What's new

So you talked me into it

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So I paid a visit to my favorite pipe B&M today. I walked in with $145 and the thought of a basket bent pipe and way too much tobacco. The tobaccos they carry is a whole ton of Sutliff, Mac Baron, and a few standards (Peterson Uni Flake, St. Bruno, Capstan, etc.). The pipes they sell run from Comoy, Brigham, Petes, Savs, a couple 4th Generation along with 2 grades of baskets. Anyone visiting Gettysburg, PA would be well served stopping in.

But my plan was the basket, buy them out of H&H Virginia Flake, and a pouch of something aromatic. A pipe and aros for work.

I walked out with a Comoy Tradition #87 (Zulu) shape and a single tin of Sutliff Eastfarthing. It was heavily recommended by a patron with a 10" grey and white beard smoking a Dunhill Oom Paul. What hell, an endorsement like that is worth the $14 benefit of the doubt.

I'm running a bowl of Bayou Morning through her now. It's a mistake. It's very windy and it's a struggle to keep it cool. But despite that, it smokes beautifully. Nice open draw, hangs nice and light, and looks pretty good in my jaw. View attachment 1191169
There's a smile in there, I promise.
That sounds like a really fine tobacco shop you have access to. I keep thinking about driving over to McCranies one day but can’t seem to get off my ***. I hate going into Charlotte.

It is a good one. The owners seem to know pipes, not just cigars. But you definitely pay a premium for that. A premium I for one am happy to pay, sometimes. The funny thing about that is it makes it easier to find Peterson, C&D, Mac Baron, and G.L. Pease than Carter Hall, Prince Albert, SWR, or Half and Half. A very nice problem to have.

Steve, I wouldn't make a special trip, but if you're going to be there anyways... I don't blame you for wanting to avoid cities. I spend as much time as possible avoiding them myself. Mrs. Rookie and I got a taste of rural living a while ago, and miss it more and more.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It is a good one. The owners seem to know pipes, not just cigars. But you definitely pay a premium for that. A premium I for one am happy to pay, sometimes. The funny thing about that is it makes it easier to find Peterson, C&D, Mac Baron, and G.L. Pease than Carter Hall, Prince Albert, SWR, or Half and Half. A very nice problem to have.

Steve, I wouldn't make a special trip, but if you're going to be there anyways... I don't blame you for wanting to avoid cities. I spend as much time as possible avoiding them myself. Mrs. Rookie and I got a taste of rural living a while ago, and miss it more and more.
We are planning to move to a more rural area soon. I’ll be happy when it is over so I can smoke in the house that’s for sure.

I've had a couple bowls of the Walnut Street Match. This one keeps me guessing. I'll admit I wasn't a fan of the first bowl. But each subsequent bowl has gotten better and better. I think I was expecting a light casing or dressing. But I can't pick out a thing except tobacco. Several tobaccos, all making themselves known without any one too in- your-face. It's pretty much what I expected an English blend to be. I feel this could be one that the more you smoke it, the more you'll pick up on.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've had a couple bowls of the Walnut Street Match. This one keeps me guessing. I'll admit I wasn't a fan of the first bowl. But each subsequent bowl has gotten better and better. I think I was expecting a light casing or dressing. But I can't pick out a thing except tobacco. Several tobaccos, all making themselves known without any one too in- your-face. It's pretty much what I expected an English blend to be. I feel this could be one that the more you smoke it, the more you'll pick up on.
All true and there is no topping. It is my go to blend for when I get an urge for English. It scratches that itch but without over-whelming Latakia. Seven varieties very well blended and balanced. Having smoked several tubs of the Middleton original, I find Sutliff Match Walnut to be an improvement. It doesn’t bite like the Middleton but, as far as I can tell, tastes the same. Jim Inks even gave it four stars. I don’t smoke it as often as in the past but I’ll always have it around.

Hmm. A vabur flake, you say? I can see that being handy, like at work.

So far my work blends have been either very lightly flavored VaBurs or outright aromatics. It turns out the boss' window is right above the smoking area. And since we've started adding warm apples, whiskey, maple, and vanilla scents floating up to him, he's been a lot better about us taking smoke breaks.

