What's new

the TRUE purpose of AFTERSHAVE

CR44SD.jpg

"...douse it on your face. Immediately you will feel your skin tingle..."

"Tingle". Yeah, I bet. I gotta think that slapping straight Listerine on your face right after a shave is going to get your attention in a hurry.

Use it as a gargle. Let your wife use it as an astringent and then she can also use your shaving cream as a shampoo. Ye gods, what else can you do with the stuff? Does it make a good antiperspirant? How about a hair tonic? Maybe take a bath in it?

I could see that, as Listerine is just an antispetic. Ive read that when Aqua Velva first came out, it was marketing as being usable as an aftershave and a mouthwash.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

"Tingle". Yeah, I bet. I gotta think that slapping straight Listerine on your face right after a shave is going to get your attention in a hurry.

Use it as a gargle. Let your wife use it as an astringent and then she can also use your shaving cream as a shampoo. Ye gods, what else can you do with the stuff? Does it make a good antiperspirant? How about a hair tonic? Maybe take a bath in it?
Lol! Believe it or not, my mom used to put some in our baths as kids, my dad told me to put it on my pimply face too.

Talk about FUD-based marketting. That image is a little over-the-top.

Didn't Listerine originally contain carbolic acid?

Aftershave isn't a particularly good antiseptic. People have gotten infected with MRSA despite using aftershave. Perhaps the method of application is insufficient?

thyme (product active ingredients)
eucalypyus (product active ingredients)
baptisia (product active ingredients)
gaultherin (product active ingredients)
benzo-boracic acid, 2 grains/fl. drachm (product active ingredients)
mentha arvensis (product active ingredients)

Thymol, menthol, Eucalyptol, and methyl salicylate are in modern Listerine, so it's pretty much the same as it was haha.

Listerine was originally a surgical antiseptic, and only available to medical professionals!

It probably didn’t have fluoride in it back then, so as a mostly alcohol solution it couldn’t hurt. Bay rum, with bay oil in it, would of course be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, all I had was the blue "cool mint" variety. I usually shave, splash witch hazel, let it dry on my face for a few minutes while I tidy up my shave area and equipment, shower, then apply after shave and balm post shower. I used Listerine instead of the witch hazel today. I expected a mediocre experience with the Listerine but it was actually surprisingly pleasant. The burn was there, but muted. I expected more. I believe the eugenol may be responsible for dulling it. Burned less than in my mouth, and less than most alcohol aftershaves I have. I did have a good shave though so it may burn more with nicks, cuts, or irritation. The smell was of course minty and mediciny, but the mint/menthol cooling was comfortable and refreshing! It left my skin feeling soft and smooth but there was a hint of stickiness when dry probably due to the sweeteners. Since it was only on my skin for 5 minutes pre shower this was not an issue. The "original" may be better in that dept.

It won't be making it into my aftershave rotation, but it did better than expected! I would not hesitate to use again if aftershaves were banned by bearded hipsters.

Illness from infected shave cuts was a thing? Aristocrat who financed the King Tut discovery in the 1920s died from infected shave cut. Only occurrence have ever heard about.

Top Bottom