What's new

Old time Christmas traditions

What has happened to all the old Christmas traditions? I can remember very simple times. I remember getting an orange in the toe of my stocking. One gift per child. Christmas cards by the dozens. I can remember going in the woods to cut the tree. What are your favourite Christmas traditions that you remember from your childhood?

We always buy each other underwear but put it in the wrong stocking.

Old Christmas traditions from my family are Minestrone soup on Xmas eve, and the topper is the last ornament to go on the tree.

Girly's family always sings the 12 days of Christmas as a group.

Breakfast for lunch and dinner was one...french toast and lots of butter was my favorite. Also, my wife thinks this is abominable because she likes to wrap presents, but when I was young we could tell the presents that were from Santa from those that were from Mom and Dad. Mom and Dad wrapped theirs; Santa didn't have time!

Also, Dad insisting on setting up the movie camera with the huge light bar before we were allowed into the living room where the tree and presents awaited us. Seemed like it took him forever to figure everything out!

I remember us kids leaving cookies and hot chocolate out for Santa. It turns out it was my father’s snack after we were in bed.

I can relate to many listed. Decorating the gingerbread cookies. Mom had lots of patience and we kids had lots of fun!

As a family, we read the passages of the Bible that told the Christmas story, then opened presents, one at a time, and boy howdy that could take a long time!

Eric; M, Karve Diem, BOSC

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
As grown people it pretty much falls to us to make or keep traditions. An orange in the toe of a stocking is a fine start.

The orange in the stocking continues in our household. The pickle on the tree is another. When the kids were young it was pajamas all day. Roasted goose in the evening. Calling friends and family. A lot has changed because we communicate differently. We use social media to say Merry Christmas. So let me take a moment to wish all on Badger & Blade, my favorite social network, the best of the season and a prosperous new year.

As grown people it pretty much falls to us to make or keep traditions. An orange in the toe of a stocking is a fine start.

While true, I find myself becoming ambivalent about how we used to celebrate Christmas. Christmas is nice and all, but I just no longer feel that there's a particular tradition that must be kept. My mother's parents were that way, and it bothered me as a child because I thought they were missing out on the season. Now I'm getting to where they were.

OTOH, my father loved Christmas and always wanted a Christmas tree. That was his tradition, and one he always wanted to keep.

A couple of years ago, we went to dinner at a local restaurant, which provided entertainment in the form of an a cappella trio caroling. It was nice.

We have two traditions. We always get a real Christmas tree. The Christmas tree hunt is always a special occasion. We also always read the account of the birth of Jesus from the Bible before opening any presents.

One thing I refuse to do at Christmas is give socks, undershirts, or underwear. We didn't have an abundance growing up so they were staples at Christmas. I prefer to keep them out from under the Christmas tree.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I remember leaving milk and cookies for Santa. What a thrill it was to see an empty glass and a few leftover crumbs on the plate on Christmas morning. We kept this tradition with our kids. They would write a short note to Santa along with the milk and cookies. I kept these letters in a box. Funny to read them now. Kids are so innocent.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rusty:
Hmmm...our family tradition is roasting fresh chestnuts during Christmas time. :thumbsup:

It brings me joy in remember that roasting chestnuts was always a 'huge' event and tradition in our family (I have 3 other brothers & 5 sisters), from scavenging (our neighbors who had chestnut trees most likely had another term...i.e., 'cabbaging'...stealing etc...), to sorting, to boiling, peeling and roasting.

proxy.php

The Mrs. and I have carried and passed down this family 'tradition' to our kids (when they come home for the holidays), and we hope they will pass on this humble and fun loving event to our grandchildren (certainty before Christmas because the good chestnuts will have passed their time).

Read More: Roast Chestnuts

proxy.php
"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. Jack Frost nipping at your nose...". Nat King Cole

I remember leaving milk and cookies for Santa. What a thrill it was to see an empty glass and a few leftover crumbs on the plate on Christmas morning. We kept this tradition with our kids. They would write a short note to Santa along with the milk and cookies. I kept these letters in a box. Funny to read them now. Kids are so innocent.

Parents thought it would be fun for us to leave apples for the reindeer. Was an adult before I told them I noticed there was always the same number in the produce draw on Christmas morning as their was before we took them out.

Top Bottom