What's new

Next purchase - advice appreciated!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I am in the annual restraint and have been trying to refine my list of items to buy at year end.

I have a tough beard and sensitive skin so my ideal is to find a razor that is efficient but not overly aggressive. I would appreciate any advice you can offer in refining my list!

The razors I have found that work best for me are:
  • RS10 aggressive plate: wonderful, easy shave, BBS. I can use this daily. My only quibble is that the BBS doesn’t last as long as I’d like
  • PAA Ascension in stainless: my sleeper razor. I came back to it after a long time in the drawer. If I buff it can get me the closest of any of my razors
  • Fatip Piccolo (old style, bought in 2013 or so): my quickest shaver. A bit rough with repeated use after a few days. The BBS doesn’t seem to last as long as with the PAA.
I have had but don’t really like:
  • Muhle Rocca – too blade feeley for how close it gets me
  • Timeless 0.95 SB – causes irritation sometimes, doesn’t shave close enough
  • Blackbird OC – too blade feeley. Great on a few days of growth but I can’t use it every day
  • iKon tech – for the longest time this was the only razor I’d use. But it’s just too aggressive and would tear my face up. Best razor I have ever used for multiple days growth.
  • Razorock Game Changer 0.68 and 0.84 – wonderful razors, but neither is capable of giving me BBS
  • Oneblade original – OK, but no fun to use, the BBS only lasted a few hours
  • Karve - even the most efficient plates couldn't get me BBS
  • Rockwell - even the most efficient plates couldn't get me BBS
Now, come January 1, I am looking to try a couple new things.
  • Razorock Game Changer JAWS – the review on this have been outstanding. I am not sure if it will get me BBS given that the .84 SB couldn’t
  • Phoenix Starling – never really used GEMs that much but it looks promising
  • Occam’s razor enhanced nano – 3 plates, from the looks of it very efficient
  • Stirling’s upcoming stainless – this is the one I am most excited about. Two plates, very efficient. Beta users have said it is as efficient as an ikon tech but can be used every day
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
The Sabre is my favorite GEM. Still waiting on my Blackbird so I can’t compare as between the two as to blade feel etc. but the Sabre is both uber smooth and uber efficient.

Like you, I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin. I have two Karve razors: a brass razor with D plate solid bar and a stainless razor with C plate open comb. Both give me great shaves. They are both efficient without feeling particularly aggressive.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I got the most aggressive plate on karve when it first came out. Could only get me DFS

I got the most aggressive plate on karve when it first came out. Could only get me DFS
What blade were you using in the Karve? If you use extremely sharp blades, you should have been able to achieve a close shave. If you are using a less sharp blade, then maybe not.

I also had no luck with the Karve, if you want to go high end the Wolfman WR2 SB 1.25 or greater is very smooth and efficient, I also think the Charcoal Goods level 3 version 2 is very smooth and as efficient or close to the Ikon Tech. I can use it daily for up to about 5 days without problems.

Would you consider a vintage Gillette? Here's a few I recommend:
1) RFB 2 piece
2) British open comb Aristocrat
3) American 1934 Aristocrat
4) Goodwill #160

Looks like you have a plan and it's a good one. I would guess the last one on your list (Stirling) is going to give you what you're looking for.

Tough to comment on a razor that is not out, but I would wait for the Stirling as that may be what you want. So I would wait a bit before committing (if you can)!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
What blade were you using in the Karve? If you use extremely sharp blades, you should have been able to achieve a close shave. If you are using a less sharp blade, then maybe not.
To be honest I forget. I know that I used a variety. I typically always try a feather.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I also had no luck with the Karve, if you want to go high end the Wolfman WR2 SB 1.25 or greater is very smooth and efficient, I also think the Charcoal Goods level 3 version 2 is very smooth and as efficient or close to the Ikon Tech. I can use it daily for up to about 5 days without problems.
This is great advice. I have always had wolfman and cg at the back of my mind. They are just so expensive!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Would you consider a vintage Gillette? Here's a few I recommend:
1) RFB 2 piece
2) British open comb Aristocrat
3) American 1934 Aristocrat
4) Goodwill #160
Thanks for the recommendation s!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Looks like you have a plan and it's a good one. I would guess the last one on your list (Stirling) is going to give you what you're looking for.
That is what I am hoping, that the Stirling will make the others unnecessary .

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Tough to comment on a razor that is not out, but I would wait for the Stirling as that may be what you want. So I would wait a bit before committing (if you can)!
That is the plan!

The Stirling is the razor I'm most looking forward to. I'd suggest, based on my experience, that if the Gamechanger .84 doesn't work for you, the JAWS won't either.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
The Stirling is the razor I'm most looking forward to. I'd suggest, based on my experience, that if the Gamechanger .84 doesn't work for you, the JAWS won't either.
Thanks very much. Based off this I have removed it from my to buy list.

BTW are you going to try for the annual restraint next year?

I would go with the Muhle R41. The shave, if you get it right, is simply out of this world. The finish is outstanding , it is perfect. The feel of the razor is amazing , the weight and balance perfect IMO. It is usable daily, it certainly is my daily choice but it took time to get the shave right with it. Now i shave in 5 min or under.
I know you said that you don't like the ROCCA but I haven't tried that one, maybe it is different.
There is a catch though. The R41 can ruin the other razors for you to be honest since when you get it right it is a very comfortable shave. But if you don't get it right .. well you know.

Thanks very much. Based off this I have removed it from my to buy list.

BTW are you going to try for the annual restraint next year?

I’m going to try again. This time, I’m going to spend serious prep time staring at all my stuff and repeating the mantras, “Do I really need anything else? How long do I have to live to enjoy all the stuff I truly enjoy? Why don’t I just PIF a bunch of stuff?” And many other mantras...

I would go with the Muhle R41. The shave, if you get it right, is simply out of this world. The finish is outstanding , it is perfect. The feel of the razor is amazing , the weight and balance perfect IMO. It is usable daily, it certainly is my daily choice but it took time to get the shave right with it. Now i shave in 5 min or under.
I know you said that you don't like the ROCCA but I haven't tried that one, maybe it is different.
There is a catch though. The R41 can ruin the other razors for you to be honest since when you get it right it is a very comfortable shave. But if you don't get it right .. well you know.

Interesting. I love the R41 (2013), but I’ve only shaved with it a few times, and never heard it described as a daily driver (without consistently high concentration). Beginners luck for me? Well, it seemed too good to be true, so I ordered a Rocca V3, which I plan to test drive tomorrow or the next day. I was looking for something between the GC .84 and the R41. — Got my fingers crossed. :001_smile

Sorry to digress.

I now only use two razors, Mühle R41 and Razorock SLOC. Definitely opposite ends of the razor spectrum. Both razors give a very fine shave.

The more aggressive R41 giving a longer lasting, cleaner feel shave, but demanding respect. I find using a sharper blade, such as an Astra, works well for me with the R41. Less sharp blades, such as a Personna Blue, tend to tug a bit. I can use this razor everyday if needed, without issues.

The RR SLOC is a mild razor, almost impossible to make a technical mistake. Takes a little more work to get a really close shave, but doesn't seem to be as fussy about which blade is being used.

Though I can use either razor everyday, my shave routine is usually M-W-F with the weekend off. The R41 on Mondays, after that weekend growth and the SLOC on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Top Bottom