What's new

Gillette Fat Boy for Sensitive skin?

I have a 46/47 aristocrat and 2 fat boys so I can honestly tell you that an aristocrat is equivalent to a fat boy setting at 3. If you do multiple passes then a fat boy setting at 2 should be great for sensitive skin and doing multiple passes.

Larry
That actually helps tremendously. So our aristocrats are generally considered to be on the mild side, and not very aggressive?
6F917C1C-B107-4305-9732-BB54715CB57A.jpeg

That actually helps tremendously. So our aristocrats are generally considered to be on the mild side, and not very aggressive?View attachment 1054038

they are not really that aggressive but they do shave quite well and comfortably. It has to do with the head geometry and how the blade gets clamped down. You can make an Aristocrat a bit more aggressive by not tightening it down too much, but that’s taking a chance for having that blade loosen up during a shave. Where the fat boy shines is when you use different blades and different grades of sharpness between them, it’s nice to know that you can adjust the aggressiveness of what ever blade you throw in it and still tailor it to your facial skin type.

Larry

here is my aristocrat:

00A0DFEE-C7FA-417A-92BB-48764DEBA1BC.jpeg

they are not really that aggressive but they do shave quite well and comfortably. It has to do with the head geometry and how the blade gets clamped down. You can make an Aristocrat a bit more aggressive by not tightening it down too much, but that’s taking a chance for having that blade loosen up during a shave. Where the fat boy shines is when you use different blades and different grades of sharpness between them, it’s nice to know that you can adjust the aggressiveness of what ever blade you throw in it and still tailor it to your facial skin type.

Larry

here is my aristocrat:

View attachment 1054041
She is a very pretty razor. Replies like yours is why I love this place. There’s always a little trick for just about everything

She is a very pretty razor. Replies like yours is why I love this place. There’s always a little trick for just about everything

I have on hand:

46/47 aristocrat
2-fat boys
2-slims
2-short comb news (one slim bar/one regular bar)

and don’t get me started on my straight razor collection. Oldest one I have is about 190 years old. I have about 21 of those.

beware the rabbit hole.

always willing to help a board member, glad you appreciate the help.

Larry

I have on hand:

46/47 aristocrat
2-fat boys
2-slims
2-short comb news (one slim bar/one regular bar)

and don’t get me started on my straight razor collection. Oldest one I have is about 190 years old. I have about 21 of those.

beware the rabbit hole.

always willing to help a board member, glad you appreciate the help.

Larry
My collection is still sort of new, and it’s growing. But yeah. I pretty much jumped down the rabbit hole. It’s pretty dark in here man. Haven’t seen a lick of sunlight in like 3 weeks. Even B&B has the lights off feature. Atleast the mail man drops my packages down here for me. (Just got 4 new boar brushes today)
2B670DC5-0393-4078-AB5A-E41E6995B6AD.jpeg
😂

My collection is still sort of new, and it’s growing. But yeah. I pretty much jumped down the rabbit hole. It’s pretty dark in here man. Haven’t seen a lick of sunlight in like 3 weeks. Even B&B has the lights off feature. Atleast the mail man drops my packages down here for me. (Just got 4 new boar brushes today) View attachment 1054045😂

Very nice collection, the Semogue brushes are amazing when broken in.The sterling soaps are amazing too, love how they perform. I’ve never gotten into a scuttle, for me it’s faster for me to face lather and get the job done. Wait till you really get curious for a few of these:

9C5789AA-C830-47EF-8280-D2A41F12B73B.jpeg6F7CC145-2FD1-4989-AB08-56292AA2100D.jpegE1990847-A587-427C-B0D1-548BF8D6F97B.jpeg

and then you experiment with The Wool Fat, Williams and that first smell of Tabac, your shave will never be the same:lol:

Larry

Very nice collection, the Semogue brushes are amazing when broken in.The sterling soaps are amazing too, love how they perform. I’ve never gotten into a scuttle, for me it’s faster for me to face lather and get the job done. Wait till you really get curious for a few of these:

View attachment 1054046View attachment 1054047View attachment 1054048

and then you experiment with The Wool Fat, Williams and that first smell of Tabac, your shave will never be the same:lol:

Larry
With the scuttle, believe it or not I do face lathering and bowl lathering. What I like to do for face lathering is load the brush up real good, (after soaking the brush, and draining the water out of the bowl portion of the scuttle) and stand it up in the center of my hot scuttle (I microwave that bad boy for 90 seconds). Drink me an ice cold beer, listen to some good music while it warms up. After my first pass I usually flick some hot faucet water into it and lather up the rest in the bowl. By that time my scuttle usually isn’t too hot that it breaks down the soap but it’s not cold by any means.(I noticed it doesn’t break down the lather in a loaded brush by itself, however.) I’ll let the lather warm up. Usually there’s enough lather for 2-3 more passes but for me I’ll do one more pass and some touch ups

