What's new

The Dreaded Modern Williams Mug Shave Soap Review

A cremo horsehair brush works great on WMS.
Good to know. I actually have one and it is going to be replacing my Omega for videos coming up. Maybe as early as tomorrow's shave. I used it for a little while, but the knot fell out and it took me awhile to get back to epoxying the knot back in.

Good to know. I actually have one and it is going to be replacing my Omega for videos coming up. Maybe as early as tomorrow's shave. I used it for a little while, but the knot fell out and it took me awhile to get back to epoxying the knot back in.

My knot fell out, too.

So I bought some the other day.... A dollar and some change... Whats weird is i'm old school but always turned my nose up to Williams... Now that its hard to get in stores, I didn't know what I had till it was gone.

I wake up at 4:00 every morning and exercise... Before I started I let the puck soak in water for an hour or so. I then shower, shave my head (i use Headblade products for that).... Now its Williams time. It lathered unbelievable.

Its now tied for first with MWF, and Chiseled Face Pine tar... I have some other products by Chiseled Face I love, but I might sell them. Trying to simplify my life and Williams just might be the answer. But I don't think it could ever replace MWF.

So I bought some the other day.... A dollar and some change... Whats weird is i'm old school but always turned my nose up to Williams... Now that its hard to get in stores, I didn't know what I had till it was gone.

I wake up at 4:00 every morning and exercise... Before I started I let the puck soak in water for an hour or so. I then shower, shave my head (i use Headblade products for that).... Now its Williams time. It lathered unbelievable.

Its now tied for first with MWF, and Chiseled Face Pine tar... I have some other products by Chiseled Face I love, but I might sell them. Trying to simplify my life and Williams just might be the answer. But I don't think it could ever replace MWF.
Good stuff.

I see that a couple of Williams users know how to simply tame that Demon Williams - grating for stick use & face lathering is one way.
Back up and forget all that complicated blooming, chanting incantations, and whining about how difficult it is. Simply set out the dry puck, and swirl a damp brush over it several dozen times. Either face lather, or add water, a couple of drops at a time to a bowl and whip it up into a dense and slick lather.

Last edited:
Great review, thanks. Ordered from Ebay 10 minutes ago :)
When it comes to Modern Williams I don't have FOMO, I have FORO (Fear Of Running Out). I buy them 24 or 36 at a time. The boxes are staking up, but I don't care. They're so cheap and store so well I know if the world as we know it ends I know I can be clean shaven. I know, I'm weird.

When it comes to Modern Williams I don't have FOMO, I have FORO (Fear Of Running Out). I buy them 24 or 36 at a time. The boxes are staking up, but I don't care. They're so cheap and store so well I know if the world as we know it ends I know I can be clean shaven. I know, I'm weird.

I have an order of 24 on the way.

Ooh...I'm going to try to do this with one of these old Williams stick Holders I ordered

Any advice on forming it?

I'm not 100% positive this will work or what the results would be like... but it might be possible to re-form this.

When I was a young teenager one of my neighbors used to mold little soaps for giving out as gifts. She used to slice up bars of cheap soap into thin flakes or shavings, then add some water and place in a double boiler. She put in coloring and scent too when it was melted and then poured it into little molds.

It then had to sit in the mold to dry out and harden, but I don't remember how long that took.

The resulting soaps were hard, not soft or mushy, and my wife used some and they worked just like a bar of soap from the store.

Various soaps are different and have a variety of ingredients, so I don't know whether or not Williams would lend itself to this treatment.

I'm not 100% positive this will work or what the results would be like... but it might be possible to re-form this.

When I was a young teenager one of my neighbors used to mold little soaps for giving out as gifts. She used to slice up bars of cheap soap into thin flakes or shavings, then add some water and place in a double boiler. She put in coloring and scent too when it was melted and then poured it into little molds.

It then had to sit in the mold to dry out and harden, but I don't remember how long that took.

The resulting soaps were hard, not soft or mushy, and my wife used some and they worked just like a bar of soap from the store.

