What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

PXL_20200828_141958143-01.jpeg

Taylor's Eye Witness
Arko stick (pucked)
Maggard's Black and White synthetic
Old Spice Classic

Simple. Effective. Classic. Doesn't get much better than that.

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Today’s shave was spectacular.

In my last post (if you read it), the Morley straight razor was needing a touch-up, as the blade was slowing down on my whisker passes.

Not uncomfortable at all, but just not “ice skate edge on ice” smooth.

Gave it a few passes on the 8k Naniwa, then polished nicely on the 12k Naniwa...and finished on the newly arrived (yesterday) Tony Miller “Old No.2” Horsehide and flax linen strop.

Edge was screaming sharp. And it stropped so much more smoothly than on the steer hide strop. I was pleasantly surprised.

As the razor approached my lathered-face beard stubble, I noticed a bunch of black specks appearing on my white sink counter.

What the...?!

The blade was so sharp, that the beard stubble was releasing at the follicle base, pushing through the face lather, and just jumping to their death on the white sink counter, instead of being atom-cut with the crazy sharp Morley blade. 😂

What a beautiful finishing job the strop did!

The strop arrived yesterday, accompanied by my new WCS Beacon “synthetic” brush.

This is my first synthetic brush, and it was a different experience. It was much softer, and it seemed to pick-up much less soap for the same amount of swirls in the soap jar. Maybe because it lacked the density, spine/backbone, and moisture-retention, than my Silvertip brush.

But it was kewl. A different shaving experience. I need more time with it to learn its specific “pro’s” and nuances.

I decided to pair everything with the A&E “Peach & Cognac” (Kaizen) lather and splash.

Great choice!! ❤

Love the fresh and elegant/complex scent. And their newest Kaizen soap formula rocks! (Super slick and with the best lather).

Overall, it was an incredible shave. From the ease of shaving the whiskers, the exceptional post-skin toning and feel, to the aftershave scent. (I skipped shaving the noggin today).

All the stars aligned, and everything fell into place.

Heck...I need to go purchase a lotto ticket. Ha ha ha. (Joking. I don’t gamble).

My Friday has already started incredibly well.

PS: Just spoke to Peter. I’m #4 on his Wolf Whiskers custom-brush list today (Friday). And he has received the Shavemac badger knot I sent him. 😁

Straight: WH Morley & Sons
Lather: A&E “Peach Cognac”
Balm: Soap Commander “Integrity” (Unscented”
Splash: A&E “Peach Cognac”
Brush: WCS Beacon (synthetic)
Bowl: Captains Choice (large)
Strop: Tony Miller “Old No.2” (horse hide and flax linen)

FD52706D-DA74-4729-8C42-114E9F63E11B.jpeg

E6795385-A8D0-4ED1-8180-364F42B1F726.jpeg

64B88B4D-220F-49D5-842C-85EBB25EBDCF.jpeg

Last edited:
Razor: Torrey , When it arrived it wouldn't shave a lick. Used lapping film 3um 25 x passes and same with 1um then 20 passes on plain linen and it shaves really nice now.
Brush: Semogue 1305 Boar
soap: DIY apple pie scent took more water than i expected, very thirsty soap but nice and slick
AS: Thayers Aloe / Cremo beard oil
20200828_120528.jpg
If anyone using lap film needs a piece of granite let me know. My granite guy has a mountain of drops at his yard.
This is back splash and sink cut outs 1 1/4 thick. I am cutting them down to 8 1/2" long x 4" wide because the lapping film is 6 x 9.
20200828_130349.jpg

Last edited:
Puma High Class 13/16
proxy.php
Antoine after having gone through your posts of the last week in this thread I once again get a little worried. You're totally sure that your main source of razors doesn't happen to be a dark charming man, that oddly enough, has slitted pupils and is wearing an edt that smells faintly of sulphur, now are you?

The last time I checked Loki wasn't into straight razors, but I can't answer for his older more dangerous relative.

Antoine after having gone through your posts of the last week in this thread I once again get a little worried. You're totally sure that your main source of razors doesn't happen to be a dark charming man, that oddly enough, has slitted pupils and is wearing an edt that smells faintly of sulphur, now are you?

The last time I checked Loki wasn't into straight razors, but I can't answer for his older more dangerous relative.
Of course ! Loki has Farbauti’s phone number !😂

Thank you for the compliment..

Interesting story about the soap and the bowl. Two group buys going on at the same time... Wickhams soap, and hand made bowls from a local UK pottery artisan. I had the potters duplicate the Wickham's logo for me, and they shipped the pots directly to Darron @ Wickhams for filling with Irish Fern, and Scottish Heather. Darron was then kind enough to forward them to me in the US.

Wow. That's an awesome collaboration between the artisan and Wickham. Irish fern is my first of there soaps but I'm sure it won't be my last.

J.P. Alcamisi, Schienectady,N.Y., made in Germsni, General Nobile, carbon steel 11/16.
proxy.php

Wow! Never thought I’d hear that city around here. I spent a couple years in Schenectady, NY back in the late 90s. That area has a rich history.

Top Bottom