowboy boots, are this nice black have some cat nail marks from when I put mink oil on them lol

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
not picking but I have never known a man with that many pairs of shoes. I know some of those basket ball players etc do. Shine shoes I have one pair that can be shined my Cowboy boots, are this nice black have some cat nail marks from when I put mink oil on them lol

Why would I think you’re “picking”?

You’re posting on a website where some members own 100+ shaving brushes 😀.

Btw, I can assure you that every pair of shoes pictured here is necessary. :whistling:

Last edited:
some people take things personally, I do wish I knew how to do a proper polish though my boots do look pretty good considering the cat went crazy like the mink oil were catnip. It was both entertaining and upsetting at the same time. I just decided that from that point on my boots were to be treated out in the shop until the odor was not so strong.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Feeding it... 😀
693F11B0-7900-4FA8-A9BB-F41E3FA1CFB1.jpeg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Another country heard from...

4BB1EE95-CF20-442C-BE37-886E369C47B9.jpeg
FBB4009E-75FD-422E-B3DC-06E25BE85DE2.jpeg

I’m gonna have to think about this one. Unlike the US lace keepers on the IRs pictured in the previous post, these Great Britain lace keepers on the Dr. Martens, to my eye, dominant over the boot wherein the IR is a more substantial boot and can handle the US lace keepers.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
After messsing around with those lace keepers on the Dr. Martens, I noticed they were looking a little tired. I also watched some vids about caring for crazy horse leather like this pair of their 939 Ben boots.

So I placed an order for their own branded Wonder Balsam as well as their Dubbin. I also ordered some new laces to give them a bit of a facelift.

These pics are after being brushed and then wiped down with a damp cloth (several times).

They will get the remaining treatment when those items arrive in about a week.

65ECFD30-2230-4202-8D69-026E3F1AD9EB.jpeg

CB0A68B0-2B16-4E1E-8F3A-3F6DFEFF0251.jpeg
0F8538F7-08EA-4F90-A0BC-AC7AE709DB98.jpeg

D9370852-0E1A-4677-A2F0-653C7ACF662F.jpeg

4BD5CE62-3720-4F6C-B3C9-D93C91D7ECD4.jpeg
553E0216-7E05-4E90-88B2-3EBA11D71FB6.jpeg

My recollection of dubbin on rugby boots when I was forced to play contact sports at school was that it gives a very flat, matt finish with decent water resistance. I think it’s basically lard or possibly tallow.interested to see the results.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
My recollection of dubbin on rugby boots when I was forced to play contact sports at school was that it gives a very flat, matt finish with decent water resistance. I think it’s basically lard or possibly tallow.interested to see the results.

This video shows from Dr. Martens shows the results after using Dubbin.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
These shoes have been bothering me since (at least) 2013.
3D3EA5CC-4E38-4B99-8B1A-00C8DA950364.jpeg

The captoe on the (right) left shoe appeared to be smudged with a darker pigment than the right shoe. I’m guessing I may have tested a color many moons ago and realized it was too dark.

Also, the finish on that captoe didn’t seem as smooth as the right one and I couldn’t obtain (at least as easily) a mirror shine on that captoe.

EF2359E4-AFEE-401D-92F3-F85CF813EEB5.jpeg

FC444B42-AAC0-485F-9579-377DF56E3EAC.jpeg

Finally, I said what the heck. I was willing to forego these shoes in the name of a science. I took off the wax using both acetone and Renomat. I sanded the finish off of each captoe. Then, I conditioned the leather with Renovateur. Afterwards, I decided to darken both captoes to get a two-tone effect and applied a darker Saphir wax cream and then built up the shine on the captoe with Mirror Gloss wax.

And voilá:

I screwed these shoes up. :lol:

3E87D564-9D51-4154-B96B-458E0E10B34A.jpeg

The color is too dark and blotchy and it should have faded more towards vamp.

