What's new

Gillette Fat Boy for Sensitive skin?

Alright gents. Here’s the deal. I know this is a highly opinionated question, and there is no right or wrong answers because everybody is different. this has probably been posted somewhere, but so be it. (Ymmv, as per the usual).

Alright Now that we have the disclaimer out of the way.

I have a NOS 1961 Gillette 195 Adjustable “Fat Boy” DE razor in route. I tend to have sensitive skin. (I can’t shave ATG. I’ve tried, and I’m fine with some XTG on the sideburns, and WTG on my neck area for a DFS) So because I’ve never owned an adjustable razor. What would be your advise to find the right dial setting. Should I dial up, and go down? Maybe Dial down and go up? Try it at setting 3 or 4, and possibly stay there or go up from there? Or Maybe turn it up to 5 on my tough mustache area? I only really know that 9 is the most aggresive setting, and to open the “barn doors” before adjusting the dial to prevent unnecessary torque.

I just want to have a good idea of what it is I’m doing with this thing, and have a little bit of a gameplan before I pop a blade in it and shred my face up like a cheese grater. Not sure if it matters but my ”daily driver” is a 1946 Gillette Aristocrat in a very very good condition. Which does a great job, and I love her unconditionally. Your time, and help is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
I have a fatboy which was restored and replated that I use, have sensitive skin. Still working out the best settings. I guess they are going to be different for everyone. I find 3 to 4 aggressive enough for my first pass WTG. Tend to drop down to a 2 for XTG. But I still nick myself from time to time and am still fairly new to DE shaving. My advice would be to start on the lowest setting and work out what works for you.

Take a look at a slim adjustable as well as they are lovely to shave with.

IIRC, somewhere in the 3-4 range would be a good place to start, similar to a Superspeed. 5 would be more like the Red Tip. I have not tried an Aristocrat but I think they would fall somewhere between the Red Tip and Superspeed. I prefer to just experiment to find a good setting and leave it there.

IIRC, somewhere in the 3-4 range would be a good place to start, similar to a Superspeed. 5 would be more like the Red Tip. I have not tried an Aristocrat but I think they would fall somewhere between the Red Tip and Superspeed. I prefer to just experiment to find a good setting and leave it there.
Ah gotcha. Good ol set it and forget it method lol

I have a fatboy which was restored and replated that I use, have sensitive skin. Still working out the best settings. I guess they are going to be different for everyone. I find 3 to 4 aggressive enough for my first pass WTG. Tend to drop down to a 2 for XTG. But I still nick myself from time to time and am still fairly new to DE shaving. My advice would be to start on the lowest setting and work out what works for you.

Take a look at a slim adjustable as well as they are lovely to shave with.
Good advise! That’s actually kinda cool you got it restored. Was that pretty expensive?

I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin and have no problem using the my Fatboy D4 on 5. Type of blade you use also can make a difference.

Ah gotcha. Good ol set it and forget it method lol
Some people would say you are not using the razor to its fullest capacity, but I think this was the way most people used them "way back when". From the manufacturer's point of view, they could sell one razor to everybody and do it cheaply because of the economies of scale (remember this razor sold for $1.95 back then). Everybody could adjust the razor to their preference. Fiddling with the adjustment while shaving might be done if you had not shaved for a few days, but generally it was not changed during the shave. That's "being too fussy" about shaving.
:smile1:

So because I’ve never owned an adjustable razor. What would be your advise to find the right dial setting. Should I dial up, and go down? Maybe Dial down and go up? Try it at setting 3 or 4....
Start on setting 4 and see what type of shave you get would be be my suggestion. The razor blade is more important so try a few till you find one you like then work on technique.

I use my FB on 5. I have sensitive skin on my neck. I have found a Nachet works best for me. The Gillette adjustables often have safety bars that are not straight. They smile at you when you sinch the blade down. They are easily straightened. Just my 2 cents.

Some people would say you are not using the razor to its fullest capacity, but I think this was the way most people used them "way back when". From the manufacturer's point of view, they could sell one razor to everybody and do it cheaply because of the economies of scale (remember this razor sold for $1.95 back then). Everybody could adjust the razor to their preference. Fiddling with the adjustment while shaving might be done if you had not shaved for a few days, but generally it was not changed during the shave. That's "being too fussy" about shaving.
:smile1:

+1! Yep! Once the user found ’his setting,’ then that is where the razor would likely stay. Most guys just wanted to get shaved and off to work! (Sounds like me during most of my life.) :thumbup: :thumbup:

I generally go high WTG with all of my adjustables and dial down against the grain. Depending on the razor, ATG could be anywhere from 3 (Fatboy/Slim/Super 84/3000S) to 1 (Gibbs/VB Emperor/Variant/Rex)

I have a 46/47 aristocrat and 2 fat boys so I can honestly tell you that an aristocrat is equivalent to a fat boy setting at 3. If you do multiple passes then a fat boy setting at 2 should be great for sensitive skin and doing multiple passes.

Larry

Top Bottom