What's new

the TRUE purpose of AFTERSHAVE

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Illness from infected shave cuts was a thing? Aristocrat who financed the King Tut discovery in the 1920s died from infected shave cut. Only occurrence have ever heard about.
It was "KING TUT'S CURSE FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE!!!!" I saw the movie at the drive in!

Apparently, illness from razor cuts used to be a real concern. In addition to the King Tut guy, here are a few more. Plus one badger brush victim.

5 Men Who Died From Shaving
There were many more than just 5 , but these 5 represent the danger of " unsanitary " shaving. A huge amount of men were infected with syphillis for several years from non sterile razors. Just a few years ago the state of California made it illegal for barbers to use non-disposable straight razors , hence today's use of tossable half blade type razors.

Way back when - all cuts were a problem, not just shaving cuts. Death from sepsis was way too common back in the 1800s. People believed in the Miasma theory, and that 'night air' was the cause of infections, disease and deaths. The germ theory was around mid-1800s but it was not readily accepted until the last years of the 19th century and into the early 20th century. Washing hands before surgery was practiced in 1850 by an early champion of antiseptic theory, but many doctors disagreed with it. Antibiotics didn't come into play in the late 20s.

But applying a soothing product after shaving was common back in the 1700s, long before the early days of germ theory. Vegetal products incorporating distilled florals and perfumes were mixed with glycerine water and alcohol for the barber trade way long before then; they were sold/used as soothing and fragrant applications. Listerine was invented in the late 1800s as an antiseptic, but advertising it as an aftershave didn't happen until the 1930s. Aqua Velva was around as an aftershave, a scientific one no less, in 1917. But the science behind it related to moisturizing effects, not antibacterial intentions.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Way back when - all cuts were a problem, not just shaving cuts. Death from sepsis was way too common back in the 1800s. People believed in the Miasma theory, and that 'night air' was the cause of infections, disease and deaths. The germ theory was around mid-1800s but it was not readily accepted until the last years of the 19th century and into the early 20th century. Washing hands before surgery was practiced in 1850 by an early champion of antiseptic theory, but many doctors disagreed with it. Antibiotics didn't come into play in the late 20s.

But applying a soothing product after shaving was common back in the 1700s, long before the early days of germ theory. Vegetal products incorporating distilled florals and perfumes were mixed with glycerine water and alcohol for the barber trade way long before then; they were sold/used as soothing and fragrant applications. Listerine was invented in the late 1800s as an antiseptic, but advertising it as an aftershave didn't happen until the 1930s. Aqua Velva was around as an aftershave, a scientific one no less, in 1917. But the science behind it related to moisturizing effects, not antibacterial intentions.
Thanks for posting this!

Didn't and Lord Carnarvon die from an infected nick or cut from shaving with a straight razor, whilst helping Professor Carter excavate Tutankhamen's tomb in Egypt?

There were many more than just 5 , but these 5 represent the danger of " unsanitary " shaving. A huge amount of men were infected with syphillis for several years from non sterile razors. Just a few years ago the state of California made it illegal for barbers to use non-disposable straight razors , hence today's use of tossable half blade type razors.
Gotta love malocchio! The most unique a/s suggestions on the board.
When I first found this site, and read his threads, I was like ‘who is this guy’?
Then after a few more, I was like ‘ that’s pretty interesting’.
Then after about a year I’m like ‘this guy’s brilliant’!
I shoulda’ been tipped off when I saw he had Shemp as his avatar!
Hey Malocchio, if you like Shemp check out: Millionaires in prison. Great movie.

Gotta love malocchio! The most unique a/s suggestions on the board.
When I first found this site, and read his threads, I was like ‘who is this guy’?
Then after a few more, I was like ‘ that’s pretty interesting’.
Then after about a year I’m like ‘this guy’s brilliant’!
I shoulda’ been tipped off when I saw he had Shemp as his avatar!
Hey Malocchio, if you like Shemp check out: Millionaires in prison. Many thanks for the kind words , but the reality is I've been a traditional wet shaver since 1963 , and along this long road of shaves you pick up a few good pointers. I tell you , in the 1980's - 1990's America lost all it's shaving treasures.Now with the magic of internet sales we can obtain fabulous shaving products worldwide. Most of the obscure products I have were made in international trades with fellow wet shavers...Postage fees today are sky high , so trading has really slowed down...

After reading this thread I tried using my Listerine original as aftershave, for purely experimental purposes, and it wasn't bad actually.
Better that clubman Bay Rum 😲

Top Bottom