811382D1-9046-40BA-9A58-AFC6E0E7D8A3.jpeg
BE304EB3-9917-44E8-B25C-2A82DE1C22D1.jpeg
140E55FA-FA9B-487D-B408-9622757833D1.jpeg
[
EA9E0899-76FA-4953-B2AB-BCD4DE29FFDC.jpeg

E3F1AAC7-7745-46F0-BE68-C4E46223D635.jpeg

95063A92-AF41-4645-B5D9-69EDBCE74F5C.jpeg

They probably look ok if you’re at a distance. Say NY to NJ. :biggrin:

Oh well.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Wonder Balsam (and new laces) arrived today and was applied to the 939s. The Dubbin will arrive next week which is fine. That will give plenty of time for the Wonder Balsam to dry.

96C75A16-C643-4280-9711-EBC4065F27B6.jpeg
FEB0B6D3-472E-4696-93E5-92FC78C9D74D.jpeg
A14D4FDB-13C5-4564-8C1C-C48871137EDB.jpeg
E35F58EB-B614-4D7C-BCE5-0FFE348B10BB.jpeg
5FE43917-3274-4B9E-95E1-8E04554C08E3.jpeg
F799CE0A-391C-418D-9D41-5F29AF949759.jpeg

A0FC4218-BE95-49A1-B939-1A96B17EC206.jpeg

A30EA9C9-FF31-4302-9614-3DDDF6D5948E.jpeg
BDABFF8C-1401-4276-B3E7-D444D513156F.jpeg

They will get the Dubbin treatment next week which, I think, will put a bit of a sheen on these boots.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
New laces make an old boot pop just a little bit.

Reading your earlier comment about the Union Jack pin overwhelming the shoe, I thought that bolder laces (as one often sees with Doc Martens) would help that ... seems you thought the same.

Looks good.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Reading your earlier comment about the Union Jack pin overwhelming the shoe, I thought that bolder laces (as one often sees with Doc Martens) would help that ... seems you thought the same.

Looks good.

I think that’s right. The new laces definitely evened it out to my eye.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Why would I think you’re “picking”?

You’re posting on a website where some members own 100+ shaving brushes 😀.

Btw, I can assure you that every pair of shoes pictured here is necessary. :whistling:

FWIW I see @johnniegold as a kindred soul in regards to shoes. I'm a shoe fanatic. It started 30 years ago when as a high schooler I worked part time at Kinney Shoes (anybody remember that store?) in the local mall, then I worked as a sales clerk at a local Athletic Shoe & Apparel store all through my college years in the early 90s (Air Jordan launch day was like a National Holiday) and then even after college when I was a young graduate working in the office cubicle world (the television show "The Office" is so spot on...) I moonlighted in men's shoes at a department store.

I own, and have owned, a ridiculous number of shoes for an average joe. It has slowed down quite a bit as I've gotten into middle age, but I still love shoes. It's generally one of the first things I notice about people, what kind of shoes they're wearing.

I no longer play basketball, but I'm an avid runner (got a daily streak since last Feb 29th!) who goes through a pair of running shoes about every 6 months, so those old pairs really tend to collect down in the garage, but even not counting those, I've still got probably 35 or so different pairs of footwear in my rotation, and I've had countless more pairs over the years that I've passed on to my dear old Papa or the Goodwill store.

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
The Dr. Marten 939 Ben Boot (I’m guessing they are closing in on 30 years old) were liberally oiled and allowed to sit overnight and then we’re brushed off today.

This pair was made in England. That is the original insole. Almost pristine as I always had a removable insole in there. View attachment 1186213View attachment 1186214

Kudos on the Made in England Doc's. I have a Made in England Pair of brown oxfords that I've had since 1999 that are still going strong. I purchased 2 pairs of Made in England (oxblood & black) when I was in London in 2018. I also have two pairs of Solovair (made at the NPS factory, one brown, one black) which I like every bit as much. These 5 pair are my standard, Monday-Friday work shoes. IMHO these are the best shoes ever made.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
FWIW I see @johnniegold as a kindred soul in regards to shoes. I'm a shoe fanatic. It started 30 years ago when as a high schooler I worked part time at Kinney Shoes (anybody remember that store?) in the local mall, then I worked as a sales clerk at a local Athletic Shoe & Apparel store all through my college years in the early 90s (Air Jordan launch day was like a National Holiday) and then even after college when I was a young graduate working in the office cubicle world (the television show "The Office" is so spot on...) I moonlighted in men's shoes at a department store.