Last edited:
With the scuttle, believe it or not I do face lathering and bowl lathering. What I like to do for face lathering is load the brush up real good, and stand it up in the center of my hot scuttle (I microwave that bad boy for 90 seconds). Drink me an ice cold beer, listening to some good music while it warms up. After my first pass I usually flick some hot faucet water into it and lather up the rest in the bowl. By that time my scuttle usually isn’t too hot that it breaks down the soap but it’s not cold by any means.(I noticed it doesn’t break down the lather in a loaded brush by itself, however.) I’ll let the lather warm up. Usually there’s enough lather for 2-3 more passes but for me I’ll do one more pass and some touch ups

Lol I get yelled at from the wife on weekends for shavin for 20 min when I use my straights, if I used a scuttle she would KILL me for taking longer. From what I heard and tried myself is cold water shaving. In the summertime it helps with razor burn ESPECIALLY on a hot day. BTW your missing out on the best aftershave staple.... You need to try "Lucky Tiger" :thumbup1: and stay away from p.160 if you have sensitive skin. I love P.160, but I get red rash on my neck everytime which fades away after 15 min or so. Ive always had an obsession with shaving from when I was a kid watching my dad everyday. Here I am at 42 and love every morning I get up and do it, it never feels like a chore or a bother.

Larry

I think I started w 2 or 3 the first time. Then moved to 5 and as someone said; kept it there.... Haven't used them in a long time, but towards the end, I was doing 7 first pass , then 4 or 5. Been using OC's mainly. At some point, you may want to try an OC, maybe you get away with one pass with the grain... or one + touchups.... Schone.

Lol I get yelled at from the wife on weekends for shavin for 20 min when I use my straights, if I used a scuttle she would KILL me for taking longer. From what I heard and tried myself is cold water shaving. In the summertime it helps with razor burn ESPECIALLY on a hot day. BTW your missing out on the best aftershave staple.... You need to try "Lucky Tiger" :thumbup1: and stay away from p.160 if you have sensitive skin. I love P.160, but I get red rash on my neck everytime which fades away after 15 min or so. Ive always had an obsession with shaving from when I was a kid watching my dad everyday. Here I am at 42 and love every morning I get up and do it, it never feels like a chore or a bother.

Larry
Might be my next AS. I’m always looking for the next best thing. But yeah, your wife would kill you. For me between my shower, drinking beer, music, and eventually shaving. It’s about a 90 minute spa treatment. 😂

I am in your boat. Sensitive skin, tough beard. First, the fatboy: don't be afraid to experiment. You might find that it works best say at 3. You might find it works best at 7. I used mine for years at 7 and am now happy using it at 3. Dialing up for later passes can work really well. It does for me. Bottom line: experiment.

Second: With my skin and beard I found that the less water I use the better. More water means softer skin and more sensitivity and more razor burn. The general advice is to use lots of hot water. For me that's a recipe for razor burn. My skin seems to absorb water and it gets more fragile the more water I use. Instead of water, I use Proraso Pre, rub it in and then lather. I don't use water until it's time to rinse off.

Good luck, keep us posted as to what works for you.

The fatboy is a great razor and I hope you like it as much as I like mine.

I am in your boat. Sensitive skin, tough beard. First, the fatboy: don't be afraid to experiment. You might find that it works best say at 3. You might find it works best at 7. I used mine for years at 7 and am now happy using it at 3. Dialing up for later passes can work really well. It does for me. Bottom line: experiment.

Second: With my skin and beard I found that the less water I use the better. More water means softer skin and more sensitivity and more razor burn. The general advice is to use lots of hot water. For me that's a recipe for razor burn. My skin seems to absorb water and it gets more fragile the more water I use. Instead of water, I use Proraso Pre, rub it in and then lather. I don't use water until it's time to rinse off.

Good luck, keep us posted as to what works for you.