Plus those aromatics are good for helping me learn cadence, something I still struggle with. That fine line between smoking it slowly and having it go out. I'm still going a little bit fast, but not tongue burning hot ash fast. I'm better than I was, but not quite to that sipping stage. Most pipes will last me 30-45 minutes. Which is just fine, considering that's about all the time I can get and that I still gravity fill all my pipe.

And I think cigarettes are officially behind me now. Last Tuesday made a week since I've had one. And the only reason I thought about it was just now someone walked past smoking a cigarette. It's pretty cool that I started smoking a pipe to stop from smoking cigars, and those pipes got me off every other kind of tobacco.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hmm. A vabur flake, you say? I can see that being handy, like at work.

So far my work blends have been either very lightly flavored VaBurs or outright aromatics. It turns out the boss' window is right above the smoking area. And since we've started adding warm apples, whiskey, maple, and vanilla scents floating up to him, he's been a lot better about us taking smoke breaks.

Plus those aromatics are good for helping me learn cadence, something I still struggle with. That fine line between smoking it slowly and having it go out. I'm still going a little bit fast, but not tongue burning hot ash fast. I'm better than I was, but not quite to that sipping stage. Most pipes will last me 30-45 minutes. Which is just fine, considering that's about all the time I can get and that I still gravity fill all my pipe.

And I think cigarettes are officially behind me now. Last Tuesday made a week since I've had one. And the only reason I thought about it was just now someone walked past smoking a cigarette. It's pretty cool that I started smoking a pipe to stop from smoking cigars, and those pipes got me off every other kind of tobacco.
I’ve never found a better and more pleasant way to consume tobacco. There is just so much variety - something to please everyone. When a pipe is done, all that is left is a bit of ash and a smile.

HUZZAH !!!

I’ve never found a better and more pleasant way to consume tobacco. There is just so much variety - something to please everyone. When a pipe is done, all that is left is a bit of ash and a smile.
Very much so about the variety. I think the only thing I couldn't find (or otherwise acquire through the "old buddy" network) was tobacco for a non smoker. All surprisingly affordable. I've been wondering why pipes aren't as popular as cigars.

I've been wondering why pipes aren't as popular as cigars.
I think it is due to people thinking pipes are too much trouble and/or take too much time. Couple that with a poor initial experience with the first few bowls and smokers return to what is expedient. They may also consider pipes too expensive, if they don’t actually work out the costs of the options.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Very much so about the variety. I think the only thing I couldn't find (or otherwise acquire through the "old buddy" network) was tobacco for a non smoker. All surprisingly affordable. I've been wondering why pipes aren't as popular as cigars.
I would guess it has a lot to do with the simplicity of cigar smoking as opposed to the near constant fiddling with a pipe. There is also the fashion element I suppose. There was a huge growth in cigar smoking several years ago. I don’t remember what the cause was but they really took off. There were even some places that had cigar trucks going around like ice cream trucks. Some fellow out West started that. He often appeared on Stuart Varney’s show on Fox Business. Like
With most fads, only the true cigar lovers remain. Same thing happened with fly fishing after “A River Runs Through it” movie. Now we have true cigar lovers, pipe lovers and those that love both as it should be. My guess is that the pipers are the more pensive lot though.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
This . . . going forward my only cigar purchases will be Cuban. At source.
That’s exactly what I did. With no tax and no duty, they are cheaper than US tobacco sellers. I found a very good bundle brand (actually thin cardboard box) that were excellent and smoked them until I went back to pipes. For some reason I just got bored with cigars. Pipes are my true love.

I guess cigars are more social. Hand some out to your buddies, cut, light, and go on with your life. Easy to share, easy to light, easy to keep a couple on you.

While stationed in Germany, I had several Cuban cigars. They were great, I thought. Definitely worth keeping a box in the old humidor. But not as good as to warrant that near mythical status. That probably has something to do with the embargo. But I thought some Honduran and Dominican brands were just as good, if not better, considering the price.

As good as cigars are, and they can be, I still prefer tobacco through a briar. I wish more smokers would give pipes a try. I think a few would convert. Maybe I should consider keeping an entra cob with a ton of extra stems at work in case anyone does want to try.

There's one guy who liked the smell of Carter Hall enough to buy half a pouch off me to roll in his cigarettes. He likes rolling pipe tobacco and smoke them as cigarettes without inhaling. Well, pipe tobacco and "pipe tobacco" (Smokers Pride and the like). Maybe I'll go in with him on my next SP order.

Top Bottom