What's new

My vintage fountain pens

I am not a vintage pen collector but I like them and bought these in the last years:

- Sheaffer PFM III (Pen For Men) 1960 and its distinctive inlaid nib

proxy.php

proxy.php

- Aurora 889 (1958 - my birthyear)

proxy.php

- Parker DuoFold Senior (1928-30)

proxy.php

Nice looking "big red". I do think the 2 cap band look was an upgrade from the single thick ring from earlier in the run.

What size nibs on the 3?

I'm sure the PFM is a nail. How are the other two?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Nice looking "big red". I do think the 2 cap band look was an upgrade from the single thick ring from earlier in the run.

What size nibs on the 3?

I'm sure the PFM is a nail. How are the other two?

Frankly I don't know the size of the nibs, and neither what a "nail" means (english is not my language).
However here are pics of the other two nibs (I wrongly wrote 889 in the Aurora model it is 88P):

proxy.php

proxy.php

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
For "not a vintage pen collector", you've got some very nice pieces! The Big Red and PFM really exemplified the height of pen style in their respective eras. Your birthyear Aurora has a lot of Parker 51 influence going on, with the metal cap and hooded nib. I think Duafold, P51, PFM would be a pretty solid entry in any "Best 3 Pen collection" competition.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
For the last year an 888P has been my constant carry choice.

"Nail" means an extra stiff nib. The Parker Duofold was what was considered a maniFOLD nib, stiff enough so that users could press hard enough to allow carbon copies to be readable.

I actually bought also a P51 but it was defective and sent it back and replaced with my birthyear Aurora, maybe in the future I will get one...
Well, I am not a collector but I did my homework before choosing these pens ;)

For "not a vintage pen collector", you've got some very nice pieces! The Big Red and PFM really exemplified the height of pen style in their respective eras. Your birthyear Aurora has a lot of Parker 51 influence going on, with the metal cap and hooded nib. I think Duafold, P51, PFM would be a pretty solid entry in any "Best 3 Pen collection" competition.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
For the last year an 888P has been my constant carry choice.

"Nail" means an extra stiff nib. The Parker Duofold was what was considered a maniFOLD nib, stiff enough so that users could press hard enough to allow carbon copies to be readable.

And what famous document was signed with one?

Sheaffer PFM III (Pen For Men) 1960 and its distinctive inlaid nib
:thumbup1: That looks in great condition, I am envious. I have been looking for a PFM but the prices are too high. Just inked an old Touchdown which I cleaned and getting used to the writing angle; it writes better at a bit more of a vertical angle than my Targa.
All my pens are Sheaffer except one Parker.
The Pelikan 140 looks good too and the Aurora looks in pristine condition.

Parker Big Red for McArthur and Eisenhower ?
View attachment 1110776

Great advertising for Parker, Ike making a Victory V holding Parker 51s. Ike had a friendship with Kenneth Parker and arranged for a small number of Buckskin Parker 51s to be sent to people who had worked with him in WW2 with a suitable inscription on the pen.

This pen is at the Royal Maritime Museum in Greenwich England.

P51 Eis.1.jpg

Great advertising for Parker, Ike making a Victory V holding Parker 51s. Ike had a friendship with Kenneth Parker and arranged for a small number of Buckskin Parker 51s to be sent to people who had worked with him in WW2 with a suitable inscription on the pen.

This pen is at the Royal Maritime Museum in Greenwich England.

View attachment 1110849
Do you have any idea what the inscription says? I can't make it out.

Do you have any idea what the inscription says? I can't make it out.

This particular pen was to Andrew Cunningham, who was an Admiral in the Royal Navy

It reads To Andrew, Mediterranean Allied Team '43, IKE

As far as I know this could be the only remaining P51 that was gifted by Ike. I know that 6 or 7 were given out, all in the same color, but I cannot find records of what happened to the others. if anyone knows please let me know.

It is possible that the other pens were simply used and the inscription worn away. When you think that the gifts were to people who changed the course of WW2 I am not sure that the prestige of a pen with a lacklustre inscription would have been thought of as so very remarkable.

Top Bottom