Various soaps are different and have a variety of ingredients, so I don't know whether or not Williams would lend itself to this treatment.
I grated part of a Williams puck with a cheese grater. I also grated a little black charcoal soap & mixed it in - looks like granite. It packed into a tube just fine & I put the rest into a little plastic bowl with snap-on lid. No need to heat it up.

I just shaved using this soap; found it in a local supermarket for $1.50 and figured... why not, let's give it a try. It is quite hard and has a lemony scent - like a dish detergent, but less intense. In any case, I decided to put it in a Parker ceramic mug and soak it in lukewarm water for 3-4 minutes. Instead of loading my brush, I decided to use it as a shave stick. Rubbed the puck on my face for 5 seconds (which is very easy to do, since the puck is small), then face lathered with a wet Parker silvertip badger brush.

You know what - I got great (!) lather, enough for two-three passes, slick, good face feel. I really have nothing bad to say about this soap. For 1.50... yeah, this is definitely usable. I think I will buy 5 boxes of this. It would make a great shave stick... they should think about it. Even with the small stick container it would be cheaper than amost anything that's readily available in stores. It's much, much better than I expected and if you use this method, it's extremely easy to use.

Last edited:
I just shaved using this soap; found it in a local supermarket for $1.50 and figured... why not, let's give it a try. It is quite hard and has a lemony scent - like a dish detergent, but less intense. In any case, I decided to put it in a Parker

I bought a Williams soap recently from Walgreens. They don't have it in the store, but you can buy it online and have it delivered to your local store for free. (They also have a VDH shaving soap, so I got one of those too.)

The scent reminds me of the way Ivory soap smelled when I used to use it. It's been a long time since I bought any Ivory, so I don't know if it still smells like that. I do know that P&G changed Ivory at one point and it no longer floats.

If you're wondering why I no longer use Ivory, it's because my wife and I really like the Dr Bronner's liquid soaps, so we get those instead. (Both Dr. Bronner's and Kiss My Face have really good bar soap too.)

I haven't tried any of these bar soaps for shaving. Maybe someday I'll do that.

I have gone back to using Williams daily after playing around with numerous other soaps. I find that the lather performance is unbeatable on the second pass after the initial layer of slickness is down. I simply get my best shaves from it and it is mild enough to not aggravate my skin.

I recently acquired a puck from around 2005, so early Combe reformulation, and used it for this mornings shave. The scent is all but gone and the puck has taken on a tan coloration with time. The performance, however, is a noticeable improvement over the pucks I purchase locally. I can't help but wonder if there has been minor tweaks to the formula over the last 15 years or if aging the puck has an impact on latherability and the stability of said lather. Either way it preforms admirably and would likely only be bested by true "vintage" Williams (which I have never tried).

I found these plastic jewelry boxes in the hobby store, and they look like they were made to store Williams pucks. I've had some exceptional shaves with this using it is a shave stick. Lathers easily and provides great slickness. The lather is never very thick, but the texture is always good. I've used two razors with it, the open comb Parker 68S Stainless Steel with a Parker blade and a 1970 short Gillette Super Adjustable with a Gillette Silver Blue blade. Both provided very smooth, nick free shave. I will try a Parker shavette next.

Attachments

• Williams Storage Box.JPG
    Williams Storage Box.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 14
Continuing my shave soap and cream reviews;

This is my review of Williams Mug Shave Soap. Products used during the shower and shave were as follows;​

1. Pears Soap with Mint Extract Bath Soap
  2. Dollar Shave Club Face Wash
  3. The Body Shop Tea Tree Face Scrub
  4. Williams Mug Shave Soap
  5. Marvy Mug
  6. Q-Shave scuttle
  7. Omega 49 Shave Brush
  8. Rockwell 6S on R5
  9. Dorco Prime (2nd use)
  10. Gentleman Jon’s Alum Block
  11. Aqua Velva Aftershave
  12. Brut Antiperspirant Deodorant

The following process is what I used for my SOTD with the Williams Mug Shave Soap. This is also the same process I use with all my shave soaps;​

