What's new

Thoughts on mixed boar/badger brushes

I have an Omega Mixed Midget boar/badger brush (11047) and generally I like it, though I don't find myself reaching for it very often. And I don't know if its because its a mixed hair brush. It is on the smaller size of the scale and I prefer a brush that covers more real estate. What is your experience with mixed boar/badger brushes? What are some other examples?

I used to have a Maggard mixed boar/badger knot, it was okay, nothing to write about. I ended up selling it. Thinking about picking one from AP shave co. But tbh, i do not see the point - I like boars, I like badgers, but never think of mixing them.

I'm still interested in trying one out but haven't gotten the chance to do so. It seems more scrubby than my preference so it's hard to spend money on it.

In terms of the absolute best mixed badger/boar I've tried, Semogue is where it's at. 2-band Finest Badger mixed with excellent boar bristle. The brush linked is a good option, and they have a barrel shaped model too that is 26mm if you desire a larger shape.

Of full brushes, yeah Semogue is where it's at.

I've actually found I like Oumo's fan knot a little more though. Feels Denser to me and I really like the fan shape.

There's no brush on the market today I'd take over a good mixed knot.

And Timeclo, yes, they are a good bit scrubby. If you don't like scrub, there are better options

Of full brushes, yeah Semogue is where it's at...
...There's no brush on the market today I'd take over a good mixed knot.
And Timeclo, yes, they are a good bit scrubby. If you don't like scrub, there are better options

It's coming all the way from Portugal amid a world wide pandemic. Might as well be the slow boat from China. Go ahead and tease!

Well the mixed knots I'm waiting on literally ARE on the slow boat from China... or will be once the seller gets around to making them. I bought a ton of them to meet minimum order and was like... oh wow I need to buy vintage handles to put them in. It's been so long now I'm like "oh wow, I bought too many handles, now I need to decide which ones I want to use"... and the vendor hasn't even shipped yet. :(

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
In terms of the absolute best mixed badger/boar I've tried, Semogue is where it's at. 2-band Finest Badger mixed with excellent boar bristle. The brush linked is a good option, and they have a barrel shaped model too that is 26mm if you desire a larger shape.

I'd be interested in a link to that 26 mm brush or other information on finding it. I've not been able to locate one.

1588252521200.png

Edit: Perhaps this is it. If so, are there other handles anywhere? I'm not wild about that handle.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I'd be interested in a link to that 26 mm brush or other information on finding it. I've not been able to locate one.

View attachment 1093998

Edit: Perhaps this is it. If so, are there other handles anywhere? I'm not wild about that handle.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

This is a limited edition created for a forum and in my understanding that was the only handle. I haven't seen any other Semogue brushes with that exact knot (26mm). They offer a few options at 24mm as far as I know.

I have a 24mm maggard 70/30. For me and my face it’s literally the perfect brush. Love the mix. I’m new so my tastes may change but not currently. I tend to like boar brushes but this adds a little softness. Good back bone for harder soaps and soft in the face with some scrub. Perfect for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have a 24mm maggard 70/30. For me and my face it’s literally the perfect brush. Love the mix. I’m new so my tastes may change but not currently. I tend to like boar brushes but this adds a little softness. Good back bone for harder soaps and soft in the face with some scrub. Perfect for me.

My Maggard 70/30...

70:30.Thater.Damp.640.4-29-20.1stShave.JPG

...is pictured here damp. Mine's a 26 mm knot.

I'll hold off on much of a review because it's not broken in yet, but it's an interesting knot. I have hopes for it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

+1 to the Semogue mixed knot. out of the box it had nice scrub with no scritch. here's a pic of the tips on mine after 1 use + 2 day soak when i first got it:
View attachment 1095331
+2 to the Semogue Owners Club Mistura (mixed) knot. I received mine the other day, used it once and liked it. I will use it again tomorrow to lather up some Tangerine Creeper soap. I got mine in an ash handle to distinguish it from my SOC boar in the cherry handle. Semogue Owners Club brushes are a quality product in my experience. Semogue also offers the same knot in a Taj or resin handle for a few more dollars.

With my SOC boar I went through the soak in the fridge process to break it in but with the Mistura I am simply using it. No other steps like shampoo or conditioner, just use.

Top Bottom