I own, and have owned, a ridiculous number of shoes for an average joe. It has slowed down quite a bit as I've gotten into middle age, but I still love shoes. It's generally one of the first things I notice about people, what kind of shoes they're wearing.

I no longer play basketball, but I'm an avid runner (got a daily streak since last Feb 29th!) who goes through a pair of running shoes about every 6 months, so those old pairs really tend to collect down in the garage, but even not counting those, I've still got probably 50-60 different pairs of footwear in my rotation, and I've had countless more pairs over the years that I've passed on to my dear old Papa or the Goodwill store.

Kinney Shoes was a few miles from my home growing up. As a kid, it was an annual trip at the end of the summer to “get your shoes for school”.
94076691-CEE2-4204-B553-E56F97488BD7.jpeg
0B6E1336-DE0E-4E10-A733-4F6B3A15DF6F.jpeg

Johnniegold (as a young boy): No Mom, I want the Adidas with 3-stripes not the Kinney ones with 4-stripes.

Mother Gold: Those cost too much and your brothers and sister have to get shoes too!

Thom McAn was in that rotation as well. 😀

8564FD3D-FFC6-47B8-93C3-6C1F6BA73CA5.jpeg

58E316C2-E42C-429A-B2DA-D4550C61AEFA.jpeg

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Kinney Shoes was a few miles from my home growing up. As a kid, it was an annual trip at the end of the summer to “get your shoes for school”.View attachment 1220836View attachment 1220837

Johnniegold (as a young boy): No Mom, I want the Adidas with 3-stripes not the Kinney ones with 4-stripes.

Mother Gold: Those cost too much and your brothers and sister have to get shoes too!

Thom McAn was in that rotation as well. 😀

View attachment 1220841
View attachment 1220842

I just ordered a pair of vintage Thom McAn cowboy boots off Poshmark! I'll post a pic when they come in (hopefully they'll fit, buying vintage clothing off Poshmark or eBay is always hit or miss)

If you'll indulge me I've got to share some memories from my high school job of working at Kinney. The popular thing among girls then was dyed prom shoes to match a dress. The lowest guy on the totem pole got most often got stuck with that dreadful job, and that was of course yours truly. I must have dyed 1000 pairs of shoes. You'd wear gloves but the dye would still get on your hands, and the only way to get it off was by washing in bleach.

The other thing I remember is that we had this pair of TV's connected to a VCR and every month the corporate office sent us a new VHS tape of top 40 video hits to play continuously. I remember "I'm too sexy" by Right Said Fred was in heavy rotation. So were Janet Jackson, Bobby Brown, Color Me Bad, and Bell Biv Devoe. When the boss went home and it was just me and the assistant manager closing I'd either turn it off or put in the 80's hits tape, which I remember had Adam Ant's "Goody Two Shoes" that I always would crank up.

This was also the days when the show Married with Children was popular, which I never watched, but got called "Al Bundy" by my friends ALL the time.

High school classmates of mine worked at every store there. It was the heyday of the indoor shopping mall and that one was considered a destination with several exclusive stores. Of course it is long gone now, shuttered and torn down.

I'm a big fan of the Netflix show Stranger Things and particularly enjoyed the most recent season which highlighted that cultural experience.

One last memory from there, the other part timer was a college guy who played football at the HBCU in town, and I remember he pledged to one of the fraternities and came in for work one afternoon after he'd gotten branded with a hot iron on both biceps and his pec, I think it was Omega Psi Phi aka the Que Dogs....

Last edited:
Top Bottom