What's new

Upgrade from de89

The Game Changer .68 has more blade forward than the DE89 so you may or may not like that. The .84 slightly more so. You would probably like the Mamba .58. If brass is an option consider the Fatip Gentile. That said the Fatip top cap will likely break when dropped even though it's brass. Nice mild shavers though and inexpensive.

Love the DE89. Has anyone tried the one with the barley handle or the 3d laser knurling? The regular one is a bit slippery.

Razorock(Italian Barber) GameChanger .84P hands down.

03cb5982ad4c567daf458e98471428bd.jpg

Last edited:
Love the DE89. Has anyone tried the one with the barley handle or the 3d laser knurling? The regular one is a bit slippery.

I have one. It adds a little heft to it. I don't find it to be really grippy. But I can't ever recall it slipping out of my hand either.

Bought a RR Game changer .84 and it's my go to razor. Highly recommend one.

I have one. It adds a little heft to it. I don't find it to be really grippy. But I can't ever recall it slipping out of my hand either.

Bought a RR Game changer .84 and it's my go to razor. Highly recommend one.
Which one, the barley handle?

I had a GC .68 but didn't like it, it was a bit too mild. May try a .84 at some point.

Went back to EJ de 89 after a few years of using other razors and it is now one of my top two.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

I have a DE3D14, and have no problems controlling it. I cant specifically compare it to other handles though, as that's the only razor of theirs I've owned

If you want something in stainless, RazoRock's Game Changers are excellent (as is the Mamba 70). The Fatip Gentile is another excellent choice although you need to be careful with how you load the blade. A vintage Gillette Tech would also be great. Lastly, another EK de89 or Merkur safety bar would also be fine.

It all depends how much money and time you want to spend, and your curiosity on trying a new system.
There are so many cheap copies of DE89 in the market.
You can just buy a replacement head
Or you can get a new SS razor
Or you can get the "new" gillette razor from amazon, or go to Marshalls/TjMax and look for an Art of Shaving DE copy for $15....

I have a DE3D14, and have no problems controlling it. I cant specifically compare it to other handles though, as that's the only razor of theirs I've owned

I love the handle of the DE3D, it affords a very good grip, even when wet. The DE3D/DE89 is mildest, yet efficient razor in my rotation. It always gives me excelent, drama-free shaves!

Attachments

• Edwin Jagger DE3D - 2.jpg
    Edwin Jagger DE3D - 2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 28
How about a vintage durable adjustable razor, maybe a Gillette Slim or a Gillette Super Adjustable? Or if you like more modern German razors, a Merkur Progress?

With an adjustable razor you can replicate in theory the geometry and the shave of almost any razor out there.

If you like the way the EJ DE89 shaves, but need more durability, you might want to consider the Muhle R89. The Muhle has the same head as the DE 89, but the threads are brass rather than plated Zamak. I did not like the handle on my DE89lbl, but love the larger handle on the Muhle R89 Grande.

The Game Changer doesn't shave like a DE89, nor does the Mamba 70. The Mamba .58 does though. Kinda.

I have the Mamba 0.53 and DE89 (knurled handle). Assuming you get the angle and maintain it (it's less intuitive than a DE89 imho), the Mamba is smoother and more efficient. The Mamba also holds the blade more rigidly than the DE89 but not as rigidly as the GC or Karve. The DE89 just doesn't work well for my face.

The Occams DE stainless solid bar is total copy of the DE89, but in stainless. A hair more efficient as well. It’s a great razor.
+1 If you want to replicate the shave of your DE 89 in stainless, the Occams is the closest you'll get, IMO. It is sintered or MIM, not CNC machined, but still stainless, and quite well made. And, it's a great value; not much more money than the DE89 itself, but in stainless.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I will put forward the Edwin Jagger 3one6. Mmmmmmmmm....
I have a 3one6 and like it very much. Its head design doesn’t look anything like a DE89, but it does shave quite the same, just a bit more efficient. But very smooth. I get great shaves from mine.

Top Bottom