1. While I brushed my teeth I made sure the scuttle ran under the hot water
  2. I filled the water hollow and the lathering bowl portion of scuttle with hot water
  3. Rinsed brush with hot water
  4. Placed brush in Marvy Mug with Williams Shave Soap
  5. Filled Marvy Mug containing Williams Mug Shave Soap for blooming
  6. Took shower
  7. Took out brush and rung out excess water
  8. Used Bloom water from puck/bowl as pre-shave
  9. Dumped scuttle water from both water hollow and lathering bowl area
  10. Refilled water hollow with fresh hot water
  11. Loaded damp brush from puck creating a cream
  12. Started working the cream in the bowl
  13. Added hot water via finger tips until desired lather is produced
  14. Lather my face
  15. Cleaned my glasses with finger tip of lather
  16. Waited another minute to let the lather work its magic
  17. Pass I WTG
  18. Lather face
  19. Pass II Lower Jaw to Nose
  20. Lather face
  21. Pass III Chin to Ear
  22. Check for pick ups (None Needed)
  23. Scrub face with some of the leftover lather (Kevy Shaves style)
  24. Rinse face
  25. Apply alum to Face
  26. Rinse Alum Block
  27. Clean equipment
  28. Rinse off Alum from face
  29. Dry off
  30. Apply Aftershave
  31. Apply Deodorant
Now for my thoughts. Just a heads up. Due to my process of bowl lathering unless the soap/cream is just horrible I always get a great lather. It takes longer, but the control of how much water is used really helps dial in the lather just right. Some soaps/creams take longer than others. So it is hard for me to find a soap/cream I dislike.​

1. Time to Lather
    1. Takes a lot of time and patience
      1. Once you think you have it, you don’t
      2. Once you think you have it again, you don’t
      3. When you are about to give up, you get it
      4. Very thirsty soap
  2. Quality of Lather
    1. Great quality
      1. If you do it right
  3. Cushion
    1. Great Cushion
      1. If you do it right
  4. Slickness
    1. Whilst lathered
      1. The slickest I’ve had yet
    2. After Pass (Bare Wet Skin)
      1. Almost as slick as with the lather
  5. Scent
    1. Must get used to
    2. Like an extreme industrial soap
    3. The pairing of the Aqua Velva is perfect
    4. Works great with any other EdT or EdC due to no real lasting smell
  6. Rinse
    1. Rinsing Clean takes effort
  7. Post Shave
    1. Meh
      1. Just like using a descent face soap
      2. Not moisturizing
      3. Not drying
This is a very polarizing soap. I love this soap. It has a great slickness and great lather. However, to get a good lather takes time, patience, and technique. I see a lot of folks mixing their pucks with other things for a better scent and faster lathering. There’s a really nice guy who has his own YouTube Channel who speaks against even blooming the puck. If he reads this he’d probably say something like, “Don’t molest the Williams.” I personally do not deviate from the process unless the process does not work. My process with this soap gives me a great lather that does not dissipate. If someone put a gun to my head and told me I was allowed only one soap for the rest of my life, it would be Williams. I wish Combe would bring back some Williams Mug Shave Soap swag. Like a mug. That would be nice.

I have bought this soap in bulk. I have over thirty pucks of this stored away for safe keeping. If the world ends I will still be able to have great shaves as long as I can find water and purify it. I highly doubt this is a needed concern, but I am not running out of Williams any time soon. For about a dollar a puck, I believe it’s well worth the money. This is the shave soap Wyatt Earp would have used. There’s just something about that that makes me smile.

I do recommend it if you are like me and accept challenges knowing the payoff in the end is worth it. If you do not have the patience, don’t buy this soap. You’ll just become frustrated. Are there easier to lather soaps with a nicer scent? Of course, but there’s just something about achieving a top tier lather with top tier slickness with a product that’s so inexpensive.​

I completely agree! I have been using Williams for years. It is my go to soap, the one I always come back to. Never found anything better.

Quick update: I now lather this as intended - in a mug - using the new Simpson Trafalgar 3 synthetic brush. Basically, with this brush you can get a great lather in 30 seconds. No special method required - wet the tips, swirl around to pick up enough soap (you can bloom it for 2-3 minutes), lather on palm, face or in a mug, whatever. Great lather every time. I don't have a clue why some people say this is hard to lather.

Last edited:
Top Bottom