What's new

Bye, Bye P320??

No one on this forum has indicated they’ve had a P320 discharge in such a manner, the thread is merely opening the very well known issue up for discussion. The P320 release was bungled and sig had to issue a recall due to reports of them drop firing. Apparently whatever they did to fix the drop firing is a case of the cure being worse than the illness, as now they apparently go off while in the holster! BTW tons of online forums, including thefiringline and thehighroad, have had a number of threads discussing this during the drop fire issue and recall.

I read other forums and I have not seen anyone on any of those forums report that one of their P320's went off without the trigger being pulled. Generally, every time you read about an AD by a cop, they swear up and down that they never touched the trigger, but most pistols don't simply go off by themselves. Therefore, I am taking with a grain of salt what is alleged in the lawsuit. I love cops, but given the potential loss of job or at least face, I understand why they never seem to call an AD what it typically is - an ND.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Has there been any reported issues with the P365? I would assume the firing mechanism would be similar, but maybe its not.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I read other forums and I have not seen anyone on any of those forums report that one of their P320's went off without the trigger being pulled. Generally, every time you read about an AD by a cop, they swear up and down that they never touched the trigger, but most pistols don't simply go off by themselves. Therefore, I am taking with a grain of salt what is alleged in the lawsuit. I love cops, but given the potential loss of job or at least face, I understand why they never seem to call an AD what it typically is - an ND.

I hear ya, and what you suggest makes a lot of sense. I even know, many years ago, of a long time senior officer from another Dept. accidentally shoot himself in the leg on a ND while cleaning his pistol.

He was so embarrassed that he didn’t call EMS and instead tried to stop the bleeding himself. His wife found him dead when she got home.

However, the video of the officer in the school lunchroom? I find it hard to believe, that a School Resource Officer, would be screwing around with his duty weapon while in a Cafeteria full of students? I dunno.

Has there been any reported issues with the P365? I would assume the firing mechanism would be similar, but maybe its not.

The P365 is a bit different. The only issue reported with them is firing pins breaking occasionally around the 200-300 round mark in the very first release. That was quickly fixed and the P365 is pretty well regarded now.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
The P365 is a bit different. The only issue reported with them is firing pins breaking occasionally around the 200-300 round mark in the very first release. That was quickly fixed and the P365 is pretty well regarded now.

Cool-I will stick with my Glocks for striker fire, but i was curious as a friend loves his.

OkieStubble

Cool-I will stick with my Glocks for striker fire, but i was curious as a friend loves his.

Is it just me, or is the Glock the only striker fired I would be confident carrying brand new straight from the box? I’m just saying, if I had to pick one semi striker fired pistol without first testing for reliability with all kinds of ammo?

It would be Glock. :)

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Is it just me, or is the Glock the only striker fired I would be confident carrying brand new straight from the box?...

By God, it’s just you! 😜
I have confidence in my HK VP9, VP40 & Steyr L40-A1 pistols ... and beyond total confidence in P7-series pistols, which can still be found brand new (in) the box.

“The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated”

1595526618008.jpeg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

The post-revision 365s have been rock solid. They still exhibit a little striker drag, but nothing that would be troublesome. I've always preferred a hammer-fired handgun. But I now carry a 365, and like it quite a bit. Love the size and weight, a real easy carry compared to my old 220. The stock trigger is very good compared to competitors, and it is surprisingly accurate for its size. It will probably need more comprehensive maintenance at 5,000 rounds than a hammer-fired full-size might, but that's an ok trade off in my book. I prefer a 147 grain carry load in mine due to brand preference, but it eats most other loads just fine, and most shouldn't notice much difference anyway. It's a good gun.

Every all-new gun model has some teething issues, either in design or in initial tooling. They usually get fixed. The 365 issues did. But the 320 was a troubled design. No doubt about it. I will never judge any gunmaker on one bad gun.

I disagree with the other gentleman's comment about Sig quality declining with Exeter. I didn't care for the various sub-models and rainbow of colors, themes, and grip options they've encouraged under the management of the last decade or so. It's like buying a Cadillac in the 70s. Give me basic black, thank you. But I've had both German and Exeter builds over the years, and they are both very well-machined firearms. I can't notice a qualitative difference, either in firing them or stripping them down. Maybe after 100,000 rounds, someone will notice a genuine difference. But for now, I don't.

👆100%
Something doesn’t pass the smell test for me with these “holstered discharges”.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
The post-revision 365s have been rock solid. They still exhibit a little striker drag, but nothing that would be troublesome. I've always preferred a hammer-fired handgun. But I now carry a 365, and like it quite a bit. Love the size and weight, a real easy carry compared to my old 220. The stock trigger is very good compared to competitors, and it is surprisingly accurate for its size. It will probably need more comprehensive maintenance at 5,000 rounds than a hammer-fired full-size might, but that's an ok trade off in my book. I prefer a 147 grain carry load in mine due to brand preference, but it eats most other loads just fine, and most shouldn't notice much difference anyway. It's a good gun.

Every all-new gun model has some teething issues, either in design or in initial tooling. They usually get fixed. The 365 issues did. But the 320 was a troubled design. No doubt about it. I will never judge any gunmaker on one bad gun.

I disagree with the other gentleman's comment about Sig quality declining with Exeter. I didn't care for the various sub-models and rainbow of colors, themes, and grip options they've encouraged under the management of the last decade or so. It's like buying a Cadillac in the 70s. Give me basic black, thank you. But I've had both German and Exeter builds over the years, and they are both very well-machined firearms. I can't notice a qualitative difference, either in firing them or stripping them down. Maybe after 100,000 rounds, someone will notice a genuine difference. But for now, I don't.

I have to completely disagree. The white Caddies in the 70's were so much better looking than black. :w00t:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Is it just me, or is the Glock the only striker fired I would be confident carrying brand new straight from the box? I’m just saying, if I had to pick one semi striker fired pistol without first testing for reliability with all kinds of ammo?

It would be Glock. :)

Is your duty weapon a Glock, Rob?

If you must have a 226, there is but one to consider first. The Mk25.

A really beautiful pistol where it matters.

I hear you, but I have never liked DA/SA and none of my guns are DA/SA. Also as a lefty, that gun with a right side decocker would not be the easiest for me to manipulate. But Sir, you do have good taste in guns.

OkieStubble

By God, it’s just you! 😜
I have confidence in my HK VP9, VP40 & Steyr L40-A1 pistols ... and beyond total confidence in P7-series pistols, which can still be found brand new (in) the box.

Now that you are familiar with all of them? Or even unknown straight from the box? :)

OkieStubble

By God, it’s just you! 😜

When my oldest boy turned 21, I bought him his first 9mm pistol which was the Steyr M9 A1 with the trapezoid sights. I bought it off a guy who sold it to me for $200 hardly used.

have you seen how much they are worth now that they have been discontinued? Great shooting gun and collectible. I have tried to buy it back or trade him a Glock for it since then, but he won’t wheel and deal with his old man.

Smart lil’ bastage.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

👆100%
Something doesn’t pass the smell test for me with these “holstered discharges”.

+1. Most modern striker fired pistols having a “falling block”. Between the striker and channel. It negates any misfire from drops, bumps etc. the only way to disengage the falling block and allow the striker to engage a primer is by intentionally pulling the trigger completely to the rear which lifts the block up and away from the channel so when the sear is released the pin now has a free pass to the cartridge.

Top Bottom