The fatboy is a great razor and I hope you like it as much as I like mine.
I absolutely adore this fat boy. Just got it today and used it. Super close, smooth, comfortable shave. 5 has been the magic setting so far. I love my 1946 aristocrat but this fat boy is my new “daily driver”. I did notice my fat boy was well oiled. I wonder if it’s because it’s new old stock.
79E9E9F3-4650-4F68-B59B-BF3B740BBCA6.jpeg

I absolutely adore this fat boy. Just got it today and used it. Super close, smooth, comfortable shave. 5 has been the magic setting so far. I love my 1946 aristocrat but this fat boy is my new “daily driver”. I did notice my fat boy was well oiled. I wonder if it’s because it’s new old stock. View attachment 1055077

Looking good there!.....The settings depend on how sharp a blade is for your skin type.....smoother shaving blades tend to go from the 5 to 9 side without a weeper on your skin.....sharper blades like your feathers you tend to wanna go to the 5 to 1 side. You can tell because after the first pass if you see a weeper you wanna go down a click or 2 (to the low side) and then try it again. If im using a new blade brand that I haven't used before I tend to go with a 5 setting and then go from there based on the weepers and comfort of my shave. It sounds all complicated but in time you will get it and how nice it is to have that adjustability in a shave. BTW the oil is there so the threads dont lock up.....I tend to do a soak in Dawn dish soap and hot water bath for about 15 min and clean with a tooth brush about twice a year to help keep the gunk out of the internal threads. If the threads bind a little I add a little mineral oil to the bottom and open and close it a little. I go the extra step with a head soak in Barbicide for good measure to keep infections to a minimum on my skin. I had a bad staph infection from the 5 bladed Gillette Fusion....don't want to take that chance again.

Good advise! That’s actually kinda cool you got it restored. Was that pretty expensive?
I found them restored on Ebay. Theres a great seller in Slovakia that restores them. Razor emporium also have this service but you have to pay customs. Executive shaving company sell them but they are slightly more expensive.

I think I started w 2 or 3 the first time. Then moved to 5 and as someone said; kept it there....

A third vote for this. Get experience on 3....find your blade....crank it up to 5 for efficient shave (which I find helps the sensitivity). Try a Nacet.

Sadly everyone seems to feel obligated to toughen up and use or at least post high numbers.

Sensitive skin so sensitive that you cannot go ATG and still you go 5 on your first outing?
I don't get it. But I fail to understand the trend to aggressive razors in general.

br
godek

You'll be fine with the Fat-Boy and sensitive skin, just keep the setting in the low to mid range, not that 7-9 are touch, but they do take a bit more care to prevent a nick.

While I love my Fat-Boy, it isn't my daily driver, I get a better shave, both more comfortable and closer with several others. For very sensitive skin, it probably wouldn't be my first choice, adjustable or not, however, I'm a daily BBS guy, whether that's two, three, or four passes. My first pick for super easy on the face would be either a Rockwell, with plate 2 or 3, Karve with plate A-D, a OneBlade, or Futur/Clone set at 1-2. (The OneBlade does take a specific blade, but they're smooth, and the Core can be had for $20, and nearly impossible to get a nick from).

The other three all take a standard DE Blade, and other than caution when loading the Futur/Clone, are all super easy on the face. The Futur & clones look menacing, but at the lower settings feel very mild on the face, yet clear the growth quite well, and I personally find all three smoother or more comfortable than my Gillette adjustables (I own all three: Fat-Boy, Slim, and Super Adjustable). - It's not like I only like mild razors, as my Timeless 95 OC is also one of my favorites.

To extend the list to Five(5), the smaller gapped Timeless 0.68 is also exceptionally smooth and easy on the face.

Sadly everyone seems to feel obligated to toughen up and use or at least post high numbers.

Sensitive skin so sensitive that you cannot go ATG and still you go 5 on your first outing?
I don't get it. But I fail to understand the trend to aggressive razors in general.

br
godek
Well in my defense it has been a while since I tried ATG. I’ve just been scared to Try it again. It could have been my technique or even poor lather at that specific time (this was before I started using Stirling sheep). I think That’s something I should try again. I actually went up to 6 on my fat boy, and prefer it. I’ve noticed that with more blade exposure I feel like I have more control over it. Kind of hard to explain. The reason I don’t go AGT is because my neck/jawline will get red bumps galore. (Atleast in the past) It looks like I took a weed wacker to my neck

Funny part is my neck is the second easiest area for ATG, after the cheeks. My tough area is the upper lip, otherwise, ATG is a walk in the park.

My advice, go steep on the ATG pass, and low pressure with the trouble areas. - And a sharp, but smooth blade.

Funny part is my neck is the second easiest area for ATG, after the cheeks. My tough area is the upper lip, otherwise, ATG is a walk in the park.

My advice, go steep on the ATG pass, and low pressure with the trouble areas. - And a sharp, but smooth blade.
What’s weird is that WTG my neck hair grows outwards left to right and right to left on both sides. Like this 👈🏻👉🏻 Right under my jaw if I’m looking at myself in the mirror

Top Bottom