What's new

Alum causing irritation?

So I recently picked up a razorock alum block and was excited to start using it to calm down the irritation. Prior to the alum I used witchazel which was fine.

I started noticing an increase in irritation and redness when using the alum. I thought it was lather, blade, technique so I stopped using it... No irritation it redness. I used it again today, redness came back.

I guess I'm wondering if this is normal or if there are better quality alum blocks that don't do this? I thought alum was alum but maybe not?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk

For some, alum doesn't work. Alum is alum so a different one won't change the results. WH may be your answer.

Are you rinsing the alum off with cool water after a few minutes?

What happens when you use an aftershave with high alcohol content? Do you get a lot of sting from that?

I wasn't rinsing it off initially but then started, same result. Aftershave feels the same either way. It's more of a visible irritation and redness than anything else.

Oh no kidding? I didn't realize it was like a stypic stick. I thought it was more like a witchazel.

Hmm. People have different body chemistries and reactions to substances I guess. I use alum after every shave. Then either a balm or splash or both once my face has dried from applying the alum.

I just used alum a few minutes ago, matter of fact. Too bad it isn't working for you. I swear by it as an aftershave and deodorant.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
So I recently picked up a razorock alum block and was excited to start using it to calm down the irritation. Prior to the alum I used witchazel which was fine.

I started noticing an increase in irritation and redness when using the alum. I thought it was lather, blade, technique so I stopped using it... No irritation it redness. I used it again today, redness came back.

I guess I'm wondering if this is normal or if there are better quality alum blocks that don't do this? I thought alum was alum but maybe not?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

I had the same problem with the Razorock alum, but the Osma alum never irritated me. Someone here in the forums wrote about this issue that there are different types of alum, solid block like the Osma, and pressed together types like razorock. Anyway being cheap as I am I didn't want to toss the Razorock alum and tried another suggestion when using it, and that is to rinse it off with cold water right after applying, which worked for me. I try not to use it unless I have nicks or weepers, so I barely use it anymore. I also seldom use witch hazel because that can also make things worse if used too often, well for me anyway.

I had the same problem with the Razorock alum, but the Osma alum never irritated me. Someone here in the forums wrote about this issue that there are different types of alum, solid block like the Osma, and pressed together types like razorock. Anyway being cheap as I am I didn't want to toss the Razorock alum and tried another suggestion when using it, and that is to rinse it off with cold water right after applying, which worked for me. I try not to use it unless I have nicks or weepers, so I barely use it anymore. I also seldom use witch hazel because that can also make things worse if used too often, well for me anyway.

Yes, I think the Osma block is likely potassium alum. The RR may be aluminium ammonia sulfate, which I suspect is a tad harsher and more "industrial" as opposed to the more natural potassium alum.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've tried alum. It does not bother me a big deal but it is drying to my face. I think I'm a minimalist mostly. I don't like much on my face. For a long time I showered after shaving to get stuff off my face that was not helping. (yeah some strong smelling shaving soap did really upset my face).

I wish you luck. . . maybe leave the alum for others.

I have had the same experience with Alum. Alum is extremely irritating to my skin. I tried a few things including washing it off immediately after application. My shaves have improved greatly after taking Alum out of the equation.

Thayers Witch Hazel seems to be a much milder alternative. One thing I do like about Alum is how grippy it makes your hands. It is very useful for skin stretching. Unfortunately I am not able to use it in my face.

Thanks for all the feedback gents. I think I'll use it sparingly for cuts/weepers and remove it quickly. I'd be interested in trying another brand, osam as an example, but I think for they most part witchazel might be the ticket for me.

In the old days of the forums alum was spoken of as only a method to staunch the bleeding of weepers and minor cuts. This is what barbers supposedly used it for since time immemorial. They'd have one block and used it on all customers. It stopped because of disease transference etc.

It's use has since blossomed as a full aftershave application since. I've watch this happen over the years. IMHO, the use of it as an aftershave is mostly due to marketing.

That said, some guys like to use it that way, so good on them as they get a perceived benefit from it. Many roads to Rome.

I myself only use it the old way, only if I have a weeper or slight cut, which is rare. Mine is the old Bloc Osma bought about 17 years ago and it nearly pristine and they will probably bury me with it.

Use it how you like it and don't let anyone tell you different.

Chris

I used to use it as my normal post shave routine. Rinse off the lather, luke warm water and alum, cold water splash, aftershave. Since buying some higher quality soaps, somone recommended not using alum to fully experience the post shave properties. I've realized my skin feels much better NOT using the alum. I rinse the lather off, and jump right to the cold water splash. I may or may not use an aftershave splash/balm and have much less irritation. I must be sensitive to it! Still useful for weepers though!

I can't use alum either, it's not just you. Don't feel bad, you'll just save money for other things.

And yes, you don't need alum or to splash alcohol on your face after you're done shaving. My face feels great with a warm water rinse, cool water rinse, and a pat towel dry. Any decent soap will leave your face feeling soft and hydrated all day long.

Alum didn’t agree with me at all. I know people say to rinse it off but I felt like I could never get it off my face. Just made my face feel weird and grippy/sticky. Pass for me.

Yes, I think the Osma block is likely potassium alum. The RR may be aluminium ammonia sulfate, which I suspect is a tad harsher and more "industrial" as opposed to the more natural potassium alum.
Razorock alum, in either block or stick form, is potassium alum, the most common type. It is not ammonium alum. Fact checking this was very easy and took less than a minute.

It's true that some people get irritation from alum. I would just avoid it or use it sparingly on cuts, etc.

Forgot to add like the above poster indicated, I kept my RR alum and use it on the occasional cut or nick. It seems to work as well as a styptic but doesn’t deform and crumble over time like the styptic can.

Forgot to add like the above poster indicated, I kept my RR alum and use it on the occasional cut or nick. It seems to work as well as a styptic but doesn’t deform and crumble over time like the styptic can.

I love styptic matches for "repairs". Tear one off, seal wound, toss it!

81HVpqCyW6L._SY355_.jpg

Top Bottom