What's new

Do you have a spare for your favorite razor?

Hi,

Yes. The Fasan DoubleSlant. Had to find. Usually costly when you do find one. So, some patience is required to acquire these.

I have both an all bakelite one and one with a metal top cap. I use them with Gillette handles as I don't really like the original plastic ones.

Stan

Lots that I purchased for my boys. They are aged 2 and 4, but I’m making razor kits for them. I did this for my favorite and most collectible razors over years.

Some examples

Mint 195s
Nickel and GunKote refinished 195s
NOS Techs
NOS Super Adjustables
NOS Super Speeds
Mint Gibbs Adjustables
Mint US Service Set Old Types
Timeless Bronze SBs
Parker Variants/Merkur caps
Game Changers/84/SB
Ikon SBS/Aluminum
Fendrihan Mark IIs
NOS Coopers/bakelite
NOS Lady Gillettes/Wife and future daughter

Coming Soon
Gillette Heritage
Heritage Collection Gibbs clone/Wait
VB Empetor Meiji

Brushes
RR Plissofts/Chrome handle

I have spares for my spares, too. I've got 2 .84 Gamechangers, 2 Rockwell 6s's, among others. I've got some duplicate soaps, AS splashes, and balms as well. Same with brushes. And blades.

I'm sure there's a clinical/medical name for my condition and I don't think it's OCD, but it might be. I have duplicates of almost everything I own. Suits, shoes, t-shirts, baseball hats & gloves, headphones, sunglasses, even duplicate ipods with the same songs & playlists on them, CD's, 2 copies of some books, & DVD's. On some occasions its been good to have a backup something that I needed because the item was lost or broken. I don't know. I guess thats how I justify it. #kindasad

I came to DE wet shaving late in life. I’ve tried a fair number of razors looking for ones that hit the sweet spot for my needs and preferences. I’ve tried mild to very aggressive, and my preference has been for modern stainless steel razors, toward the mild end of the spectrum. I managed to buy one of the 2020 Paradigm Diamondback razors and have been really impressed both at how mild it feels and yet how closely it shaves. I have been so impressed that several weeks later, when a used 2019 Diamondback showed up on the BST at a somewhat reduced price, I went ahead and bought it. [From what I had read, the 2019 release was marred by some controversy over timing and finish quality concerns. However, there were reviews saying it was an excellent shaver. The 2019 I bought off the BST features a “brushed” finish and is not as “pretty” as the highly polished 2020 version]. As far as I can tell, the 2019 shaves incredibly well, and works every bit as well as the 2020. So now, the 2020 will be the “backup” and I’ll put the 2019 to regular use. Not sure of the psychology, but at this stage of life, it was a fair price for insurance in case I drop the darn thing and damage it. They are in short supply and I’m not getting younger!

I rarely shave with anything but a straight razor, but I've kept all my DE razors, some for my son, my many as collector's items and the following ones because they are excellent shavers for the day I no longer can shave safely with a straight razor:
Mühle R41 2011
Mühle R41
Merkur Vision
Merkur Progress (Digress)
Fatip

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I’ve come to realize that I enjoy the hunt. I’ve acquired some very rare shavers over the past few years; but, I’ve thrown 99% of them back into the water, so to speak. So, for me, having a backup just spoils a good hunt.

No, no backups. But I should buy another Tech, pre-war perhaps this time, to carry with me for traveling. The Tech always gives a great shave, and if I should lose one on a trip, they are easily replaced.

Not that Ill be traveling any time soon, it appears. . . .

I do now. Read something about Merkur possibly closing(?) so a new 37c slant hit the door yesterday afternoon.

As I have had the threads on my Muhle r41 cap corrode away, I have a couple spare caps. A nylon 3-D printed copy of a R41 2011 and a standard pot metal 2013 one. Just in case I have a Muhle v4 Rocca model on the way also. :c1:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a few backup razors and just a razor head. My first BBS shave razor was a Razorock German 37 slant, so I bought a extra head just in case I break or lose it. Bought a Oneblade Core razor for $19.95 with out the blade plan in November 2019 to give it a try and I really just enjoy that razor(carefree shave with good results, 3 pass), Oneblade gave me a $10 coupon for doing a review and so I bought another one for $9.95. The Oneblade Core is my #1 daily driver with a modifiied Gem blade(could be my grail razor). It's funny how the brain works, you get some good shaves from a razor and you tell yourself better get another one just in case. :out: :lol:

Last edited:
I thought I had... I bought a Rapira Swedish Supersteel razor with a metal handle from voskhod.eu a few years back, and despite its fearsome reputation found it quite a pleasant razor. A year later I spotted a plastic-handled Rapira Platinum Lux razor in Malaysia for about a dollar, so thought I'd buy a spare.

My photography skills aren't that great, but you can probably just about make out that the blade gap on the left is about triple that of the right. Now I see where that reputation came about from!
IMG_20200512_184854.jpg

My favorite razor is a moving target. I have several. But one of them is the Gillette ball end tech. I do have several of that one. It's so easy to find a good used grade tech for just 10 or 15 that I couldn't help myself and bought several.

Top Bottom