What's new

Why my first fountain pen doesn’t write?

I’ve bought my first fountain pen and install a universal cartridge. The ink doesn’t get into the nib. I double check if the cartridge was punctured, and it was.

I kept the pen vertical overnight and nothing. I flushed the nib with some liquid soap and nothing.

Am I doing something wrong? It’s my first fountain pen and I need some enlightening :)

Attachments

• 1E658994-7016-47C9-BD7C-9540D0C329F9.jpeg
    1E658994-7016-47C9-BD7C-9540D0C329F9.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 2EB070CF-2B7A-4D28-A98E-33AE66E7FCD8.jpeg
    2EB070CF-2B7A-4D28-A98E-33AE66E7FCD8.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 28
  • C63AE83C-590F-4B07-B305-DE6E9A5BB515.jpeg
    C63AE83C-590F-4B07-B305-DE6E9A5BB515.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 30

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
You can squeeze the cartridge until a drop shows coming out or gently shake it (over the sink). Once the flow starts it should be OK.

I have no experience with that brand, hopefully it will work for you @hugosf

Apply pressure on the nib, like a good stretch and then shake violently, apply pressure again. This works best if you are wearing a clean white shirt and shaking over new carpet lol. My wife won’t let me use my fountain pens inside anymore for some reason. I hope you get it working and congrats on your first pen sir!

You can squeeze the cartridge until a drop shows coming out or gently shake it (over the sink). Once the flow starts it should be OK.
I’ve tried shake gently (and hard :). And I can’t squeeze the cartridge.

I think there is no slit between the tines. I can’t check the nib-feed alignment because the nib is hooded.

It’s a 3.00 pen I bought to experience fountain pens. I probably bought a defective pen :( Maybe is my first and last fountain pen 😂

Attachments

• BFE1DC56-1C05-4C71-B478-977A8D1A9EF8.jpeg
    BFE1DC56-1C05-4C71-B478-977A8D1A9EF8.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 12
No slit? That won't have any capillary action. :huh:
Yes, the nib seem a little odd. To get the capillary action should be some slit. I attached a photo. There is a little tiny slit when you put against the light. I don’t know how much big the slit should be.

I will try contact the vendor and maybe adjust the nib myself tomorrow. Unfortunately I don’t have a loupe.

Before grabbing channel locks and a blow torch, I would leave the pen in the warm sun for 10 minutes then place the nib (normal writing angle) on paper, on a table and put some decent pressure on the nib. You should be able to see the nib flex and hopefully get some ink through. A few shakes in between helps but this is how I get my cartridge Cross to flow.
No fun having a new toy with dead batteries.

Don't let a $3 junker discourage you.

Up your budget to $25 and get a Lamy or something similar. They are guaranteed to write.

I wouldn't put too much time and effort into fixing this one. Even if it writes, it won't be a good indication of what a decent pen will do for you.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
It’s a 3.00 pen I bought to experience fountain pens. I probably bought a defective pen :( Maybe is my first and last fountain pen 😂
No offense sir, but, this is the problem. For your first pen, skip Amazon/Ebay/Ali Baba/etc. Stick to a German or Japanese brand and buy from a reputable online stationary store to help you out in case there’s a problem.

Good brands for inexpensive, but good, pens: Lamy, Kaweco, Faber-Castel, Pilot, Platinum, Twisbi.

First time you write with a quality fountain pen, it'll click and you'll think "ah, I get it."

Last edited:
No offense sir, but, this is the problem. For your first pen, skip Amazon/Ebay/Ali Baba/etc. Stick to a German or Japanese brand and buy from a reputable online stationary store to help you out in case there’s a problem.
Yes, that’s the problem. But I think that pen at least will write. I’ve bought from a very reputable online stationary store and they sell those Jinhao pens as “starter pens”. My thought was “I will buy a cheap but functional pen to experience fountain pens before spend with converters, bottle ink, etc”. If I like, I would upgrade to a nicer pen and I could use the nib to practice tuning. Unfortunately this pen leave some bitter taste for fountain pen. A niche vendor that only sell fountain pens shouldn’t sell pens destined to trash ☺️

People who sell niche products have in some degree “an educational function”. It’s a product which few people have contact it. If the first experience is bad, probably it’s one person in the hobby.

I bought this pen and came without ink. So I have to buy some ink. I have to search online what the cartridg is compatible. I discovered that most of the brands have proprietary cartridges. After get the cartridge installed, no writing at all. One more time search online. Saw a video from another reputable vendor talking about capillary action. He says to keep the pen vertical for 1-2 hours to the capillary action acts. No writing yet. Another search, a new video from another vendor. Maybe the knit was contaminate with oils from the factory. Clean and flushed the pen, no writing yet. Contacted the vendor who sell the pen, suggest to ”jump starting” the pen. One more video and NOTHING. Post in B&B and 100% agreed that the pen is junk and I’m a cheap guy 🤣.

Last edited:
How much is your time worth? You have now spent how many hours trying to get a sub 5.00 pen to work?

While it is true that the pen in question can be a good starter pen, that opinion is not universal and it is certainly not true pen to pen.

You come here and ask for input. You get input but do not like it because your particular sub 5.00 Made in the PRC pen is a *** and it is unlikely that anything you do to it will change that apparent fact long term.

Here is a take away-Never buy something made in the PRC when there is a viable alternative for the same money or a bit more and you can afford it.

Move on. Stop wasting any more time/talent/treasure. In fact, this message is not really for you as much as it is for others who read this so they do not find themselves in the same position.

Based on your latest post, I am fairly certain where you purchased the pen it was purchased from the eastern side of the US. I would note that my presumed seller was completely transparent that it needed a converter, the type of converter and that the pen did not ship with ink.

Pilot varsity link 3.00 ready to write. Not refillable
JetPens.com - Pilot Varsity Disposable Fountain Pen - Purple - Medium Nib - https://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Varsity-Disposable-Fountain-Pen-Purple-Medium-Nib/pd/2199

Platinum Preppy link 4.90 ready to write. Refillable with brand specific proprietary cartridge

To repeat: Trash your pen. Buy one of the two linked above for proof of concept. If you like writing with a fountain pen (which will only do its intrinsic best) on fountain pen friendly paper i.e. 11 ish shipped- 192 pages.

Notably, you could buy both then pen(s) and notebook(s)-Black/Red brand and others, from one vendor, be it Jetpens, Amazon or elsewhere an likely save money re taxes, shipping etc.

FWIW/YMMV

Trash said pen.

In the same sub 5.00 price point, the pilot varsity or platinum preppy all day long.

Concur in strongest possible terms re a Lamy Safari as 1st "real" pen. Alternatively, the Pilot Metropolitan.
One of my preppy pens is doing the same thing. It was working and now it is not.

H4nk
1. Sorry your pen is not working.
2 Not the same thing as the OP as yours apparently worked for a time and now it does not v his never really working at all.
3. As your worked, I would spend 180 seconds taking the pen apart, rinsing it with warm water and "pushing" water thru with a baby snot remover/nasal aspirator

4. If that did not work, I would trash said Preppy and move on. Pilot Varsity if the sub 5.00 price point was driving the train, Lamy Safari/Pilot Metropolitan otherwise.

Top Bottom