What's new

Recommendations needed.

Here's the deal

I'm going to be shipping out to basic in the near future. Problem is, I have to fly to get there, and I am required to bring a carry-on sized bag and only a carry on sized bag. No checked luggage

So I need a way to still shave with a DE for a while, because even if I can get my folks to mail me blades and whatnot, that's still a week where I'm totally SOL.

Recommendations?

Thanks for your time

You won't be allowed to carry on DE Blades. Your best best is a cartridge razor or disposable such as BIC Metal. You might be interested in a razor called the Gillette Guard. It is a cartridge razor, but shaves better than most. You can get the Guard from the bay or West Coast Shaving.

It may be a week or two before you are allowed to visit the PX to obtain DEs, so I second Stuart's advice to take along some disposables.
Again, thank you for your service.

I am guessing that they won't be giving you a lot of time to shave in the morning so maybe you should just leave the DE at home. Get a Trac II handle, some cartridges, and brushless cream. The Trac II head does not pivot so your technique needs less change than more modern systems. Also, no one is probably going to steal your carts!

Godspeed.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I am guessing that they won't be giving you a lot of time to shave in the morning so maybe you should just leave the DE at home. Get a Trac II handle, some cartridges, and brushless cream. The Trac II head does not pivot so your technique needs less change than more modern systems. Also, no one is probably going to steal your carts!

Godspeed.
+1 on this!!! Seriously, start practicing getting a shave done when you’re barely awake, and within 60 seconds (probably quicker). Also, a friend of mine that went through marine boot camp said the best advice he got prior to going was: don’t be first, don’t be last, and don’t volunteer for anything. Once you’re through, then life and shaving can begin to normalize.

I don't think you're allowed any DE blades so DE shaving probably not allowed as well... Stick to cartridges for the time being and DE shave when you come back.

If you are going to basic, you will be issued disposable razors and a can of goo. Use that until you get out of basic and then buy / have shipped what you want. No need to bring extra stuff with you.

Find your closest Walgreens or CVS to buy a 5 pack of blades. I have done it a few times. I have to throw few out but worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Okay, here's your briefing.

Drill Sergeants are highly suspicious of things that are easily "weaponized". Even though you'll be issued a folding entrenching tool with a wicked serrated edge for chopping through roots. They aren't going to like tucks of blades.

Take a cartridge razor, as others have suggested. Mine in Basic/AIT was a Mach 3. Do not go there thinking a razor they give you (because you did not follow the packing instructions given to you by your recruiter) is going to be any good.

Because here is what nobody else is going to tell you. You'll need TWO razors.

One you use, daily, and one you display as part of your kit for locker/footlocker inspections. Your display razor should be pristine and unused. And it can simply be a cheap, one blade Gillette "Good News".

When I went through, your daily use personal hygiene stuff wasn't considered "inspectable". You kept it in a dopp bag.

You will not have time--or the need--to do 3 pass shaves. You'll do a one pass WTG and it will be enough. And you'll shave every day.

Ah, but what about the other stuff? Use a canned, pressurized foam or gel. Blasphemy, I know. It is what everyone else will use, and Basic isn't about sticking out. It's about blending in. There IS that canned Proraso Red. I'd go with it.

Aftershave? I got through Basic with a bottle of Afta aftershave balm. A small drop will do.

Oh...and don't worry. You aren't going to go through 7 or 8 or however many weeks Basic is now without going to the PX. They will march you all down at some point so you can replenish these items.

Top Bottom