What's new

Stupid question time

I found an old family (Grandfather’s or uncle’s) what I presume to be New LC (US made, three patents stamped) with some broken/missing parts. my google-fu is weak and I can’t figure out the thread pitch, allowing me to potentially shop for a new handle. And if anyone has a good source for finding original handles without having to buy a whole razor, I’d appreciate it. I’ve seen them with ball ends and what I suspect came with them as OEM, which I’d ideally prefer, aesthetically. Worse case, I pick up a new build handle.

I did dig up a no-name German travel 4 piece that does fit the threads (Fatip handle doesn’t) and it gave me a surprisingly good, smoothly efficient shave for my first time with it. And it fits the German travel case, which is nice. The traveler and a Fatip are the only DE’s I’ve kept.

this isn’t a high priority for me as I haven‘t shaved with DE’s in years, but I liked the shave well enough to consider it for an alternate, as well as the family connection.

thanks, and some pics (because we love pics, and someone could correct me if I’m wrong):

A5D1664A-FEAC-409F-B60E-18947E0EEE03.jpeg

A4F7BC45-1C4B-4C23-BD28-EA5EF2250F00.jpeg

F59421A3-7A13-492A-89B8-9211ADD4DA81.jpeg

I found an old family (Grandfather’s or uncle’s) what I presume to be New LC (US made, three patents stamped) with some broken/missing parts. my google-fu is weak and I can’t figure out the thread pitch, allowing me to potentially shop for a new handle. And if anyone has a good source for finding original handles without having to buy a whole razor, I’d appreciate it. I’ve seen them with ball ends and what I suspect came with them as OEM, which I’d ideally prefer, aesthetically. Worse case, I pick up a new build handle.

I did dig up a no-name German travel 4 piece that does fit the threads (Fatip handle doesn’t) and it gave me a surprisingly good, smoothly efficient shave for my first time with it. And it fits the German travel case, which is nice. The traveler and a Fatip are the only DE’s I’ve kept.

this isn’t a high priority for me as I haven‘t shaved with DE’s in years, but I liked the shave well enough to consider it for an alternate, as well as the family connection.

thanks, and some pics (because we love pics, and someone could correct me if I’m wrong):

View attachment 1144260

View attachment 1144262

View attachment 1144263
Can't speak for others, but this isn't a stupid question at all to me. This is a Gillette NEW Short Comb from the look of it and uses the standard thread diameter of SAE 10-32. A metric M5x0.8 should also work and is what most modern handles typically will use. Fatip is the exception to that. If you would like to restore it, you'll need the ball end. PM me and I can point you to a certain vendor on the auction site who seems to have parts for DE razors available at times. Here is a link to a B&B tutorial on how to restore these handles: Tutorial: Repair cracked handles/shafts in Gillette Old Types etc. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/tutorial-repair-cracked-handles-shafts-in-gillette-old-types-etc.406419/#:~:text=Use%20the%20Spring%20Clamp%20end,a%20while%20for%20additional%20oozing.

Full disclosure: I haven't fixed any razor handles. If you want to keep the razor original for nostalgia purposes, I'd recommend buying a few cheap Gillette razors on the bay with handle cracks so you can practice fixing them before you work on the important one to you. This also would get you the parts you need to fix up your razor. There are several online vendors that sell standard thread handles that fit on vintage Gillettes. If you use a non-brass handle with it, a vinyl o ring can keep the baseplate protected from damage.

Hope some of that is helpful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That IS SO KOOL!

I've got my great grandpa's straight, but I think it's too far gone to be used.

Definitely try to fix that handle my friend, well worth it to your heart!

Also, any vintage Gillette handle for a three piece should work, even Tech handles. They will fit better than a metric handle. The Short Comb might be my favorite shaver of the Gillette 3 pc OCs.

I often see old Gillettes in vintage stores for $10, some with undamaged handles.

The New SC head was more likely originally attached to a common bar handle than a ball end.

One possibility is that your relative liked his Old Type head, but the handle split. He might have grabbed the common bar handle from a New SC and used it with the OT head.

Then the busted ball end handle and the SC head go into the drawer. I think you've got the better head, but your relative's mileage may have varied.

Great idea. I'm almost afraid to find out though!

Here I am enabling yet another thread hijack. Do it! Dave, you know you have the literary skills to do justice to the ensuing bloodbath/lockjaw/whatever. That brush, your face, or your throat? We'll all be making book on which goes first.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
We could start a couple of pools:
One on the date you file for bankruptcy, and one on the date you go to the undertaker.

:em3400:
That would be cool!

My wife doesn't like my idea of selling tickets to my funeral, though my son thinks it's a great idea!

She says I'll be dead and will have no say in the matter.

I then came up with the idea of having one before I die. Sell 50/50 tickets, cash bar, bounce house, maybe a petting zoo.

SHE thinks it's in poor taste.

I'd do my own eulogy.

She is SUCH a killjoy!

Top Bottom